Mothering Forum banner

Diet question

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Xerxella 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. DH and I were going to TTC this month and I just had a freak out. I realized my diet has been relatively crappy for the last few months and I am wondering how much that is an issue. For the last several years, I have been paleo and done very clean eating with a few Whole 30 rounds and then an even stricter version with the last from August 2015 to March 2016. Anyway, since March, my diet has been off and on awesome and crappy. Not a lot of in between. I had gone off the diet in March (gradually) because I kept getting really bad headaches after I ate. I started skipping meals because of this. Then realized I felt better when I had less healthy foods. Long story, short, I developed histamine intolerance and that made me react to meats, fermented foods, leftovers, many fruits, etc. I have figured it out and it required me to start eating liver (blech), but for whatever reason, I have not gotten back on the diet consistently and have will be great for a few days to a couple weeks, then have a few days of "bad" food. It's not so much that I'm eating horrible things, but it's what I'm not eating. I am not eating any fast food. I did have a few weeks where I had Coke, but that was a brief period of time. I have had too many gluten free treats, but in bursts. I'll have none, and then have a lot of treats in a day or two.

With my first son, I was so careful about eating well before I got pregnant and now I feel a little panicked because I have not eaten nearly as well as I think I should before getting pregnant. I am 39, so I don't want to wait months to get back on track, but will if that's what is best.

I have been taking a prenatal vitamin on the days I knew my diet wasn't as great. I also take folate daily, as well as vitamin d, magnesium, and liver (food or pills).

Do you know how much preconception diet impacts the baby? Does it impact me more? Are birth defects or chromosomal abnormalities more common with poor diet? I am certain I will eat "perfectly" while pregnant, but I've had a hard time figuring out the cause of the headaches and the trial and error involved foods I wouldn't normally include in my diet.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I couldn't find a lot of information about WHY you should start a good diet 90 days before TTC.

Thanks again!

See less See more
#2 ·
It doesn't sound like you should have any concerns around diet from what you describe. I don't think anyone actually KNOWS what a "perfect diet" entails, so it's not possible to have a perfect diet.

Eat generally healthy and you'll be fine. Eat hot dogs, Cheetos, froot loops, ramen noodles and wash it down with 3 Mountain Dews everyday and you have a problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.