• 1 Post By CountryGirl916
  • 2 Post By tinytina

#1 of 15 Old 07-10-2014, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 216 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Cool Summer TTC Healthy Parents Thread

Hi everyone,

I thought we might want to bump this back up and maybe we could try to incorporate more healthy habits into our lives this summer as we continue on our journeys TTC.

Me 28, DH 30 , 2 Kitties and working towards having Baby #1. 
“The past has no power over the present moment.” Eckhart Tolle
#2 of 15 Old 07-10-2014, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

I am going to start by revisiting my own goals:

Goals:
1. Try to incorporate more vegetables and fruits daily (since my husband was diagnosed as a diabetic a year ago so we are definitely working on this but keeping our budget in mind) *Work in progress

2. Drink more water (I barely drink any now so trying for 2 big glasses- approx. 1 liter each) per day. *Consistently up to 1 glass a day in the morning.

3. Drink less pop and coffee (less caffeine *limit coffee to 2 mugs per day)- drink more mint green tea which is low caffeine *Haven't been drinking much tea but definitely less pop and coffee

4. Exercise 5 days a week (work up to 30 minutes a day) *Need to make more an effort to designate time for exercise

5. Find ways to lower stress every day (yoga, meditation, etc) *Still want to look into yoga, doing a little bit of meditation though, been working on figuring out a cleaning schedule, easy meals, and money management so that daily things become less stressful

6. Do at least 1 nice thing a day to myself/me time (for ex. paint my nails, read a book/magazine for pleasure, bubble bath, etc) *Making improvements in this area, definitely trying to be nicer to myself

I consistently take my vitamins and medication every day

#3 of 15 Old 07-12-2014, 06:30 PM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
@tinytina thanks so much for starting this thread! What a great idea!

Your goals are inspiring, here are mine:

1. Up my protein intake - I'm vegetarian and tend far too often towards less healthy options (mostly carbs) like pasta and bread - so far, I've started eating nuts and seeds for breakfast, and eating more dishes with beans in them

2. Decrease the amount of processed food I eat - this has been surprisingly easy, probably because it's summer and there are so many great fruits and veggies around!

3. Increase the amount of water I'm drinking - this shouldn't be tough, DH likes to call me a "camel" because I drink so much water, but since starting using an OPK I'm faced every morning with evidence that seems to indicate I'm not hydrated enough…so more water for me!

4. Exercise more! I've started a handwritten piece of paper titled "baby belly" to keep a log of my exercise activity in preparation for my baby belly. One thing that I'm finding fun is I'm keeping a google map of streets I've walked on in my town, and so every time I come in from a nice long walk, I add the route to my map. Exploring my town and exercising at the same time.

5. Find a good prenatal vitamin I took some a few years ago when TTC that were like horse pills - very large and hard to swallow - am hoping to find another vegetarian option that's a bit more palatable this time.

6. Limit screen time - I have a bad habit of spending too much time on my computer (work, research for school, Facebook, pinterest, MDC, etc…) - one thing I'm trying to do as an alternative is start a nature journal - just small hand sketches and note about the nature I find around me.

7. Create peaceful space around me - have been working on several organization projects around the house, and each one that gets completed makes me feel a bit calmer and more centered. On the list: (1) paint our guest bathroom (which would be great to finish before pregnancy!) (2) hand-wash baby blankets from my childhood and organize them in the "hope chest" recently inherited from my grandmother (3) hang a few photographs and art pieces…and more to come

Thanks for this space, so nice to put these ideas out in the open.
tinytina likes this.

book-loving, cross-stitching urban hiker, married to DH since 2010

two kitties, TTC #1
#4 of 15 Old 07-13-2014, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! Wanting to join in, will be back later to post mine...
tinytina and FyerFly like this.

Me & DH ; DS (Aug 2010) ; DD1 (May 2012) ; DD2 (Nov 2013)
#5 of 15 Old 07-14-2014, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

Love your list @FyerFly - especially #6 and 7. Thanks for joining me.

Hi @tenzinsmama , looking forward to seeing your list.
FyerFly likes this.

#6 of 15 Old 07-20-2014, 06:03 AM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hello @tinytina @ tenzinsmama and @FyerFly ! Thanks for starting this thread up again @tinytina , I was so sorry that the last one petered out. I've made some pretty big strides on my exercise and healthy eating goals in the last year but still have areas that could use some major improvement while waiting on my .

1. Bedtime Routine : Things were moving in the right direction for a bit and then I got busy and everything has gone into a complete backslide. My ideal bedtime routine would include some herbal tea, some silent meditation, and then getting into my made bed in my clean room and enjoying some relaxing music while I read, or listen to a guided sleep meditation while I drift off. Right now I bring a snack (usually cheese or chocolate) to my messy room and unmade bed and then watch Netflix on the laptop. I always fall asleep barely into the show and then wake up nervous someone (like me) might kick the computer off the bed. I'm always dead tired and also a little keyed up before bed and when DS finally drops off I think the tiredness makes me feel hungry and I just want to zone out in front of some British mystery with something rich melting on my tongue. Every morning I want to do it differently that night, but when night falls I'm too tired to make a change. Hopefully just writing this down and getting the support of this group will help me move forward.

