Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By pokeyac
  • 1 Post By nsmomtobe

#1 of 26 Old 03-11-2014, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Is anyone taking baby aspirin (low dose) while TTC?

If so, why are you taking it? (i.e., known issue, recommendation of a doctor, etc.)

When are you taking it? (every day vs. only after O, time of day)

Have you noticed any changes in your cycles since starting it? Any side effects?

It's been suggested to me by an RE (after 3 miscarriages), but she doesn't know if it will help. She just thinks it can't hurt. I am nervous about taking it without a medical indication. Also, I still breastfeed a 4-year-old and worry about the effects on him.

Now mom to a boy born January 2010. 
Cautiously expecting Dec 2014!

12/08 (6 weeks),  1/13 (11 weeks), &  12/13 (9.5 weeks)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 26 Old 03-11-2014, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
You can check LactMed for info on using aspirin while breastfeeding. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/news/lactmed_announce_06.html

I used it while TTC. I had a chemical pregnancy and I was concerned that I had conceived but the cells did not implant properly and I heard that baby aspirin can help with implantation because it's a blood thinner. My acupuncturist also seemed concerned with my flow during AF being consistent and not stopping and starting and not having too many clots. I thought the aspirin might help. My RE recommended it only when I was using injectibles because it can help prevent side effects from OHSS that may happen with injectibles. I took it all through my cycle, but my RE only told me to take it after O, I believe. I figured it couldn't hurt and might help.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 26 Old 03-11-2014, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I heard to take it until O, but it was on another board 7 years ago. def was not med advice.

#4 of 26 Old 03-11-2014, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeyAC View Post

You can check LactMed for info on using aspirin while breastfeeding. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/news/lactmed_announce_06.html

That was helpful. Thanks. Most of the studies looked at very high doses, as I expected, but there was some information on low doses:

"Aspirin is best avoided during breastfeeding; however, some expert opinion indicates that low-dose (75 to 162 mg daily) aspirin may be considered as an antiplatelet drug for use in breastfeeding women... If low-dose aspirin is taken, avoid breastfeeding for 1 to 2 hours after a dose to minimize antiplatelet effects in the infant."

What are injectibles and OHSS? I know that aspirin therapy is often combined with the blood thinner heparin (which is injectible), but my doctor didn't think my blood work results warranted full heparin. However, I question whether it is effective on its own and whether it has side effects on the baby. Did you conceive on it? Did you continue to take it for your whole pregnancy? Were there any effects on your son? I guess the biggest concern is heart development.

I also have concerns about my flow--mainly that it is too light, but I've had a lot of spotting lately and clots, especially since my last miscarriage (which was almost entirely clots).

#5 of 26 Old 03-11-2014, 10:18 PM

I took it until o the month I conceived my first. I was 37 and had been trying for over two years. Also took b6

For my second I used maca and b6. I was breastfeeding

Number three nothing

This month I used maca, b6, and asprin until o. I am bf a toddler.
I had early m/c chemical one full cycle ago.
#6 of 26 Old 03-12-2014, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

I hadn't even considered taking it just until O, but I understand that theoretically that could make the lining thicker. I guess if you only took it the month you got pregnant, you can't say whether it did make things heavier. Also, if you only took it until O, I guess you didn't use it during pregnancy.

I am planning to take it after O to help with implantation and will continue taking it during pregnancy for I don't know how long to prevent clots in the placenta. I am worried about the effect of it on the developing baby though and on myself--particularly the chance of hemorrhaging during delivery--so I don't want to take it for the whole pregnancy. But I don't want to risk a clot in the placenta, because for all I know, it *could* have been the cause of my miscarriages.

BTW, if I don't notice any side effects taking it after O, I might start taking for my whole cycle--especially if I do not see a change in my period from taking it after O alone.

#7 of 26 Old 03-12-2014, 08:16 AM

got af today. a day early, but a 1 day longer luteal phase. will see if there is any effect on amount of flow :)

#8 of 26 Old 03-12-2014, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry about AF, but thanks for letting me know!

#9 of 26 Old 03-12-2014, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
My nearly 3yo would not be here without baby aspirin! After I had DS#1, I had two unexplained miscarriages and my insurance wouldn't cover testing unless/until I had 3 in a row. I decided to try baby aspirin because it "might help, couldn't hurt" according to the OB and a couple of midwives I talked to. I also tried a bunch of other stuff like progesterone, b6, etc. I took the baby aspirin daily, but only starting at 16dpo, after several positive tests including a blood test at the OB's office. I stopped it some time between 24-28 weeks.

