Weight and conceiving - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-08-2014, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Weight and conceiving

So when I got pregnant with my 5 year old I was 152...when I got pregnant with my 3 year old I weighed 162. I gained about 22 pounds with each pregnancy. Last summer I had gotten to my ideal weight at 150. We tried getting pregnant for two months and then my Mom was not well and passed away...and since I've put on 22 pounds...so 172. We want to start trying but I'm nervous about the weight. I know that weight can make things more difficult...I'm over 35. Thoughts? We're on a window where we want to be prego by fall...do we just start trying now? Do I work to lose 10 only to gain 20+? My past pregnancies have been healthy...and not a lot has changed for me minus having increased anxiety...part of the weight issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2014, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I wouldn't necessarily expect this weight gain to prevent you from conceiving if you haven't had trouble before. Some people have to lose (or gain) weight in order to conceive, but many overweight mamas (like me) were able to conceive at higher weights (mine is actually quite a bit higher than yours). It's very individual, and I think depends on the whole picture of personal health you have going on. I would focus on eating a healthy diet and staying active while TTC. If your age is a concern, then starting sooner rather than later is probably a good idea.

M/C at 8 weeks -- May 2000. DS #1 -- March 2001. DS #2 -- November 2002. (Ten year break!) DD -- October 2011. M/C at 8 weeks -- May 2013. Expecting #4 late July.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalovehm View Post
So when I got pregnant with my 5 year old I was 152...when I got pregnant with my 3 year old I weighed 162. I gained about 22 pounds with each pregnancy. Last summer I had gotten to my ideal weight at 150. We tried getting pregnant for two months and then my Mom was not well and passed away...and since I've put on 22 pounds...so 172. We want to start trying but I'm nervous about the weight. I know that weight can make things more difficult...I'm over 35. Thoughts? We're on a window where we want to be prego by fall...do we just start trying now? Do I work to lose 10 only to gain 20+? My past pregnancies have been healthy...and not a lot has changed for me minus having increased anxiety...part of the weight issue.
Depending on your height, your weight may be an issue, but unlikely unless you have PCOS or other endocrine issues with your thyroid that make ovulation happen less often.

I was 250 pounds when I got pregnant with my twins through ivf that was necessary because of male factor issues. I ended up with gestational dabetes because of twins. I ended up only gaining 20 pounds and now nearly six months later I am down to 224.6 pounds. Nursing my twins has helped with weight loss.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!

User Tag List