New Thread for 40+ and ttc - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-15-2004, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ellen, boy is it good to hear from you!!! I am 42, so it stands to reason this will take me a bit longer. Thanks for checking in on us.
This is my most critical day, my monitor shows peak today, and tomorrow. Wish me luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2004, 01:56 PM

Hey Velveteen: I'm right there with you sweetie. I think last night was my night. Had the ovulation pain which I found to be early. On day 9 but I went for it anyway. Gonna keep it up all this week.
Thanks for popping in and talking to us napless. It's so nice to talk to women who are our age and allready preggo.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Oh good hopeful, now we can obsess together!!
Old 12-17-2004, 01:54 PM

Well, today is day 11 and boy have I been busy. LOL
Now, a normal woman with a twenty eight day cycle wouldn't have even o'd yet but I thought I felt o on day 9. Who knows. I'll just keep bd'ing and hope for the best.
Really not alot of ewcm though. Kind of worries me.
Oh well, Christmas is coming. Maybe I'll try and obsess about that.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:40 PM

Hi, it's me again. I'll just continue to write because I want to even if nobody's listening.
I read most of the book "Inconceiveable" last night and this morning. I find it very positive and inspirational. I'm all about going to the health food store, finding a great yoga instructor, hooking myself up to an acupuncturist and anything at all that will help me to conceive.
I'll keep you posted. But, reality has gotten in the way and I must go to work. How else will I afford these expensive options.
Part of me wants to pass on the clomid next cycle and the IUI. Partly because I think I'll have a better chance if I get healthier first.
Velveteen - what is your diet regimen and are you still taking supplements. Do you do yoga or acupuncture? Anybody else with thoughts?????
Old 12-21-2004, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Hopeful, I'm listening!

My diet consists of going almost completely organic. My ds is sensitive to chemicals, so that was my big push, but then after I read the book, it just confirmed I was heading in the right direction. I can hardly afford myself these days!! But I figure its cheaper than an RE and a whole lot tastier too.

Supplements:
Wheat grass every day
Evening Primrose till ovulation, then I swith to Flax seed
False Unicorn Root
Vitex
Nettle
Red Raspberry leaves
1 baby aspirin a day
I also drink green tea

I took Royal Jelly for a while, but my money is running low, so I dropped it. I wouldn't be without the FUR and the Vitex though, they have helped me balance out my hormones.

I gave up coffee months ago unless its decaf, which isn't the same.
I go easy on dairy, but haven't gone dairy free.
I signed up for an organic fruit/veggie delivery service, which has forced me in a good way to eat more veggies. I am just waaay more health consious now.
I did one session of accupressure, and it gave me a horrible headache for nearly three days, so I'm not going back.
I haven't tried acupuncture, I did check out a place close to me, but the cost was more than I could handle on a regular basis.

So for now I am just doing the good timing/good eating/ walking/ and hoping!!!!
Old 12-22-2004, 07:55 PM

Thanks so much for your reply velveteen. Wow - I have so much to ask you. I have been pretty much going the exact same route as you. Since reading the book though, I feel a renewed inspiration to keep going and even more so.
I hope you don't mind but here goes: Why evening primrose only until ovulation? You see, I drink this stuff called udo's oil in my shake everyday. It has five essential oils in it and evening primrose is one of them but I take them all month.
How do you take your other herbs?
I've been looking for the false unicorn root but it's hard to find here. How do you drink the wheat grass? Julia Indi - drank it as a shot. Said it was horrible :
So, how are you feeling???????I'm on day 16. Not sure when I ovulated. Had some bright red, very light almost pink spotting yesterday. Had spotting before but not like that.
No af cramps today which is a good sign for me as they come very early. I don't think I'll get pg though until I get my hormones adjusted. At least I know that now. I have to work on my thyroid and I'm looking into herbs for that.
I do have more energy though and although I miss my junk food, I really like the new diet. I have to learn how to make more things than brown rice and veggies though, it's gonna get boring real fast.
Talk to you soon.
Old 12-25-2004, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter

Hopeful,
I got the evening primrose/flax seed oil information on tryingtoconceive.com
I originally bought the herbs for the 35 and over.
I take the Wheat Grass as a shot, but on the days I can't do that, I take it in pill form from Pines International website. It is the best, organic too.

Get your False Unicorn either from vitacost.com in tincture form (good price too) or they have it in pill form at tryingtoconceive.com. I like the pill form they have, but its about 40 dollars a bottle, yikes!

All my herbs are caplets, except of course the rrl tea, and the green tea.

