DHEA? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-09-2014, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Hi everyone - I expect to be on to the next cycle within a day or two so I'm re-evaluating my TTC regimen. A friend just told me that I should try DHEA, which she was prescribed (we're in Canada, can't buy it OTC) while preparing for IVF. She conceived naturally after being told it was impossible, in part due to poor egg quality and advanced maternal age. I've done some reading and it does seem to be a miracle-worker for older mothers in particular. I'm 40. 

I'd love to know about your experience with DHEA and generally your thoughts on it. My doctor would likely prescribe it if I ask but getting a non-urgent appointment can take forever. However, I'm going to the US on vacation in 10 days so I could buy it then - if you recommend it, please let me know what brand/dose.

Thank you!

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 03-10-2014, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

JessieBird - I am also 40.  We were TTC 6 months before conceiving.  I entertained all sorts of ideas and DHEA was one of them.  Upon further research, however, I found that DHEA is only helpful with a certain hormone imbalance.  If you are not imbalanced in that way, it can actually be harmful to your efforts.  I would suggest getting the doc appt and appropriate blood work before going down that road. 

My regimen ended up being Ubiquinol and PQQ for egg quality (mitochondrial support), plus VitC and VitE for progesterone support during the LP.  Of course, I was also taking a prenatal.  I got pg 2 months after starting this routine - no idea if it contributed or not but I will try it again when doing the quick turnaround to produce a sibling for our #1 that's due in August.

Oh, and I also tried Femaprin (which has Vitex in it) and didn't like it at all.  It gave me hideous symptoms during the TWW and awful AFs!

#3 of 8 Old 03-26-2014, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I am in canada too. 44. You can buy dhea in Amazon.ca
#4 of 8 Old 03-26-2014, 02:10 PM

Innacircle what ppq did you use...I was googling and it looks like a great match with ubiquinol!
#5 of 8 Old 03-26-2014, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

chilee - PQQ I ordered off Amazon.  I got the Life Extension brand: PQQ Caps with BioPQQ 10mg, and I took 1 capsule (10mg) per day.

#6 of 8 Old 03-26-2014, 03:29 PM

Thanks! Twice as expensive on .ca than .com
#7 of 8 Old 04-10-2014, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Thanks everyone! I'm sorry that I'm so late replying. We want off on our trip and just got home. I saw your comment, chilee, so I didn't buy any in a US pharmacy just in case I got hassled coming home, even though it probably would have been cheaper. I was going to order on amazon.ca this week but much to my total shock, I got a BFP a few days ago. I'm still stunned. My instincts tell me that something's not quite right though so I will follow up on the DHEA if we have to ttc again (hope not). Thanks also for the reality check, innacircle, I'm a shameless self-medicator and really should be careful.

Thank you and best wishes everyone!

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
#8 of 8 Old 04-10-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessieBird View Post

Thanks everyone! I'm sorry that I'm so late replying. We want off on our trip and just got home. I saw your comment, chilee, so I didn't buy any in a US pharmacy just in case I got hassled coming home, even though it probably would have been cheaper. I was going to order on amazon.ca this week but much to my total shock, I got a BFP a few days ago. I'm still stunned. My instincts tell me that something's not quite right though so I will follow up on the DHEA if we have to ttc again (hope not). Thanks also for the reality check, innacircle, I'm a shameless self-medicator and really should be careful.

Thank you and best wishes everyone!

fabulous news! sticky vibes girl :)

Tags
Trying To Conceive

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page