Fertility After Breastfeeding? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 05-05-2015, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Fertility After Breastfeeding?

Could anyone please share how their fertility came back after breastfeeding? My 25 month old had her last nursing session at the end of March while I was pretty sick and on antibiotics. My last period started April 4th. I got my first post-partum period when my daughter was about 15 months old, so about a year ago.

I have a somewhat regular cycle of 28 days, and haven't started my period yet this month(since my period at the beginning of April). I expected it about May 1st.

Wondering if the delay is because my body is getting used to no more breastfeeding and because I had been so sick/on antibiotics? Or possible pregnancy?

Any thoughts are appreciated! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
#2 of 8 Old 05-05-2015, 01:35 PM
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Mine have been pretty normal after returning at 14, 13, 17 months post babies regardless of weaning, but with mine weaning was very gradual for all of them. That is, cycles were normal except for one weird month about 16m after my first that ended up delayed by several weeks for some unknown reason, and another a few months after weaning my second where ovulation was delayed by 1 week from a yeast infection (and I got pregnant with #3 ).

I've read that if your cycle is delayed it's the ovulation that was put off by not reaching a certain threshold of estrogen to trigger it. Any physical or mental stress can do it, though breastfeeding suppresses estrogen so I'd think quitting shouldn't delay things, but the illness could. Usually, unless you're underweight or under continual stress, the body tries again later and ovulates successfully. Then if you don't/didn't conceive the period will come a fairly reliable number of days after that.
#3 of 8 Old 05-05-2015, 04:46 PM
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
I would be a preg test
#4 of 8 Old 05-05-2015, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter
Thanks for your reply, JamieCatheryn. That makes sense!

Other than the illness, I wasn't mentally stressed, though my body was clearly stressed!

We were weaning gradually - we had been done with night feedings for a couple of months, and she was pretty much down to just one or maybe two nursing sessions a day.

I did take a test last Friday, Nazsmum, but it was negative. Trying to wait until maybe this Friday and then test again. Just trying to be relaxed and not worried about things, but I find it hard to be laid back about it because we would really like another child!

Time will tell, I suppose!

Mom to three, wife to one
#5 of 8 Old 05-06-2015, 09:12 AM
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
I don't know how much it helps but here's my experience.

I never weaned my first child. I started trying the fertility diet from the book "beautiful babies" -sort of a WAP thing- when DD was around 16 months. I never quite met all of the goals but i tried to.

My first PPP was when she was 15 months. I had a long ovulatory phase and a short luteal phase (the longest being 9 days) and an average 30 day cycle in the four cycles I had before falling pregnant again. The second cycle my have been anovulary. I was using the fertility friend app and a bbt thermometer from Walmart.

My first PPP was on fourth of July and my last was on Halloween. We conceived this baby now due in August on the day I ovulated in November and I tested every day starting at 9dpo getting a negative every day until 12dpo (3 days after missed period) when I got a faint one that faded and a clear, dark non-fading line at 14dpo.

My DD is still nursing even though my milk dried up before week 20.

I have no idea why I might have had an anovulary cycle tho I've heard that happen to other women I've talked to online but in the first PP cycle not the second.

My Fingers are crossed for you this cycle but if you don't get a positive test this go around I'm sure you will soon. I do reccomend temping and chatting with frrtility friend if you aren't already. The fertility diet may help too. GL!!'
#6 of 8 Old 05-06-2015, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
Thanks, sidrajedi!

Unfortunately, I got my answer today without having to test. We'll try again later this month, I guess!

I used to temp and chart for a while, but that was in between child 2 and 3, and haven't really done it since. Thanks for your suggestions!

Mom to three, wife to one
#7 of 8 Old 06-08-2015, 10:59 AM
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I'm betting you just ovulated late. I got my period back at like 2 months PP (and yes, I exclusively breastfed like round the clock!) but my cycles were irregular and I ovulated late up until DD was about 14 months and I had weaned down to two feedings per day. That cycle I O'd right at CD 14 and instantly (and not purposefully!) got pregnant with number two. This was a major shock since I had to go on clomid to conceive the first time.

Anyway, all that is to say, I'm sure your cycles will even out in the next couple of months!

Married 8.2010 | DD 2.2014 | Expecting 1.2016
#8 of 8 Old 06-08-2015, 11:28 AM
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
I did not read the other responses..

It's such a guessing game, right?

I'm not TTC, but we never are TTC/TTA/BC. I have employed the LAM/FAM and ecologically breastfeed and we STILL defy the norm...

Generally, my fertility returns at about 3 months PP, with EBF. This returns either with or without a period for me. I'm now BF twins, and haven't had my period return..my hope is that it will take a bit to return since I'm nursing two..but not counting on it.

The normal is much longer with EBF. Many women can conceive while EBF, but generally not until their babies/toddlers are older. It most often happens when longer stretches between nursing happens, babies sleep separately, and solids are introduced. Some women find they have to wean to become pregnant again.

All it takes for a return of fertility, is for breastfeeding hormones to drop enough for the return of ovulation, and that can happen before a period.

Blessed Christian Wife and Homeschooling Mother to 10 children.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

‘To someone whose god is science, vaccination makes sense. But to someone whose god is God, it is appalling’ - Dr. Golden.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page