Mothering Forum banner

blighted ovum

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  discalceata 
#1 ·
Hi,

Just went for our 7 week scan and the doctor told us we have a blighted ovum.

We did IVF 7 weeks ago.

I have been looking on the internet for more information about blighted ovum and have read many stories of women waiting till 10 - 12 weeks and going back for a scan and seeing a heartbeat.

Please advise.

Should we wait and go after 10 - 12 weeks for a scan again?

Or should we try IVF again?

Thanks

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazaman View Post

Hi,

We are now going into the 8 th week.

My wife has waited one more week and is then going for a scan and evacuation of the uterus.

She is in pain and is so upset.
I am very sorry. Perhaps you will see some development by then. did they do the scan internally or from the outside of her belly?

#6 ·
Thanks.

I hope we will see more but she says she feels none of the "i am pregnant " feelings.

They do the scan internally.

She does not want to go through with IVF anymore. Tired of the ups and down and now getting a "blighted ovum" just made it all worse.

#8 ·
I am so sorry you are going through this. I had a miscarriage due to a blighted ovum this past Sept. It is a particularly difficult loss when you have no body to bury. I was able to miscarry naturally at nearly 12 weeks. It was a difficult waiting period but going through the labor process and being able to see the little sac provided a great deal of closure for me. Some people find the grieving process more difficult b/c "there was never a baby" but my dr was adamant that we grieve our child, name our child. It felt weird at 1st but once we chose a name it gave us a place to put our love and our grief. Our dr also told us that a baby was in fact developing... it just either stopped developing when it was so small we could not see it or it was reabsorbed by my body. Either way, babies have a soul at conception and there is no doubt that precious soul is with God now. I hope this will bring you the tremendous comfort it brings me. I have been surprised at the intensity of my grief and how it lingers and pops up at the strangest times. It does get better and it has been an experience that I have learned and grown from quite a bit.

As for another child, I have read that it is very rare that a woman experiences repeat blighted ovum. I am blessed to be 22 weeks pregnant with our rainbow child. It is a very hard thing emotionally to open yourself up to be hurt again. I have been very anxious throughout this pregnancy. As a mother of 6 other children, I know too well they joy they bring is worth any hurt and tears as we wait for them! (and I even say this on a day they have been difficult!!! :) )

I will pray for your peace and comfort during this very hard time.

#9 ·
Hi,

Thanks for all the responses. It really means alot.

My wife has had enough and it is not going to try IVF again. She says she is to old to have a child now.

I really don't know what to do anymore and we both finally want a child and what with mothers day yesterday made it so much worse.

I feel like our lives are falling apart faster and faster.

She feels like she does not have a life anymore and everything is just a waste of time now. I so wish there is something that i could do.

She will not talk to the doctor or go near the hospital again.

Is there something that we can do or take to help it along naturally? I am still not ready to give up.

Thanks again.

Sorry. Not really in the best frame of mind.

#10 ·
Sending hugs to you both...MOther's day is not an easy day when you are grieving a child, longing for a child. I remember well the waiting period . It was extremely difficult b/c you really cannot fully grieve until you know it's really over. Such a time of limbo....I am so sorry you have to go through this. As for talking about trying again, may just table it for a little bit, don't try, don't not try just be together and support each other through the hurt you feel. You need each other more than ever right now. This is a grief you share that others cannot fully understand. Who know knows, maybe that love will need a name in 9 months :) I understand about worrying about being too old, I am 40. It has been a big fear of mine! But I hear stories everyday about older moms...Halle Berry was like 48 or something! I will keep praying for your peace and union in deciding.

#11 ·
Hi All,

Thanks for all the nice comments.

My wife had the D/C about 2 weeks ago and has been going through pain.

But over the the last 2 days she has begun to feel better.

So we have been trying again and then the next day she had some pain again and then it was gone. Nothing as painfull as before.

We are not sure when to trying again. Do we wait a week or what ?

So many sights say one thing and then others say something else.

Thanks again for al lthe support.

#12 ·
I'm glad she's feeling better. I hope she keeps improving.

I miscarried my blighted ovum at 11 weeks and the midwife told me I could start trying again after having a complete cycle once the miscarriage was over (I miscarried naturally without a D&C). There's nothing physically dangerous involved in trying, and more than one blighted ovum is rare.

It may help her to know that almost every sexually active woman miscarries at least once, usually a couple of times, and blighted ova are very common. When I had my first miscarriage (the blighted ovum was my second), it helped a lot to know that pretty much everyone goes through this. She's not damaged. It's just a sucky part of human reproduction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.