Metformin,supplements,herbs for ttc !! - Mothering Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Catherinedejesus176

#1 of 11 Old 05-14-2015, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Metformin,supplements,herbs for ttc !!

Hi after a full work up from my ob/gyn and MD and getting the ok to ttc while I'm taking only METFORMIN.my gyn has prescribed me a few supplements for TTC..I have read so much about natural ways to conceive with Red Raspberry leaf tea,Vitex , pre seeds,tinctures etc..I want to do this natural but I don't know where to start given all this info plus what my gyn has suggested. Do I take her supplements alone for 6months? Do i just take Vitex and drink the tea ?

How did you get started with TTC ,by just doing,teas,herbs,clomid,or tinctures along with opks and charting? how long did you do it before you jumped to actual MEDS to get prejudgers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 05-15-2015, 05:40 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
This is my third month TTC and I've been steadily increasing my arsenal of baby-making tools. I started temping this month but if I could give women who want to have a baby any advice it would be to start temping well before you actually try TTC, because it takes several months to get it all figured out. Just generally, I wish I had learned about the importance of cervical mucus and checking one's cervical position and all that stuff well before!

I've decided I have a low amount of EWCM so I am taking evening primrose oil and drinking green tea in the pre-ovulation days. Then eating pineapple like crazy in DPO! I've also started vitex berry this month, which is supposed to be awesome all around but also good for EWCM. It also grows all over austin, where I live, so in August I plan on just foraging for it and making myself a tea!. For herbal teas I picked up red clover blossom and raspberry leaf tea and have been just sort of combining them in one pot - I drink a couple of hot cups and then drink it cold the rest of the day. Everything I'm taking is supposed to have a number of other good effects anyway. That's the beauty of herbs - in moderation it probably won't do any harm and may actually help! Also, they've been used by women for thousands of years, so they're more tried and true than modern drugs. But to answer your question, I would probably look into the basic fertility drugs if I get to a year and no BFP.

That said, while I have cut down on alcohol and coffee, I have not eliminated them, just can't do it. Wine and coffee are two of my favorite things! So maybe the bad stuff is just negating the good stuff. Still, my SO and I are really good at stressing ourselves out, and I'm not sure I need to convert us to a monastic lifestyle just yet all in the name of TTC. Stress has got to be one of the biggest hindrances to conception, so I'm mostly focusing on not overdoing it!

I keep going back to this website when I want to read about herbs and stuff:
http://www.blessedmaineherbs.com/womensherbs.html

Anyway, I'm finding it all very empowering - the temping, CM checking, herbal teas. I was already getting into herbal remedies (mullein leaf if you have a respiratory infection is great!). I am currently drying a bunch of herbs on our back porch and the SO said I looked like some kind of wise woman - I thought that was cool (even though I think he meant it more as a jibe, since he is pretty anti-hippy stuff)

Perhaps just a coincidence but I usually have really bad mood swings that I assume are PMS related, and this month I have been so much more even keel.
#3 of 11 Old 05-15-2015, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherinedejesus176 View Post
Hi after a full work up from my ob/gyn and MD and getting the ok to ttc while I'm taking only METFORMIN.my gyn has prescribed me a few supplements for TTC..I have read so much about natural ways to conceive with Red Raspberry leaf tea,Vitex , pre seeds,tinctures etc..I want to do this natural but I don't know where to start given all this info plus what my gyn has suggested. Do I take her supplements alone for 6months? Do i just take Vitex and drink the tea ?

How did you get started with TTC ,by just doing,teas,herbs,clomid,or tinctures along with opks and charting? how long did you do it before you jumped to actual MEDS to get prejudgers
Hi

I am also in the same situation..TTC, have PCOS , my ob/gyn kept me on Metformin…trying my best..checking Ovulation everyday…but no peak LH surge…yet
#4 of 11 Old 05-18-2015, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebs View Post
This is my third month TTC and I've been steadily increasing my arsenal of baby-making tools. I started temping this month but if I could give women who want to have a baby any advice it would be to start temping well before you actually try TTC, because it takes several months to get it all figured out. Just generally, I wish I had learned about the importance of cervical mucus and checking one's cervical position and all that stuff well before!

