Ovulation without a temperature spike? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-23-2014, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I took a ovulation test on Wednesday, which said I was ovulating.  As of this morning (Friday), my temperature still hasn't spiked - it's still 97.3 like it's been for two weeks straight.  Could I have ovulated anyway?  I know the test means I will be ovulating within the next 12-36 hours, but at this point it's been 48 hours without the spike.  I'm confused.

pokeyac likes this.

mom to Atticus, born 08/27/12
#2 of 9 Old 05-23-2014, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Howdy neighbor! It takes some time for your temperature to rise. If you got a positive Wednesday, you could be ovulating today. Then it takes a little time for your body to start producing progesterone which makes your temperature rise, so it could be a day or 2 after you O that you see the temp spike. Depends on timing. Good luck!

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 9 Old 05-23-2014, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Is this your first cycle charting? It took a couple months for me to recognize the pattern in my thermal shift. It was ever so slightly increasing increments. I've seen some women's charts that are just undeniable and dramatic. But mine just wasn't that way. Keep at it!

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#4 of 9 Old 05-23-2014, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

This is my first charted cycle since my son was born.  I was charting before I got pregnant (in the effort to *avoid* pregnancy...oops) and I definitely had clear temp spikes back then.  But I wasn't taking ovulation tests, so I don't know how they would match up with the spikes.  I started charting this month, when my period started on May 9.  The ovulation test this week was the first (only) one I've taken.  We just started TTC this month (IUD was taken out on Monday), so I'm not too worried if this doesn't take.  Thanks for the feedback!

(and, hi Bay Area neighbor Pokey!)

#5 of 9 Old 05-23-2014, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Hmm...rereading that, maybe that was the problem before - if I ovulated a day or two before my temperature spiked, that could explain why I got knocked up!  We weren't being terrible careful :2whistle

pokeyac likes this.

#6 of 9 Old 05-23-2014, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

It's more likely the other way around. The OPKs only test LH surge, but doesn't tell you if you've actually released an egg. Your body can gear up to ovulate and not release an egg for whatever reason, and then often your body will try again. Trust the temps over the OPKs. From what I understand it's pretty rare for a woman to not have a temp shift when ovulating.

I've had OPKs do all sort of weird things, positives AFTER temp shifts, etc. This month my temps clearly reflect ovulation, and I never got a  positive on the OPKs OR my fertility monitor. But I'm confident I ovulated because of my sustained higher temps. They just aren't 100% accurate.

My guess is you just haven't ovulated yet. Keep doing the OPKs and see if you get another surge, keep DTD, and keep temping. One question I have is has your temp really been the exact same for 2 weeks straight?? I've never seen that before and would question whether or not the thermometer is broken. Try taking your temp during the day to see if it gives you a different reading.

#7 of 9 Old 05-27-2014, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Got a temp surge on Saturday, so I guess the OPK was either busted or super optimistic!

#8 of 9 Old 05-27-2014, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
OPK's can be a huge PITA! I often got positives before I was actually ready to ovulate. I found it was better to rely on other signs like cervical mucus, position, etc. Cervix should be pink, high, soft and open when you are fertile. There may be other signs you get too like being gassy or an increased libido that coincide with the cervical mucus and such.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#9 of 9 Old 05-27-2014, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

My CM is pretty reliable too, so I'll just stick to using that & temps to determine ovulation.  My cervix is way too high to reach, unfortunately, so I've never been able to use that as a guide.  Stupid OPKs!

Tags
Trying To Conceive

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page