New Thread for 40+ and ttc - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-16-2004, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm rebooting today, its CD 1

But I think we need a new thread, that one was getting long!!

Nanmama, I too still think I have a baby waiting to come to me, but I guess not today. Congrats on that beautiful daughter you have!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2004, 01:30 PM

Hi all.

I'm sorry, Velveteen!

Me too - reboot, that is. AF was 5 days early! Does that mean anything in terms of fertility? I have always been very regular - every 28 days. I'm still waiting for TCOYF from the library.

Good idea to start a new thread, Velveteen! How about if we reintroduce ourselves? I was losing track. I'm Ellen, age 41, with two ds' aged 2 and 4. We've been ttc for 10 months. With both of my children, I got pg immediately, as soon as we'd decided to try. I was using a saliva testing thingie but this time it didn't seem to work so I've stopped using it.

I had the thought this month that I'm glad I didn't get pg right away this time - I'm glad that ds#2 has had this extra time to be the baby. But NOW I'm ready!
Old 08-17-2004, 07:30 PM

checking in - waiting to O -
I'm not counting on this month only b/c I've got my Mom in from out-of-town for DS's 1st b-day -
running around with the b-day stuff, etc. BUT who knows ??
I'm only temping @ this point.
I'm debating on TCOYF - I'm still b/fing tho.

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:47 PM

Location: Anywhere and Everywhere, but mostly in the foothills of the Cascades
Velveteen, I just PMed you with my story of getting a mammogram while breastfeeding. I was mad that NOBODY said breastfeeding was a contraindication. Yes, I should have known myself, and I did mention it after they did one side. But sheesh, they are supposed to tell you ALL the contraindications. The technician said that they usually only give mammograms to women "passed childbearing age." HELLOOOOO!!!

Ok, rant over.

Re-introduction: I am 46, TTC #2. We've been trying for about 2 years, or is it 2 1/2 by now. Got pregnant on Clomid, but that was a blighted ovum. Now trying to do it naturally. Wishing and hoping that I will still be able to give my DD a sibling, which she often tells me that she wants. How will I be able to tell her that she will never have a brother or sister?!?

I guess I feel a little discouraged today. I hope I have not been too much of a downer for you all.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:03 AM

Location: Anywhere and Everywhere, but mostly in the foothills of the Cascades
Ok, just because I am feeling a little down does not have to mean that it is all "Me, me, me!"

Napless - so sorry to hear about your re-boot. We all know what it feels like.

Polka - here's hoping you find the time and the privacy this month! We totally missed the last two months due to travelling and then moving. Trying to get the momentum back...
Old 08-22-2004, 06:39 PM

Hey everyone! I found you; thanks Velveteen, I should try reading the directions more often
OK, I'm Nancy, 46, I have three kids as you can see by my signature. I too had NO trouble conceiving any of them, had two other pregnancies in between and thought I'd be fertile the rest of my life! Then mid-40's crept in and whoa! Suddenly AF was wacko, either too soon, too late, not at all some months. I'm still nursing my soon-to-be 4 year-old, but not frequently, once or twice a day. I was still nursing his sister when I got PG with him easily enough. So lately I've decided that I'd better buckle down and do this "seriously". That's how I found you guys! One major obstacle is time to BD, not to mention the lack of libido on both sides! My dh works two jobs and we're both beat by the end (and sometimes the beginning!) of the day. So when I started charting I figured it would be a piece of cake to conceive based on all the signs. Oh contraire! So I'm using Fertilityfriend.com to chart and although it's hard to keep up with temps, cm signs, not to mention the joy of checking my cervix position etc,. it's become quite the obsession!
OK, enough about me!
Patti: you're where I am, good to see I'm not the oldest - HAHA. I'll be 46 on Tuesday and sometimes think I must be crazy. But what the heck! When it's something you gotta do, you do it! But don't be hard on yourself, we only do what we can. Now that things have settled down for you, you can re-focus and hopefully we'll hear some good news in a month or two for you..
Desiree: if you've gotten your period back, that means you should be O-ing, as I said my dd was 1 1/2 and I got pg, easily. I work at a Birth Center and see it all the time. TCOYF has a section on b/f & fertility, too. Happy Birthday to your little guy!
Velveteen, thanks for the new thread - I was getting tired of paging through!
Ellen: having AF early seems to be one of the things we in the 40+ crowd deal with. But at least it still coming should mean we're still making eggs! :
Well I've certainly had too much tea today, better switch to decaf! Caffeine even makes me "talk" too much online!
Take care everyone! Think baby!!
Old 08-24-2004, 10:26 AM

Hi Ladies.

May I come back and lurk for a bit? This past weekend I lost the baby. Dh and I tried to talk about ttc again, but neither of us can think that far ahead just yet. Still, I find myself coming back here, so maybe it a few months...