I've decided I have a low amount of EWCM so I am taking evening primrose oil and drinking green tea in the pre-ovulation days. Then eating pineapple like crazy in DPO! I've also started vitex berry this month, which is supposed to be awesome all around but also good for EWCM. It also grows all over austin, where I live, so in August I plan on just foraging for it and making myself a tea!. For herbal teas I picked up red clover blossom and raspberry leaf tea and have been just sort of combining them in one pot - I drink a couple of hot cups and then drink it cold the rest of the day. Everything I'm taking is supposed to have a number of other good effects anyway. That's the beauty of herbs - in moderation it probably won't do any harm and may actually help! Also, they've been used by women for thousands of years, so they're more tried and true than modern drugs. But to answer your question, I would probably look into the basic fertility drugs if I get to a year and no BFP.

That said, while I have cut down on alcohol and coffee, I have not eliminated them, just can't do it. Wine and coffee are two of my favorite things! So maybe the bad stuff is just negating the good stuff. Still, my SO and I are really good at stressing ourselves out, and I'm not sure I need to convert us to a monastic lifestyle just yet all in the name of TTC. Stress has got to be one of the biggest hindrances to conception, so I'm mostly focusing on not overdoing it!

I keep going back to this website when I want to read about herbs and stuff:
http://www.blessedmaineherbs.com/womensherbs.html

Anyway, I'm finding it all very empowering - the temping, CM checking, herbal teas. I was already getting into herbal remedies (mullein leaf if you have a respiratory infection is great!). I am currently drying a bunch of herbs on our back porch and the SO said I looked like some kind of wise woman - I thought that was cool (even though I think he meant it more as a jibe, since he is pretty anti-hippy stuff)

Perhaps just a coincidence but I usually have really bad mood swings that I assume are PMS related, and this month I have been so much more even keel.
hi,thanx for the info..Last nite I had me a cup of Raspberry leaf tea and man did I wake up with sever cramps.As I have read, it will feel like this at first because of the cleansing of the uterus..I felt pretty dam painful to me but I guess over time it'll ease up. I also start the metformin and will soon start my gyn recommended
'fertility Cocktail of herbal supplements" after maybe 4-5 mons of just the teas,change of bad eating to healthy stuff, and a few times a week of baby dancing.With that said i will start temping and charting,I just don't want us to hit that frustration point and start attacking each other negatively because i hasn't happened as soon as we would like..

Thanx for the site i will def look it up.
#5 of 11 Old 05-18-2015, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttclovebaby View Post
Hi

I am also in the same situation..TTC, have PCOS , my ob/gyn kept me on Metformin…trying my best..checking Ovulation everyday…but no peak LH surge…yet
good luck and baby dust for u...
#6 of 11 Old 05-18-2015, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
What did your OB recommend? Folic acid is key to take because it can be taken 3 months before conceiving to have the best effect. I think preseed and raspberry leaf tea should be good things to add that don't have bad side effects usually. Evening primrose oil might be good too. I would be cautious about using Vitex because it can have a big effect on your cycle. It is an herb and herbal medicines are medicines and they should be taken seriously. If you are already taking metformin, your hormone levels will be changing. Taking Vitex too may be a lot of changes at once. It depends on what problems you are having and what you are trying to change. I have also heard that Vitex does not work well with clomid so if you think you might be using that, you may want to skip the vitex.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#7 of 11 Old 05-21-2015, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeyac View Post
What did your OB recommend? Folic acid is key to take because it can be taken 3 months before conceiving to have the best effect. I think preseed and raspberry leaf tea should be good things to add that don't have bad side effects usually. Evening primrose oil might be good too. I would be cautious about using Vitex because it can have a big effect on your cycle. It is an herb and herbal medicines are medicines and they should be taken seriously. If you are already taking metformin, your hormone levels will be changing. Taking Vitex too may be a lot of changes at once. It depends on what problems you are having and what you are trying to change. I have also heard that Vitex does not work well with clomid so if you think you might be using that, you may want to skip the vitex.
HI @ POKEYAC....