I just ordered 'Staying fertile Longer' from Amazon, because it hasn't been at the library, and I'm tired of borrowing it. Can't wait till it gets here.
That said, I do not think I am pg this time, I don't feel it. I am trying to ward off major discouragement and self flaggelation for waiting too long. I feel like I have missed my chance. I can't think about it too much or I give in to self pity
Old 12-25-2004, 06:03 PM

You're not allowed to say you missed your chance because you're only giving in to negativity which can prevent you from getting pg. You have to reassure and reaffirm everyday that there is a baby and soon it will be in your belly. You have to believe it somewhere in your heart so that it will come true for you. Say it over and over everyday even if at first you don't believe it because eventually it will.
We are the same age. We can both do it.
I am so paranoid about my birthday because 43 sounds so much scarrier than 42.
I'm starting yoga and getting acupuncture.
I have to admit though - today is Christmas and I'm eating whatever is put in front of me - including meat, potatoes (organic though), and apple pie, sticky toffee pudding and yep - friggin coffee.
Tomorrow, back to reality.
Thanks for the info. I'm going to check those sites now. I've never bought anything off the internet. It might not be bad now though because our Canadian dollar is a bit stronger now.
Anyway, let's not give up.
Merry Christmas
hopeful
Old 12-25-2004, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

hopeful, I guess you and I are the only ones here!!

Ok, I will repeat my mantra every day~~~my baby is coming to me. I do have hope, its just that it gets buried. I hope every day. Now I will beleive.
Let me know how the yoga and acupuncture goes. I need to seriously look into that.
Old 12-26-2004, 12:04 PM

It does seem like we're alone on here now.
Well, I will let you know about the acupuncture and yoga. I ordered a couple of herbs online too. Obviously I'm going to have to be careful about my spending. I'm supposed to call my fertility doctor on the first day of my next cycle and then we proceed with Hsg and I start clomid on day five I think. It scares the hek out of me. I'm worried that the clomid will mess up all the good things I'm trying to do with my body. Do you still take it? Did you have an hsg?
I know what you mean about getting discouraged. It's so hard not to. We bd'd everday this month for two weeks. Sometimes twice. This morning, I woke up - cramps. Distinct mentrual cramps. Totally bummed. And it's so hard to eat healthy all the time. I run out of ideas of things to cook and I'm cooking separate things for the rest of the family. It's nuts really. How do you keep motivated. After reading Julia's book I was incredibly motivated but now I feel I have to fight to keep that alive. I need more reading material I think. I should try the library instead of buying new books.
Well, it's boxing day. We're going out to brave the crowds today. The snow is once again flying and we are almost buried in it again.
Take care, talk to you soon.
Old 12-26-2004, 06:05 PM

I've been lurking cause I don't take too much time to write (anyone, unfortunately) these days - too busy! In addition, I have absolutely nothing to add to the conversation you two are having! I don't do anything special to enhance/improve my ttc chances. I don't have the money/energy/info to put into it intelligently. I'm overwhelmed just listening to what you two are having to do every day! Call me the "control" group .. see which approach works! I hope they both do!
I mentioned before I haven't been doing any charting or tracking the past couple of months but it's interesting: I can still tell where I am. I am pretty sure when I O'd and I know for a fact I am PMS-ing BIG TIME right now.
bye!
Old 12-27-2004, 04:04 AM - Thread Starter

nanmama, I do hope that the control group has great success!! It was good to have you pipe in.

Hopeful, I did not take Clomid last month. I am getting worried about my bleeding, I think my fibroid is growing and causing me to bleed more. The Clomid COULD cause my fibroid to grow, and I don't need that. I am having a terrible fight with myself, because I did give it three cycles, and it didn't work. The information did say that Clomid can give you a 'better' ovulation, which I presumably need. However, I also don't want to do any permanent damage to myself. Theoretically, I'm agains taking it but I did do it three cycles.
I got worried over some dizziness I experienced (pretty bad) and I thought I might me harming myself.....so I'm back to all natural. I really don't know how to keep the motivation alive. I've gained about 10 pounds in the past year, which I hate, and am trying to fix that. I think part of it is just ttc and the stress of it.
I have read Julia's book four times, whenever I feel like I just can't keep going on. Like I said, I also ordered Staying Fertile Longer, which is the best fertility book that was actually helpful. Once sentence in there jumped out at me, it said that it was 'reasonable to expect a women over 40 to take more than a year to become pregnant'. That one sentence alone has fueled me on.