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

Old 08-24-2004, 11:18 AM

ah Joan that really stinks. Stay as long as you like - we're all here for you.. prayers and thoughts of comfort to you and your dh.. give yourselves a little time to grieve then it will be easier to make a decision on ttc again...
Old 08-24-2004, 02:21 PM

Oh Joan. I'm so sorry.

I'm sorry.

Ellen
Old 08-24-2004, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Oh no Joan!!! I am so very sorry.
Please come back and just chat when you feel ready. We are here for you.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:21 PM

Thank you all. I'm feeling a bit better now (though I reserve the right to fall into a funk again without notice )

We did have a bit of good news from my midwife today--she says we could ttc as soon as we feel ready, that there's no reason to wait a certain number of cycles.

So, does anyone have that link for really cheap ovulation tests? Not ready yet, but no harm in stocking up, right?

Old 08-25-2004, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Joan, I conceived the next cycle after my miscarriage, and went on to have a healthy ds. From what I understand, you have a window of opportunity that your fertility is higher, though I can't think of any links to prove it.
Again, lots of hugs your way Joan.
Old 08-28-2004, 10:40 PM

Thanks, Velveteen, that sounds hopeful.

Old 08-29-2004, 01:30 PM

well, who knows with this month - it was DS's 1st b-day on the 22 & we were so busy.

what do you guys think of the O predictors?

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:43 PM

I am sorry Joan

I agree with Velveteen. We conceived Ben 2 months after my eptopic pregnancy...even after losing my left tube. Good luck.

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
Old 08-29-2004, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polka123
what do you guys think of the O predictors?
I had been checking for signs of ovulation without using the predictors--cervical mucus/cervical position, etc. When I still wasn't getting pregnant, I used the opk for a few months to check and see if *my* method was on target. It was. Just keep in mind that the opks only indicate an LH surge, nothing else.

Old 08-29-2004, 03:17 PM

p.s. your son is gorgeous!

Old 08-30-2004, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter

Your son is georgeous!! I concur!

As for O predictors, I used those for a few months. I bought a Clear Blue Plan Monitor and I just love it. No more vagueness about impending O. I still do cervical mucous/height, and temp, but I love knowing what my body is up to.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:34 PM

reboot. not that I expected anything this month; there's been no time for BD since my last boot! This one was shorter, only 19 days and no sign of O at all.. but that's probably from me not being diligent as I could in charting this time. It seems my ds was up at weird times, I had trouble getting 3 hours sleep in a row, or I slept too late for bbt testing in the morning. ugh. sometimes I forget to even check cm. I just turned 46 and don't want to wait any longer but the way my cycles seem to be going it's an exercise in fertility. ha. I left that cause I meant to type "futility" and look how it came out. good grief. take me to a shrink, dr. freud.
a little bummed this week; sorry ladies!
Old 09-04-2004, 11:46 AM

I'm sorry, Nancy.

I have a question -- I've posted this elsewhere but thought I'd try and get as many answers as possible! I'm now 10 days post-m/c. I've been having signs of O for a couple of days, so yesterday I used an opk and it was positive! So my question is, does LH stay elevated while you're pregnant--could this just be "leftover" pregnancy hormones? Or could I really be ovulating already?

At my follow-up OB appt., they did a pregnancy test and it was negative, which I took to mean that ALL the preg. hormones were gone from my system. So I don't really know what to make of this.

I'm hopeful, and scared to death at the same time.

Old 09-04-2004, 12:09 PM

well, my temp took a big dip this a.m. so I think AF is coming :

Joan, I'm not the good on all the aspects of O'ing- did you post that ? on the main TTC thread?

Nancy- where are you in PA ? I'm sw Central or east SW

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO TO EVERYONE.

I'm 43 & left with 1 tube/ovary from Endo. Conceiving DS was blessed surprise.

our Ins. does not cover fertility so... I don't know. We do not have the finances to pay ourselves.

What is everyone doing. I'm just temping right now. Thinking of getting an O predictor.
Anyone using one?
thoughts?

Old 09-04-2004, 05:58 PM

Desirre, sorry about the temp drop.

At the moment, I'm just checking cervical position and fluid, though I do have a basal thermometer on order (let's see if I can remember to use it before getting out of bed.) I signed up for fertility friend but since I haven't gotten a period yet since the m/c I'm not sure what cd I'm on.

I have a supply of opk's but haven't used a monitor (is that the same an an O predictor?)

Old 09-04-2004, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Desiree, sorry about the temp drop

I use a Clear Blue Plan Fertility Monitor, and I love it. I needed the ambiguity taken out of when I O. I used OP'ks, but they are somewhat subjective.
If you want to use them for the most good, you need to take 2 opk's a day during what is your most fertile time usually. then, you can find out WHEN you are getting your surge and time things more appropriately.

Joan, your LH is very likely elevated still from your pregnancy. When I had my chemical pg, my monitor registered 'high' on day 6, which was nearly a week earlier than it should have been.