2. Meditation : Again, about six months ago I was doing pretty well with getting in a little meditation a few days a week. Now, nada. I think it would be great if by the fall equinox I was consistently doing ten minutes every morning and ten minutes every night. To start I think I'd like to try for ten minutes total per day, whether that is 5 minutes twice or just ten minutes once. And while I will aim for first thing in the am and last thing before bed I think I need to be flexible and take it whenever I can get it. When my sleep is disturbed, as it almost always seems to be these days, I wake up so tired that it seems easier to just put it off again, and then once I get going I don't feel like I can stop to make time for it. But I know if I started doing it I'd probably feel better and sleep better. Without some sort of centering to start my day I feel thrust into the chaos of chores and errands and it often feels like my days are just go, go, go, do, do, do without much time taken for peaceful contemplation (except for running or yoga, thank goodness for those) and then at the end of the day I am exhausted and fall into my bad bedtime habits (see above). It's a vicious cycle.

3. Organize Sewing Room/ Take Time for Creative Pursuits : I do pretty well at keeping the rest of the house picked up and clean but it seems like my spaces--my bedroom, my sewing room, the studio-- are the last spaces to get my attention. The studio has become a dumping ground for everything and anything and is way beyond being something I can tackle right now, but the bedroom and sewing room are really quite doable. I got a start on the sewing room in the spring and with a few hours of dedicated effort I should be able to have it done. I have a million projects I'd like to be working on in there once it is a working area again. With my studio out of commission I've felt like I can't do any artwork, and I miss it. But I love your idea @FyerFly and think it would be great if I started a sketch journal. It's been so long since I drew anything I fear I've forgotten how. Maybe getting my creative juices flowing again in these areas will spill over into my reproductive life.

I really liked reading about PP goals and am excited to see the progress everyone will make. Thanks again for bringing this thread back @tinytina !
#7 of 15 Old 07-22-2014, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Excellent ideas @MsBe !

#8 of 15 Old 07-26-2014, 06:59 PM

@MsBe - bedtime routine sounds like a fantastic goal, and one I'd like to try too - for meditation, do you have a special/sacred place for it? My baby step along the way to a better bedtime routine will be replacing my smartphone "alarm clock" with an actual alarm clock, and leaving the smartphone upstairs during bedtime. I have a tendency to check e-mail (work-related mostly) right before bed and first thing in the morning when the phone is by my bed, so I'm hoping not having it there will help calm/simplify things.

My updates -
Have been exercising more but still have a ways to go to find a regular routine

Found a great prenatal vitamin - Rainbow Light small pills! 3 per day, but in the meantime before I'm pg, planning to take 1 per day and make them last longer

two kitties, TTC #1
#9 of 15 Old 07-29-2014, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter

Glad you have made a couple small changes @FyerFly !

#10 of 15 Old 07-30-2014, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I'm going to join in too.

I am trying to eat healthier. I do ok for the meals but then crave & eat sweets. I have cut back on coffee from the occasional 2 a day to just one. I have started making my own creamer for coffee. I also use a lot of herbal remedies instead of rx or otc. I am drinking water like a fish the past few days.

I do a lot of stairs at work and have a one mile walk home from work every day. My DH and I started a 20 minute yoga routine last week that we are doing every morning.

I need to de-clutter my craft space get back into it! It's definitely relaxing.

I need to quit stressing ttc but I have felt a sense of peace since we started.
@firefly - Try vitacost.com. I got Nature's Plus - Prenatal liquid and it's vegetarian.

#11 of 15 Old 07-31-2014, 10:41 AM

Thanks @CountryGirl916 ! Wow, sounds like you're making some great efforts! I also struggle with sweets cravings - in fact yesterday went out for frozen yogurt with rainbow sprinkles - but am trying to get that under control. Not cut sweets out entirely, just manage portions and reduce the number of desserts.

@tinytina have you made any progress on your goals?
CountryGirl916 likes this.

two kitties, TTC #1
#12 of 15 Old 08-01-2014, 05:19 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
You're welcome. I understand that. The key to making it work is to not deprive yourself so smaller portions is the way to do it. I try to limit myself but it doesn't always work!
FyerFly likes this.

#13 of 15 Old 08-01-2014, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

I don't know about anyone else but the minute I start depriving myself, then it is all I can think about and it is all I want to eat so I end up over-indulging and feeling guilty about it afterwards. So my new plan is to have smaller portions of the things I crave and also trying to find lower-fat and calorie alternatives. For example, I make a light no bake cheesecake and by using low-fat cream cheese and low-fat cool whip.
FyerFly and CountryGirl916 like this.

#14 of 15 Old 08-01-2014, 07:55 AM

@tinytina I find that to be true as well! and your low-fat no-bake cheesecake sounds delicious!!

I find something similar with exercise -- if I over do it, sometimes that discourages me for a while, so often it's better to do a little bit at a time and build up to things, rather than push too hard and wear myself out!! My "baby belly" sheet was going pretty well in July, but tapered off after I overdid it hiking 7 hard miles in one day. This last week has been a bust, so I'm excited for today being August 1, because I'm going to start a new sheet and will hopefully be more consistent with exercise this month!!

two kitties, TTC #1
#15 of 15 Old 08-10-2014, 07:16 PM

Hi ladies - another update - August has proved to be a much better exercise month for me so far, and I even had a bit of a "breakthrough" - I had a weight loss goal for July that I didn't meet (didn't lose, didn't gain), so I decided this month I needed to be a little more proactive. For me, this meant getting back on a treadmill - I used to jog a lot in college (10+ years ago) - and I had the best workout I've had in years last week!! I was able to do the same time/distance today with no trouble, so I'm getting excited that I may have turned a corner and be on a good path to losing some weight and feeling much healthier than I have been.

Hope you ladies had a great weekend, and looking forward to your updates when you have them!

two kitties, TTC #1

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page