Success stories after vasectomy reversal? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-08-2014, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'm hoping to hear some success stories. My husband and I have said we are "not trying, but not not trying" for another child. The VR happened this past summer. We're both 30ish, so we are at the prime time in our lives for conception to occur.

I'm not the type to make myself go batty with charting my ovulation or anything like that. We do not want our journey to conception to feel like a medical event. For spiritual as well as financial reasons, we will not consider anything along the lines of IVF. I am only speaking for myself and my partner (yay reproductive rights!)

Considering we conceived our little one less than 3 months into our relationship (you read that right) we thought I was a regular old fertile Myrtle. My cycles have always been weird, but fairly regular in recent years- anywhere from 3-5 weeks is a "normal" cycle for me. We realized the vasectomy was a stupid, hasty decision. We were young, terrified, less than a year into our relationship, dealing with the stress of parenting a preemie, and on Medicaid. Boy, did a free vasectomy seem like the responsible thing to do! Now, we are hoping for as many more little blessings as the universe sees fit to send us.

How long did it take to conceive after your partner's VR? We have been "not not trying" since New Year's. Any advice, encouragement, whatever you send my way, will be greatly appreciated!

neg.gif 

There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings.   namaste.gif  ribbonpb.gif  joy.gif
#2 of 5 Old 03-10-2014, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
I have no advice or experience with VR's. But I did want to say that, while charting and OPK's can make it seem like work, it's very telling and such useful tools. If your cycles are a tad abnormal, there's like a two week period in which you could ovulate. And unless you're having sex every other day of that 2 week period, its a good possibility that you won't get pregnant. Just my opinion tho.

I too got pregnant within a few months - but we were also having sex practically every day. Not so much years later wink1.gif so if we want another, I feel we'll have to out a bit more effort into it....

Me , 38 years old; DH , 39 years old
DD - 11 , DD - 9 (both from previous marriage), and me and DH have DS - 4 .
07/04, 02/13, 10/13, 02/14,
05/14
#3 of 5 Old 03-10-2014, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DH had a vas in Dec 2007, then had a reversal in June 2009. I actually got pregnant right away, but had a m/c. I had two more m/c's before conceiving DS #5 in Feb 2010. My OB at the time told me that m/c due to chromosomal abnormalities are very common within the first six months after VR (presumably because the sperm are not the best quality immediately post-op), so perhaps it's a blessing in disguise that you haven't conceived yet. We have welcomed two beautiful, healthy DSs since the reversal, and I am currently 12 weeks pregnant with kiddo #7.
mareseatoats likes this.

Tabitha ~ devoted wife to my best friend Stephen ribbonyellow.gif and gentle Christian mom to six DSs: notes.gif E - 2/09/00REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifA - 3/05/03superhero.gifA- 6/05/06 guitar.gif H- 2/07/08 jog.gif J - 11/14/10 bouncy.gif T - 8/23/12 + stork-suprise.gif due 9/20/14!  brokenheart.gif DD Janae 10/19/09 angel2.gif
#4 of 5 Old 03-13-2014, 12:48 PM

OP, we got our VR July of 2013 and I am now 19 weeks :)

The stats are that it takes about a year for 35 and under and more as you get older (the woman).

There's so many other aspects to it, but I highly recommend this group:

http://community.babycenter.com/groups/a670695/trying_to_conceive_after_vasectomy_reversal

Just make sure you come back here for your due date club when you do conceive b/c babycenter isn't a very "natural-minded" community :)

SAHM to 2twins.gif (twin DDs, 6). One on the way Aug 14' joy.gif!!! Looking forward to (again!): belly.giffemalesling.GIFbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif Looking forward to (1st time!): stork-suprise.gifhomebirth.jpgplacenta.gifencapsulation!
#5 of 5 Old 03-31-2014, 12:25 PM

We also had a VR in Jul 2013 and were pregnant by Oct...I'm currently 28 weeks pregnant. There are so many variables to the situation, and it is so unique and personal for everyone. I'm 37, so I really did expect the process to take 1-2 years. We didn't do anything special to conceive, and I'm not sure why we got so lucky when so many ladies don't.

I recommend the board that Twopeaedpod posted, it is very helpful during the TTC phases.

Good luck! 

Me 37 hang.gif, DH - 43 computergeek2.gif, DSS-18 caffix.gif, DS - 17 wild.gif, DD - 11 joy.gif, and DS - due 6/14 belly.gif. Having another homebirth.jpg and nocirc.gif .

Tags
Trying To Conceive

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page