I ended up having a 3rd miscarriage last summer and finally got the testing done and found out that I have a blood clotting disorder (APS) that causes my miscarriages and that the baby aspirin was almost certainly what got me DS#2. With this pregnancy, I've taken baby aspirin daily since 1-2 weeks before conception and will continue through birth for the rest of my life. I also started Lovenox (a blood thinner) at 16 weeks. We are at 25 weeks now and everything is going very smoothly.

As far as side effects or effects to my cycle, I don't think there have been any at all. However, I've only taken it through one period and stopped taking it before I miscarried, so I don't know how it will affect menstrual bleeding.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#10 of 26 Old 03-12-2014, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Sihaya, that is very good to hear! I'm glad that your current pregnancy is going so well and that you have a healthy boy. I was actually wondering if the baby aspirin alone could be effective without another blood thinner (since that seems to be the preferred treatment, but I do not qualify based on my bloodwork) but it sounds like it worked for your second son. So you have to take it for the rest of your life even when not pregnant? Is that because you are at high risk for blood clots? I guess it's a good thing you found that out.

What time of day do you take it? I have read that at night is better for lowering blood pressure, but my BP is not high (and tends to get very low during pregnancy) so maybe morning would be better? DS only nurses at night, so I just have to avoid taking it a few hours before that.

#11 of 26 Old 03-12-2014, 11:07 AM

I very nearly decided to stick with only the baby aspirin this time and changed my mind fairly late in the game. If I wasn't able to get Lovenox due to issues with doctors or insurance in future pregnancies, I would still feel fairly confident about taking the baby aspirin without other thinners.

With the APS diagnosis, I am at higher risk for blood clots, though I personally believe it is only an issue while pregnant. But since I have a family history of stroke and it's such a simple, cheap, and relatively safe medicine to take, I will continue for the rest of my life for prevention's sake.

I have low BP as well and so take it first thing in the morning, then the rest of my morning vitamins an hour later. I would definitely take it in the morning if he is only nursing at night.

#12 of 26 Old 03-12-2014, 12:04 PM

What are injectibles and OHSS? I know that aspirin therapy is often combined with the blood thinner heparin (which is injectible), but my doctor didn't think my blood work results warranted full heparin. However, I question whether it is effective on its own and whether it has side effects on the baby. Did you conceive on it? Did you continue to take it for your whole pregnancy? Were there any effects on your son? I guess the biggest concern is heart development.

I also have concerns about my flow--mainly that it is too light, but I've had a lot of spotting lately and clots, especially since my last miscarriage (which was almost entirely clots).

I used injectible fertility medications to get pregnant and they can cause Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome where your ovaries get over stimulated and it causes inflammation of the abdomen, etc. My doctor told me to take the aspirin to help prevent OHSS from my medications. I got pregnant the second cycle using this method. I think I stopped taking the aspirin early in the first trimester. I think I was more concerned about implantation than blood clots later in pregnancy. I haven't noticed any effects on my son. His heart has always been healthy. I had spotting too and B6 seemed to help. I think my spotting was due to low progesterone.

#13 of 26 Old 03-30-2014, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your input. I started using the aspirin today after confirming ovulation yesterday. Next cycle, I may start taking it earlier.

@chilee, do you have an update? Did it affect your flow?

@pokeyAC, I am glad it worked out for you. I don't want you to worry about whether your son's heart was affected. From what I understand, the risks are greatest in the 3rd trimester, so if you stopped taking it in the first trimester, I'm sure he is fine. The doctor didn't say how long I should take it (I'll talk to the OB monitoring my pregnancy when the time comes), but if it was up to me, I would stop around the 3rd trimester. I would worry about complications from blood clots, but they could be monitored at that point. I was given a prescription for progesterone, but I was told to stop taking that at the end of the first trimester.

@Sihaya, it's really good to hear your experience. Thank you for the advice to take it in the morning. What test diagnoses APS? I wish I had a definite diagnosis myself so I wouldn't feel like we were just guessing at the treatment. I have a family history of stroke too. 

#14 of 26 Old 03-30-2014, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSmomtobe View Post

@Sihaya
, it's really good to hear your experience. Thank you for the advice to take it in the morning. What test diagnoses APS? I wish I had a definite diagnosis myself so I wouldn't feel like we were just guessing at the treatment. I have a family history of stroke too. 
They ran the big recurrent loss panel on me, but the part that specifically diagnosed my issue actually measured the levels of several different antibodies. Any one of those levels being abnormal means you have APS. The specific antibody that was abnormal for me was anticardiolipin antibodies, but there are 5-6 others as well. I am glad we had the whole RPL panel done because I was certain I had MTHFR, which came back completely normal.