So last year, when I was ttc only 4 months, someone posted that the average time it took for a 40 plus women was 18 months. This just blew me away, and I remember thinking' 18 MONTHS?????' I HOPE NOT. But here I am coming up on 14 months, so if thats the case, I only have 4 more months to go!!!! I thought I would be different, that I would conceive in 6 months time. I still cannot beleive that after all this time, all this good timing, and all the money I have poured into my own fertility (not treatments really, food and herbs and monitors and test sticks, and pg tests, and ov. predictors...........) that I am STiLL not pg.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:28 PM

wow! we're up to 10 pages on this thread.. you ttc-ers think we should start a new one?
Old 12-28-2004, 01:53 PM

Velveteen - what makes you think you don't ovulate? Presumably - if you have a 28 day cycle - you generally ovulate. They also say that clomid doesen't always work in the 40 plus group very well.
I don't really want to take it this cycle. I feel like waiting one more. My PMS symptoms have greatly improved this month with the herbs and change in eating and I'm really excited about that. I don't want to interfere with all this hard work by messing it up with clomid.
The doc isn't back until the 3rd and that's also when I will get all my hormonal testing back. Coiincidentally, that's on day one of my cycle. I'm supposed to start clomid on day 5 I think. I also have to make my appt. on day one for my hsg. ........ have you had that??????? I'm not too worried about it because I've heard it's not that big of a deal.
As far as weight gain - I've gained 20. I was underweight for a couple of years though so I'm at 132 now. They say that a healthier diet sometimes makes you gain weight. Just walk faster I guess......speed walk.
You gotta keep me posted on the book. I'm going to get it myself but I have to wait until I make some money after buying those herbs online and Christmas. I love that quote too about it taking longer for us women over forty.
How long have you been eating healthy and taking herbs?????Your body has to get used to that - say at least a few month. For me, it's been about two and a half of eating really healthy.
Wow, I'm really starting to enjoy of conversations because we are both so similar in our eating habits, age and book reading.
Don't get me wrong - I love when others join in - nana - that includes you and I think we should start another thread. Perhaps we could call it the late thirties, forties plus - perhaps we could get some new people on here.
Anyway, gotta fly. Dbf is bugging me to go.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:49 PM

hi all.
checking in.
had a very crappy gyn appt 2 wks ago. still mad about it.
saw a new dr. in my group, he never asked when i got af back after ds.
told him we're ttc for about 10-12 mos & what did he think re: my age, etc.
told me to go get a O predictor - wth??????????
offered no blood tests, etc.
i'm gonna call back & speak to another dr there.
(((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))) to all of "oldies" but Hotties

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
Old 12-29-2004, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Polka, I would see another doc too. Its probably just a case of subfertilitiy due to nursing, the one fall. tube (didn't you say that?) and of course, being 40+. I know you will conceive!!

Hopeful, I do indeed ovulate. I have no physical problems whatsoever. The Clomid info. just said it could give you a 'better' ovulation. It's kind of like your ovaries get a little hard of hearing, and the Clomid makes them hear better, even though they hear on their own. It didn't work for me, and I had read that if a conception is going to occur on Clomid, it will most likely occur during the first three months.
I've been eating really healthy (I've always ate healthy, but not to this degree) for about 6 months or more. My ds has chemical sensitivities, so we had to change everything about a year ago. That was my huge catalyst, because then it wasn't just about me either, ds needed to eat that way. We have been chemical free for 14 months.

The 30+ and ttc thread is already pretty strong, I'm the only 40 plus there, so this is pretty much a specialty thread I have discovered other sites for the 40+ though, one of which is www.asmallwwweb.com/Over40/boards.htm

In the very bad news dept., my cousin committed suicide two days ago. We will be traveling down to Oregon to attend the funeral on Saturday. I am so so sad for his family.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:00 PM

Velveteen - OMG - how very sad for your family.
oh my. My family's thoughts & prayers go out to yours
:
lighting a candle for your cousin, sweetie

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Desiree.

CD 1 for me at least I got my Fertility Blend in the mail, I'm going to give that a shot.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velveteen
Thank you Desiree.

CD 1 for me at least I got my Fertility Blend in the mail, I'm going to give that a shot.
how ya doing sweetie?

Old 12-30-2004, 07:51 PM

Velveteen, I'm so sorry to hear about your cousin. What an awful thing to happen. I don't know what else to say, it's just so sad when something like that happens. My heart goes out to all of the family.
Did your book come yet? Glad you got your fertility blend.
Too bad about af........she's so evil. Well, it's a perfect time to start on the fertility blend anyway - day one.
I can't even remember what day I'm on. It's my thing about trying not to obsess. I think I'm due on Sunday but I'll have to check.
My PMS is still great. No cramping again today. I'm so excited. Feel like I'm really getting a grip on it.
Next month - yoga I hope. Gotta stay motivated. Also thinking of a high colonics like Julia but gosh , I mean , I don't know.
How long does it usually take for stuff to come when you order it online? I ordered my stuff on Xmas day.
Old 12-31-2004, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

Hopeful, you sound like you are on the right track. You will get there, I know.
A high colonic is a great idea, I might check into that too.

