Mothering Forum banner

Hysterical pregnancies?

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  samylonly 
#1 ·
Um so hi

I don't really know where to begin so I will just ramble and see how it goes.

In May, I had a terrible time, convincing myself I was pregnant and then not pregnant, and going through pros and cons and such in my head. I didn't see my bf after the possible conception because I was stuck in my own world.

My instinct is to go into extreme detail but I'll just stick to the basics:
I was ovulating the day my bf and I dtd, and my period tracker app (which is incredibly accurate - it's weird) stated I was due a period 14 days later. So yeah, basically I had the standard TWW to endure (which at that point I had no idea was a Thing, but quickly found out about it after hours/days of researching this whole world), only, because I'm so new to this (and am quite the hypochondriac) I just fell into all these habits I guess I imagined a pregnant person would have? Like I'd justify putting off workouts with "I can't do that if I'm pregnant!", and eating a bunch of crap because "hey I'm eating for two now!". I'd also link any sort of bad feeling with it, like if I felt sick I'd think "this is not normal for me I'm probably definitely pregnant". So I'd put off my exercise that keeps me sane, I'd eat all the food that makes me insane after I've consumed it, I'd deny myself caffeine and on top of that my head was trying to DECIDE whether or not I was pregnant because I hated waiting (because that totally works...).
I caved and did an HPT a day before my period was due and it was a BFN, so I tried to make my brain just SHH about the whole thing, but then my period didn't come. I kept doing tests, I ended up doing about five altogether?? All negative. Even though I FELT pregnant. Or at least very very different. And I like to think I know my body.
I'm wondering how common hysterical pregnancies are? Because if they're not, then I'm absolutely convinced that the tests were wrong and when I got my "period" two weeks late it wasn't a period at all.

See less See more
#2 ·
I think it's fairly common for women who are TTC to wish/pray/hope/imagine they're pregnant even though in our "right" frame of mind we wouldn't think so. Just try to relax and do all the steps necessary to insure when you do get your BFP it results in a baby. You are perfectly normal. 😊 GL to you!

#3 ·
You were not pregnant. I don't know if that's good news or bad. HPTs are extremely accurate especially after your missed period.

Are you trying to get pregnant? Is your boyfriend on board? Then go see a ob/gyn or midwife and get a preconception work up. Are you trying to avoid pregnancy? Then go see an ob/gyn or midwife and have a plan to not get pregnant.

I hope whatever you wish happens. But, please, take control of your fertility. Don't let life or a child just happen to you. You and your future child deserve better.

#4 ·
You were not pregnant. I don't know if that's good news or bad. HPTs are extremely accurate especially after your missed period.

Are you trying to get pregnant? Is your boyfriend on board? Then go see a ob/gyn or midwife and get a preconception work up. Are you trying to avoid pregnancy? Then go see an ob/gyn or midwife and have a plan to not get pregnant.

I hope whatever you wish happens. But, please, take control of your fertility. Don't let life or a child just happen to you. You and your future child deserve better.
There are are plenty of women who have had negative HPTs all the way through their pregnancies, it's not as simple as "they're accurate after your missed period, so they were right".
I'm just sad that I'll likely never know for sure what happened.

But yeah, didn't come here for judgement. Thanks.

#5 · (Edited)
No. There aren't plenty of women with negative urine HCG who are pregnant. There is a rare thing called the hook effect which happens at extremely high levels of HCG but that wouldn't be early pregnancy. If you have studies that show negative urine HCG in pregnant women being a relatively common thing, I'd like to see that. There's lots of internet stories but not a lot of facts.

And, there was no judgement intended. I truly hope you get what you want. If you want a child, I hope you conceive. If you don't want a child, I hope you avoid pregnancy.

#6 ·
What, so the hundreds of people who post about things like that are just saying it for funsies?
I know the internet has a bad reputation when it comes to what is Fact and what is Fiction, but why on earth would people say they had negatives all the way through their pregnancies when it's simply not true??

#7 · (Edited)
I don't know why people do what they do. But, I know how you can know for sure. Someday when you get pregnant, take an hpt. If it's positive, you'll know you react normally to HCG and excrete it in your urine like everyone else and that you weren't pregnant spring of 2016.

Think of it this way. HCG is made by the developing placenta. It signals the corpus luteum to keep making progesterone so you don't have a period. As the placenta grows the HCG rises. At the same time your kidneys are breaking down HCG and excreting it in your urine. Think of how important that step is. If your kidneys were not breaking down HCG, whenever the pregnancy ended you would be left with massive amounts of circulating HCG forever. You could never get pregnant again because your body would forever think you were pregnant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.