#15 of 26 Old 03-30-2014, 05:41 AM

I just caught your posts in the other blood clotting thread and wanted to let you know that Systemic Lupus Erythematosus is one of the subcategories of Antiphospholipid Syndrome (APS). Though you were tested for some clotting factors, it doesn't appear that you were specifically tested for the APS antibodies and so I would push for that next.

#16 of 26 Old 03-30-2014, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sihaya View Post

They ran the big recurrent loss panel on me, but the part that specifically diagnosed my issue actually measured the levels of several different antibodies. Any one of those levels being abnormal means you have APS. The specific antibody that was abnormal for me was anticardiolipin antibodies, but there are 5-6 others as well. I am glad we had the whole RPL panel done because I was certain I had MTHFR, which came back completely normal.

If you are referring to the ANA test, I had the panel done and I tested positive for anti-RNP.

#17 of 26 Old 03-30-2014, 06:21 AM

The ANA test is different than the one I am talking about and cannot diagnose APS. The results you got are not conclusive one way or the other, but suggest that you could have SLE. Further testing needs to be done in order to get an actual diagnosis. I don't have access to my lab results right now, so I can't provide the names of the exact tests that I had done to get the answers I got.

#18 of 26 Old 03-30-2014, 08:34 AM

my flow was still short and light :(

#19 of 26 Old 04-08-2014, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

Well, it's my first cycle on the aspirin and I got a BFP! I have added Prometrium (progesterone) to my routine and I hope this one sticks!

#20 of 26 Old 04-08-2014, 09:36 AM

Congratulations!!! You will be in my thoughts and I really hope this is what does it for you.

#21 of 26 Old 04-08-2014, 09:57 AM

Congratulations! Sending sticky vibes your way! smile.gif
angel2007 likes this.

#22 of 26 Old 06-26-2014, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Reviving this thread to ask again: How long do people usually take the aspirin for? I've heard of taking it for the whole pregnancy, stopping at 36 weeks early to prevent hemorrhaging at birth, and stopping at/before the 3rd trimester to prevent birth defects. I haven't been able to get a hold of the RE since becoming pregnant (because she specializes in infertility) and my doctor said he doesn't think I should be on it at all, so he would recommend that I get off it before the 3rd trimester.
angel2007 likes this.

#23 of 26 Old 06-26-2014, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I was on it until 30+ weeks when I was pg.

Congrats!!

Me - 39 - mthfr c677t and multiple unknown caused m/c's
DH - 40 - old and cranky
DS - 6 - ASD and severe adhd
#24 of 26 Old 06-27-2014, 03:46 AM

I stopped at 28 weeks with my second pregnancy (to prevent birth defects), but after I was actually diagnosed with a blood clotting disorder and put on blood thinners, my OB told me to take it right through the end of pregnancy and the birth. We chose to do a shot of pitocin immediately after birth and I had no issues with hemorrhaging. I will be on baby aspirin the rest of my life.

#25 of 26 Old 09-15-2014, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sihaya View Post
I stopped at 28 weeks with my second pregnancy (to prevent birth defects), but after I was actually diagnosed with a blood clotting disorder and put on blood thinners, my OB told me to take it right through the end of pregnancy and the birth. We chose to do a shot of pitocin immediately after birth and I had no issues with hemorrhaging. I will be on baby aspirin the rest of my life.
I don't know how I missed this the first time you told me or why I didn't reply the second time you posted this. I've been meaning to say congratulations on the birth of your daughter! I'm glad that you were able to stop at 28 weeks with your second child and everything turned out fine, because I think that is what I am going to end up doing. Since I have no known clotting disorders (and no new tests will be run on me during this pregnancy), the doctors do not see any reason for me to be on it into the 3rd trimester. I just have a really big fear that if I stop taking it, I will get a blood clot in the umbilical cord, and I have carried this baby too far to lose him now.

#26 of 26 Old 10-01-2014, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter

I ran out of aspirin on the weekend so I decided to stop taking it (I'm at 29 weeks). I saw my new doctor yesterday and thought that she would agree because she was so uncertain about me taking it anyway, when I have no *known* clotting problem. She said she had spoken to a number of OBs, who all suggested I take it until at least 32 weeks (some say all the way until the end) so she recommended I go back on it and we will reassess at my next appt in 2 weeks. She is going to follow up with the original doctor who recommended it for me.

Tags
Trying To Conceive

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page