Best way to get B9/Folate before TTC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-04-2014, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Okay so I understand that taking folic acid is not recommended (among more health savvy circles) and instead you should take methofolate or folate?  I also understand that if you test positive for the MTHFR gene that even that isn't enough and you have to do something different because your body won't convert the folic acid supplement into something that is bioavailable.  I haven't had the test, but I do suspect that I don't absorb B vitamins very readily so I may need to take bigger doses.  I plan to TTC in a few months and I quickly want to start boosting my folic acid.  The question is:  What form?  What brand?  In the meantime I'll beef up on things like asparagus, avocado and I do take raw liver pills each day, but I am probably depleted in just about everything from two relatively close pregnancies during which I vomited half the time and lost 20 lbs each time.  So I don't think diet alone will be enough for someone like me.  Any guidance is appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 02-13-2014, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Does someone have advice for this mom?

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 7 Old 03-08-2014, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Are there naturopaths in your town?   Sorry I don't have the answer!

#4 of 7 Old 03-10-2014, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

There is one. I've worked with her a bit but I'm not very impressed so I hesitate to spend money on a consultation with her. greensad.gif
#5 of 7 Old 03-10-2014, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What does your allopathic doctor have to say?  Any clues there?  I know you could google "best foods for folate" but it sounds like there may be more going on if you lost all that weight and it sounds like you suspect something yourself.

#6 of 7 Old 03-11-2014, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

I'm taking Thorne prenatal vitamins, which I got from my naturopathic doctor. It has the right form of folate, but not a high dose (266 mg, to be taken 3x/day). I am starting to think that I have the MTHFR mutation too and that it isn't a high enough dose. I was taking them (only 2x/day) during my last pregnancy, along with a healthy diet, and I still miscarried.

Now mom to a boy born January 2010. 
Cautiously expecting Dec 2014!

12/08 (6 weeks),  1/13 (11 weeks), &  12/13 (9.5 weeks)
#7 of 7 Old 03-15-2014, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

I'm so sorry NSmomtobe.  ((hugs))

I haven't seen my allopathic doctor about this because conceiving is just an idea right now.  No need to see him.  He's a WONDERFUL doc who is a huge fan and supporter of natural birth which is why we stick with him, but he doesn't know much about vitamins and supplements.  I am fairly sure he would just say, "Take some folic acid." 

There is definitely something more going on.  I had hyperemesis gravidarum both pregnancies which is what led to the steep weight loss.  I don't necessarily suspect the MTHFR for any particular reason...but I have just read so much about how if you are positive for the gene, then regular folic acid can actually do quite a bit of damage and even encourage cancer growth.  So, I figure why not be safe and take a folate that is likely tolerated by any woman, MTHFR or not and just not take my chances.

Tags
Trying To Conceive

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page