Nanmama, thinkin' of you!
Old 09-05-2004, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velveteen
Joan, your LH is very likely elevated still from your pregnancy.
:

I told myself I wouldn't get crazy about ttc this time. Guess I blew it already.

Old 09-13-2004, 10:53 AM

Well gals I'm thinking this effort is futile. AF came again yesterday, which made for a 15-day cycle. This is getting ridiculous. My last three cycles were 23, 19 and 15 days. Next thing I know I'll be bleeding all month. I can't seem to sleep 3 hours straight in order to get a good BBT in the morning at the same time.. do I take it at 5 if it's been 3 hours sleep? Or wait til 6 so that I'm taking it at the same time every day? How do you have time for BD when you have little ones in your bed and besides that your dh works two jobs?
Sorry to complain; I really thought we were going to try to have another. My body doesn't seem to be cooperating, tho. **heavy sigh**

So how's everyone else doing?
Old 09-13-2004, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Nancy, I feel your frustration. Do you think that your menses are just getting shorter and shorter because of stress? Or have you taken the menopause test that Walgrens has for about 15 or 20 dollars? It would tell you if your FSH is 25 or above, which signals reduced ability for conception. Maybe it would provide you some peace of mind either way.

As for me, I'm on CD 2, starting ALL over again.

This cycle, I'm trying Clomid for the very first time. Boo hoo, I'm just NOT an intervention type person.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:17 PM

Hey V: thanks for your words of wisdom. I saw that test in the grocery store but the thought of buying it horrified me! It's like admitting it, you know? But, probably not a bad idea. To at least know something..
Are you ready for the Clomid wild ride? Did they rule out any other problems (such as low sperm count)? Do you get any grief about it because you're "AMA"?
I'm like you; I was thinking good grief I've done this four times before surely I can kick out one more!!! But listen let us know how you're doing and if you (or your family! ) need support we're right here..
Still up on the fence..
Old 09-13-2004, 09:50 PM

I have no walgreens here but maybe some of the other drug stores carry a menop. test.

My af's have always been short & they've been really long.
my af's have been getting shorter each time.

we're really gonna pay attention this cycle.

Velveteen - keep us posted on the clomid

Old 09-14-2004, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter

Nancy, I hope my ride is not too wild. If it is, it will be my first and last ride on Clomid.
And remember, Julia Indichova, the author of 'Inconceivable' the lady I keep quoting, conceived her daughter with a FSH of 30, which is techically menopause. As long as were cycling, there is still an egg, and where there is still an egg, there is still the possibility of a baby! FSH is merely a good indicator, it isn't a death of fertility sentence. In fact, FSH flucuates, can be brought down by our diet too. So don't give up!!

Anyone here take Wheat grass? That's my prime reason for taking it, is to lower FSH. Not that I know what mine is, but if it's high, it will be good for it.

I'm doing a 'unsupervised' Clomid cycle. I have read all the side effects, the possible side effects, and the possible help it might give me. I hope it is the boost I need. Like I said, if the ride is wild I won't do it again. I'm most reluctant, but I'm not getting any younger either, especially after ttc 11 months now. I've just been checked out with an ob, and I am really really healthy, with no reproductive issues, blood work and all is healthy too. I can't understand WHY I can't get pg, after all, I've revamped my eating style, and refined any little thing I could think of that would impact my fertility.

Oh, and I've noticed that you can get tested 'over the internet' by purchasing a saliva test that is sent into a lab. This test is more detailed than the menopause test, it tests estradiol, progesterone and one more hormone that is not coming to mind right now. It's about 65.00. The money made me not do it, and I decided that if my hormones were wacked out, I wasn't sure I wanted to know that. But maybe I'll change my mind, just not yet.
Old 09-17-2004, 05:37 PM

Wow! I am so glad that I found this thread today. It is really helping my attitude.

Sorry, Joan. I am in the same situation as you. Just lost my baby two weeks ago. (first trimester, again!)

Let me introduce myself... I'm Susan, I'm 39 years old (big 4-0 in April) Hope you all don't mind me going this thread but honestly all of the 20 and 30 yos and I have nothing in common. My dh is a still super handsome 51. We have been happily married for 17 years but have no children. He says we are still practicing (dd).

We were pg about 8 years ago and lost it at 8 wks. Then a few weeks ago (in August) another baby snuck up on us. Wow were we happy. It was such a joy especially after the unexpected death of my mother in April. The baby was due right around that anniversary and was going to be named after her.

Anyway, I have done so much research on this subject that I feel like a walking fertility textbook, but still no bambino.

Wish I had seen this thread then. Boy, was I angry, hurt, confused, disappointed.... Well, honestly still am its just not as sharp.

I want to try again but need a supporting community to help me get there :

Nancy thanks for the info that fertility should be really high right now and that you and others have conceived again right after m/c. It makes me feel soooo much better about trying again.

User Tag List