TTC Decisions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-16-2014, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Question TTC Decisions

We've decided to try and have a second child. Our first is adopted. I go in tomorrow for a consultation with an RE to evaluate my situation. We're going to do the standard bloodwork/ultrasound and then an HSG before making any decisions about our next move.

Our last attempt to conceive, we did 3 at-home inseminations and 4 IUIs. I got pregnant twice (once at home, once through IUI) and miscarried both times early in the first trimester.

I have PCOS, hyperproclactemia (no known cause), and had my thyroid removed last year. The latter may have been the cause of my miscarriages. I'm 31.

We're going to have to make a decision about whether to try at home or do IUIs, or go to IVF. IVF would be a one-shot deal unless we did cryopreservation, but we would also have an ~60% chance at pregnancy, versus 5-10% per cycle at home and 20-25% for an IUI. We spent almost enough (roughly $9k here) to pay for a cycle of IVF last time we were TTC.

What are the factors we should consider? And, what questions should I ask the clinic? My biggest worry is that they'll push us into IUIs for a few months while knowing we need IVF and then we won't have the money to do the latter. Are there any test results (other than the HSG) that will be particularly helpful?

Thanks in advance.

Mother to one dd .

User Tag List