Anyone get BFP using IVF Donor sperm for home insemination? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-13-2014, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all. So I've been TTC using donor sperm and inseminating at home. Since Donor sperm is so expensive I was thinking about using IVF sperm as opposed to ICI. That way I could get like 3 vials for one cycle, and theoretically, up my chances. Anyone try this and achieve a BFP?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2014, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Which bank are you using? I would assume that an IVF sample actually has fewer sperm in it since they don't have to do as much hard work to get to the egg. This site even says the sperm in an IVF sample have lower motility than other samples because they can use ICSI to fertilize the eggs. Using these for ICI would decrease your chances of getting pregnant because there would be fewer sperm with lower motility.
http://www.azfertility.com/ivf-in-vitro-fertilization/additional-ivf-options/donor-sperm.php
More tries with lower quality and fewer sperm probably would not help. I think ICI-ready sperm is the way to go for at-home DIY. Have you looked at Northwest sperm bank? Their prices are pretty reasonable.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

I'm using Fairfax Cryobanks. They're local to me so I don't have the shipping costs and the website is user friendly. As far as pricing, they're only about $100 more for ICI vials, than NW, and there's way more donors to choose from. Plus, I like how it's set up for you to choose the characteristics you want in a donor and a lot of the child photos you can upload and view for free, plus you can view the donors medical and families medical info for free. I did NOT like the NW cite at all, just checked it out per your suggestion. On the cite it says IVF sperm can be used for home insem as well as ICI. I know it's fewer but I'm thinking that since I don't really have too many issues with getting pregnant I'll give it a whirl for one or two cycles, and thn go bk to either ICI or just be happy with my 2 DD's. I think my problem with my first try was I had forgotten tht my luteal phases are short and tht I was supposed to take the progesterone suppositories like I did with my other 2 pregnancies. Thanks so much for your help and if you think of anything else please feel free to share! smile.gif
Old 04-14-2014, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)

fransluvbubba, I'm using Fairfax Cryobank too. You're so lucky you don't have shipping costs. Shipping was almost $1000 to my location (I live overseas).  I agree with everything PokeyAC said. The quantity of semen you would need for home insemination is a lot more than IVF/IUI preparations because the sperm has to swim through the cervix, whereas in IUI, the sperm is deposited in the uterus. IUI has a slightly better chance of success than home inseminations-- would you consider that? 

Also, Fairfax has a forum where you can search for your donor to see if his sperm has worked for others. 

single mama to dd (June 2011)
#2 due December 2014!
Old 04-14-2014, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Wow girlspn, that's INSANE!!!! Yeah, they're only 35 mins from my house. I hear wht ur saying about the odds being against me. The reason I'm doing the home insem is cause I don't have tons of money to spend. I figure it only takes one lil guy, and u hear about people getting pregnant all the time with worse odds against thm. I may get one ICI vial and 2 IVF vials. I don't know. I spent $980 the last time and surely don't want to kp spending tht month after month. I don't really hav fertility issues other thn my LP's being short and I could kick myself for forgetting that and not using the progesterone. Who knows, I may have conceived on the first try if I had remembered. Ah well. But thanks for all of the great info ladies smile.gif
Old 04-15-2014, 03:23 PM

It only takes one sperm to fertilize the egg, but many of the sperm never make the journey all the way up to where the egg is. When they arrive, many sperm attack the egg to break down the outer coating so that one can enter. So, it only takes one, but it needs lots of help.

Would you be able to get some help pinpointing ovulation? That might help. You could have an ultrasound to see when your follicle is ready and then take a trigger shot to make you ovulate so that you can know when to inseminate. Just a thought. Sometimes an ultrasound and shot are cheaper than another vial of sperm. Unless you get really clear signals of when you are going to O, that might help. Fresh sperm can live in your body and be ready for several days before you O, but frozen only last about 24 hours so timing is essential.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I called Cryobanks and they said that the motility in their IVF sperm is not lesser than the ICI and IUI vials. It's just less. The other vials have 10 million and the IVF has 5 million. I get pretty clear signs of ovulation. The pain in my ovary, EWCM and my temp rises dramatically. I could ask my OB about what you said and see what he says whn I go to see him on Thur. Thanks so very much!!!!
Old 04-15-2014, 03:52 PM

Are you inseminating before the temp rise? Just checking.
That's good that the motility is just as good.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:29 PM

I would expect the motility to be the same for all samples from the same donor. But sperm count matters too, especially since at home inseminations would require the sperm to swim through the cervix, which means you would need a lot more sperm than in IUI/IVF, where the sperm don't have as many challenges.

#2 due December 2014!
Old 04-18-2014, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Pokey, I inseminate when I get a positive on my OPK. I'm also charting. Girlspn, I know the odds are rough. I try to stack the odds in my favor by laying down with my hips propped for an hour, using pre seed and putting a Soft Cup in after I inseminate and kp it in there for 10 hrs so that the sperm can be close to my cervix.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:11 PM

It seems like you covered all your bases, fransluvbubba! If the sperm is good and your timing is right, you would probably conceive soon. How many inseminations per cycle?

#2 due December 2014!
Old 04-18-2014, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Lol. I'm going to shoot for 3. How do you think I should space it? The sperm can last a week in the canister that Cryobanks provides.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:16 PM

I would do on the days of +opk, and then one the day after +opk. Last time I got 2 days of +opk, and I had the IUI the morning after the first one. I freaked out when I got the second +opk that evening of the IUI, was scared the IUI was too early. Anyway my temps show I ovulated on that 2nd +opk/IUI day. My dr prefers to inseminate before ovulation.

#2 due December 2014!
Old 04-19-2014, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, that's the plan. I'll let u know what happens. Thanks smile.gif
Old 04-21-2014, 12:05 PM

I was told to do the first insem as soon as possible after positive OPK and then one 12 hours later. If you are doing 3, you could do 1 then #2 12 hours later and #3 12 hours after that. That should be good coverage.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

I just read also that you should do it whn u get the faint line on the OPK. Because once you've ovulated it's too late. That you need to have the sperm in there waiting for the egg as it comes down. It's amazing how UNKNOWLEDGEABLE a lot if these OB's are. I am going to pick up my sperm tomorrow so we'll see!!!! Thanks Pokey! smile.gif
Old 04-21-2014, 08:40 PM

My OB did say to contact him even if I get a faint line on opk. I use the clear blue digital that gives a smiley face because my lines never get as dark as control. I used the clear blue ones alongside regular ones just in case. 

#2 due December 2014!
Old 04-21-2014, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Good OB! Mine SUCKS!!!! I'm switching once I get pregnant. Only using him now cause he participates with Cryo and is 2 mins from my house.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Highest odds of conception are two days prior to ovulation if the sperm has to swim through cervix. You should track cervical fluid and inseminate on high EWCF days, up to and including the positive OPK.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014
Old 04-23-2014, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Galatea. I inseminated this morning cause my OPK was light yesterday, but had gotten darker today. And it's so funny, cause this afternoon I think I'm ovulating. Got the dull achy pain in my back and pelvic area on the right side. Hoping this is the winner. I'm going to inseminate again this evening, approx 12-13 hrs later. Thanks so much for your response. smile.gif
Old 04-23-2014, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)

No problem - good luck!

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014
Old 04-23-2014, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Lol. Thanks!

Tags