so my issue has always been IC its never been conceiving..I only started wondering about TTC a natural way because when I have gotten pregnant in the past its always been at my most unhealthy times like poor eatting habits,not being physical,my weight has gone up I know that at those times my womb wasn't healthy,so My ob suggested getting on a healthy kick for my self and future pregnancies. My ob has recommended this list :

Myo Lnositol
Melatonin
Co Enzyme
Vitamin C &E
L-argininw
Pycnogenol

She gave me this list because when i told her we are ready for TTC she jumped up and said CLOMID,and I told her no,I want a natural way..I bought the rasp leaf tea and man didi It cramp me up badly
Im currently only on my metformin,I haven't started the herbal supplements she recommended yet.
What exactly is PRESEED? HOW WOULD I USE IT?
THANX FOR THE INFO
sjagodzi likes this.
#8 of 11 Old 05-21-2015, 09:11 AM

I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean by IC. I used metformin to get pregnant and it worked for me. It may do the trick for you too. All of the supplements your OB recommended are common ones women take. Most are used to improve egg quality, which is important and helpful. Preseed is a sperm-friendly lubricant. It just helps give the swimmers an easier path. May be useful if you don't have a great amount of EWCM.

#9 of 11 Old 05-21-2015, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean by IC. I used metformin to get pregnant and it worked for me. It may do the trick for you too. All of the supplements your OB recommended are common ones women take. Most are used to improve egg quality, which is important and helpful. Preseed is a sperm-friendly lubricant. It just helps give the swimmers an easier path. May be useful if you don't have a great amount of EWCM.
sorry, IC is short for Incompetent Cervix.I can get pregnant but my uterus is weak, as a result my daughter was born @ 25 weeks.This is why i was inquring about TTC naturally to clean out the womb since I've feel my lady parts have had soon much meds and unhealthy life style..sorry for the long explanation.WHAT IS EWCM??

Im glad to hear you know of these supplements since i don't know of any women personal to confirm they actually help.Most of the women in my family have conceived naturally on old school herbs,food,drinks etc..lol..how long after you toke metf did u conceive?
#10 of 11 Old 05-22-2015, 01:09 PM

Oh, that makes sense! I'm sorry to hear that you have to deal with that. It can make things very difficult. EWCM is egg white cervical mucus, it's the nice stretchy mucus you get when you're fertile. I got pregnant with my son the first month I took metformin. It was my 9th cycle and I had a chemical pregnancy before that. So for me, I felt like it made a big difference. But it's hard to say because I changed other things that month as well. There are so many factors that go into getting pregnant and having a healthy pregnancy. A lot of those supplements your OB recommended are discussed in It Starts with the Egg, it's a good short book that is all about improving egg quality and what scientific research has to say. I recommend it if you think egg quality may be an issue for you. It also discusses avoiding things like BPA and phthalates because those can have negative effects on your fertility.

#11 of 11 Old 05-24-2015, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh, that makes sense! I'm sorry to hear that you have to deal with that. It can make things very difficult. EWCM is egg white cervical mucus, it's the nice stretchy mucus you get when you're fertile. I got pregnant with my son the first month I took metformin. It was my 9th cycle and I had a chemical pregnancy before that. So for me, I felt like it made a big difference. But it's hard to say because I changed other things that month as well. There are so many factors that go into getting pregnant and having a healthy pregnancy. A lot of those supplements your OB recommended are discussed in It Starts with the Egg, it's a good short book that is all about improving egg quality and what scientific research has to say. I recommend it if you think egg quality may be an issue for you. It also discusses avoiding things like BPA and phthalates because those can have negative effects on your fertility.
Oh,now that makes sense.lol. So much wording around this subject.I just did my 1st opk and it was faded looking so I will do it again tomorrow because i used the Fertility Friend App someone on here recommended and it says that my O days are may 23 to may 26..I guess I tested a day to early.Im also a lil convinced that I may have PCOS.When I asked my ob she said "Ehh,Its hard to say i you do or not"....I mention this to you because that egg white mucus never comes a few days after my cycle,it comes at the end of the month going into the next month...and my periods usually come the 2nd week into a month.So i guess I'm wondering if i have pos ,can a opk be really accurate? since a women with is usually ovulating Wacky....

Tags
herbs , metformin , opks

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page