I'll be heading for OR on Saturday. I hope I can do this, it is so hard.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:27 AM

Hi Girls.. I'm sorry: "a high colonic is a great idea" just sounds so wrong to me!! You two are good for each other; you have so much in common!
Karen, you'll probably get this when you get back from your cousin's funeral.. I hope you're doing ok. That kind of death can be so hard to recover from for a family.. our prayers are surely with you.
Polka: I'm beginning to think any "he" doctor trying to take care of "she" patients is just a bad idea.. good luck in finding a new one!
I agree we need to keep this group for 40s ttc - like you say; there's plenty out there for ttc-ers in their "normal" childbearing years, which includes 30s, IMNTBHO. We have issues they don't even think about yet. I don't even consider "I'll be 40 in a couple months" eligible for this thread! I'm even thinking of starting a "45+ ttc" thread and seeing what we get!
Well, I'm off to the out-laws for the weekend - a 5 1/2 hour drive to upstate new york is just what I wanted to do today! Ya'll have a great Happy New Year!!
Good luck with all your (our!) baby efforts!!
Old 12-31-2004, 08:29 AM

Hey look! I'm not "New Member" anymore! I think 50 posts must be the magic number. Cool!
Old 12-31-2004, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Nan, why does a colonic sound wrong?
Old 01-02-2005, 03:12 PM

how is everyone?

Old 01-02-2005, 07:43 PM

Cd 1 today

31 day cycle...I get one of those every once in awhile just to make me think maybe this is really possible.

I feel guilty for not posting here much, but I felt like I didn't have a lot to contribute because I am not doing all of the dietary and supplement things that Velveteen and hopeful are doing. I think what you ladies are doing is great, I just haven't made those kind of changes yet. I may try progesterone next month, I just have to be sure to use it after I ovulate.

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
Old 01-02-2005, 10:07 PM

Hi ladies: It totally doesen't matter if you haven't changed your diet. It's a personal choice. I've always been kind of "diet concious". When we were kids, we were vegetarians. I fell away from it and got really unhealthy and underweight. My digestion was out and my hormones were totally messed up. As I'd mentioned before, my PMS lasted almost all month. I just knew, if I wanted to get healthy, I had to do something. That's all. Now, I'm just sort of having fun learning about all the healthy stuff. I found out that soya is really bad for you if you have a low thyroid. Well, here I was drinking soya milk every day. Since I stopped drinking that - it's amazing how much better I feel. Do you know that soya has phyto estrogens in it and can cause you to be estrogen dominant.
Anyway - I'm on day 28 which means tomorrow is af day. With my body acting differently I can't tell if she's coming or not. So even if she does show, at least I know, I'm on the right track. I do feel some weird twinges so I'm pretty sure she's waiting to attack.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it LOL
Old 01-03-2005, 02:25 PM

Happy New Year! I too was visited by af yesterday - on my anniversary no less!
Velveteen: I didn't mean it was a bad idea for you to do colonics; I haven't found enough proof that they work and I feel about them the way I do about douching. If we eat right and exercise our bodies take care of eliminating the bad stuff. I've read that , like douches, colonics can mess up the balance of the good stuff our bowels are doing. And the pros for it are more anecdotal and theoretical with no real studies proving the benefits. Again, that is just my take on it..
Mom4tot: I don't do all the "extras" to contribute to my fertility either. I guess I'm going at it more from a spiritual point of view: if God wants me to have another baby and I'm taking care of myself it will happen. I think I'm also beginning to be on the fence about ttc.. my youngest starts preschool tomorrow tho so I bet I jump right back to the ttc side again then!! empty nest syndrome? already?? :LOL
Wonder whatever happened to Momamusekim?
Old 01-04-2005, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanmama02
.... starting a "45+ ttc" thread and seeing what we get!
hello all, I have been lurking this thread for some time now and would definately join if you start a 45+ ttc thread :LOL There are lots of us out here!!! I have an e-mail list and also go to another board where there are a growing number of over 50's too--my biggest question is, how many over 45 are actually ttc naturally, without medical "help"---I was doing fine with Chinese herbals & lunar charting, ovulating, regular cycles and then got a little carried away with enthusiasm and did clomid (50 mg.- cd 3- cd7) for 2 cycles (Aug. and Sept.) I really regret it because I did not ovulate since August and no AF--just a bit of spotting last week.
Has anyone else been messed up on clomid? Were you able to get straightened out after that?

User Tag List