Has anyone tried the saliva ovulation test? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 09-06-2002, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone tried one of those saliva ovulation tests? I researched & bought a microscope and am going to give it a try this month. I haven't gotten a good reading yet but it's still early in the month for me.

Been quietly hanging around here for over 10 years.  

#2 of 27 Old 09-06-2002, 11:05 PM

I'd love to hear how it works for you. I've thought about adding it to my fertility tool box, so to speak. How long did it take you to get it?
#3 of 27 Old 09-07-2002, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter

I decided to buy a microscope that would be useful not only for fertility testing but my dd in a few years

On epinions, there were a few comments on how small the peep/view hole was, and for about the same price, I got this one that hooks into my computer (!!): (no affiliation)

http://www.ink4inkjets.com/inplayqx3usb.html

Edit to add: I think it came within a week of ordering, I've been so busy that I don't exactly remember the amount of days.

I'm impressed with it, but haven't tried it for fertility (saliva) testing just yet. I should have some images to post within a week.

I read that it was 90% accurate, gave you a larger window of time (approx 48 hours) on when you were ovulating so that you wouldn't miss the window. It sounds good.

I'm curious to see if I'm actually ovulating, and when my days are (I am charting impaired).

#4 of 27 Old 09-07-2002, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, I have to mention this 'cause it cracked me up :LOL

I finally figured out what AF meant (I thought I was a total idiot for not being able to even guess what it meant). When I was in HS we called it a visit from Martha (pronounced Maaa-tha). Haven't thought of that one in ages!!

:LOL

#5 of 27 Old 09-12-2002, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

I finally had some time to play with the microscope last night and am not sure if I'm doing something wrong - it's not easy to see any sort of pattern. I need to figure out the proper way to prepare a slide.. more later.

#6 of 27 Old 09-12-2002, 03:48 PM

I have one that i got from a local midwife. It's called a pg/53 You twist open the piece, lick the lens, let it dry, swivel the lens in front of the magnifier, and place it up to your eye as you look towards a bright light source. It works great! If not fertile, there is just some random dotting, if fertile it has some neat ferning patterns.
#7 of 27 Old 09-12-2002, 04:01 PM

myrhhmaid~

Do you know how much that cost?

It sounds great and you could use it over and over instead of using the disposable sticks.

I guess I might be able to get one from a midwife here. Does anyone know another source?

Thanks,
Stephanie

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
#8 of 27 Old 09-12-2002, 04:05 PM

It was so long ago, maybe $15.-$20.? Try calling the local health dept. or free clinic. or try a midwife. the one i got is manufactured in Barcelona Spain.
#9 of 27 Old 09-13-2002, 10:05 PM

I almost took one. It was to check for ovulation. It was thought I had a hormonal imbalance. I was growing tons o facial hair and gaining weight I couldn't stop.

I got mine from a bio-health guy and was supposed to spit in a vial andsend away the vials after 1 month. They were going to track my ovulation to make sure my progesterone took over when it was possible.

I don't know how it would have worked though because I was already pg and couldn't take it.

But I know you can do it and send it to a lab to be analyzed.

HTH--Megan

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#10 of 27 Old 09-15-2002, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Stephanie,

The tests range from $40 - $70 and I found this comparision page to get you started, research them first:

http://www.ovulens.com/comparison.html

I am seeing specks and dots from my microscope, so I'm a little frustrated 'cause I'm really hoping to see that fern pattern.

I'll keep trying as often as I can, everyday or so, and report back if anything changes. I may post images if I think it's working.

#11 of 27 Old 09-21-2002, 07:57 PM

my sister-in-law used the kind of lens for saliva and seemed to like it. she got pregnant within about three or four months and was getting anxious about her fertility. she was quite squeamish at the idea of using cervical mucus/vaginal discharge, but i have read that these secretions show more accurate changes than saliva. i've only seen that in one article, and that was years ago, so it might well be different now.

the shettles book on choosing the sex of your baby has a lot of info on combining methods for ovulation prediction down to the hour, since its method for gender selection is based on very precise times of conception.
#12 of 27 Old 10-03-2002, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

After a few unsuccessful attempts with my microscope, I decided to buy Ovulens to see if it were easier (it is).

I got used to how to get a good sample after a few tries and became more patient (the saliva sample really needs 20 min or so to dry first!). I saw the dots/spots. But then a week ago I saw ferning!! It was very clear and easy to see so we took advantage of knowing and am now waiting.

The weird thing is.. the ferning occured tues and then I started AF the next day. 7 days later (AF gone) I see ferning again for 2 days so I'm not sure if it's me/BF/test.

I'm thinking I need to see my cycles/patterns over time. I'm not quite sure what to think right now, am I in the 2WW or am I not regular yet or am I somehow taking the test wrong.

I'll update this again if anything changes.

-J

#13 of 27 Old 10-04-2002, 04:08 PM

Thanks for the info boobear. I really hope you get don't need to use it again next month, hopefully you will find out you are pregnant!

Stephanie

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
#14 of 27 Old 10-08-2002, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

You're so sweet Stephanie! thank you

#15 of 27 Old 10-16-2002, 02:49 PM

I bought the Ovulens brand - it seems pretty good but I havent' gotten close to Oing yet. My OPK backups haveverified it. There is a pattern when you are transitioning to fertile so it really gives you a week befroe your LH surge to cover it.. unfortunately for me so far this cycle is AO. It was 39.95, and made in the US - it got here in less than 4 days for shipping of 5.95.
#16 of 27 Old 10-16-2002, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

I'm in my second month of using the Ovulens and just starting to see a pattern (which is good). It took a few days to get the hang of doing an accurate test/saliva sample but now it's part of my morning routine.

Mommy StormRaven - How long have you been using this method?

I'm transitioning into O right now, my hubby is a bit extra happy at the moment (and will be for the next few days)

Here we go again.. wheeeeeeee....

#17 of 27 Old 10-16-2002, 06:29 PM

I just got my ovulens about 2 weeks ago. I havent' seen a trans pattern yet but my test for today is now dryig so I can view it. My OPK was just + for my surge about an hour ago so I hope to see somethign other than the nonfertile pattern that has been there!
#18 of 27 Old 10-23-2002, 12:11 PM

Just an FYI - I did get a Fernign pattern the same time I got a Positive OPK! Ovulation was verified via ultrasound two days later so it's official the ovulens works!
#19 of 27 Old 10-23-2002, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Thanks for the info! I'm thinking of getting an Ovulens if I don't conceive this cycle, because temp charting doesn't work out for me due to irregular sleep schedule and my tendency to sit bolt upright with heart racing when the alarm goes off. : I do get very noticeable EWCM most times, but I'd like to have something to corroborate it.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#20 of 27 Old 10-23-2002, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Great news Mommy StormRaven!! Good luck I hope to join you one of these months

EnviroBecca, I'd recommend it.. I was about to start charting but I know I wouldn't be able to keep it up. I like that this gives one a few days notice to actually ovulating.

Once I saw ferning I was really excited! At least I know I'm getting an accurate test done.

I thought I was seeing a good pattern.. I think I was a little pre-mature on that one. I'm almost thru 2 months with Ovulens. Spots right now..

#21 of 27 Old 11-07-2002, 01:55 PM

The charting isn't working for me either...I take my temp when I've already been up (walked from the bed to the bathroom).

I am glad I found this thread...I am going to buy the Ovulens...although I missed this month...I will see how this works. I knew about this type of thing months ago, but I thought I could chart and have no problems...HA!
#22 of 27 Old 11-08-2002, 04:28 PM

When my period started on Tuesday, I told myself, Okay, this is a new cycle, and this time I'm going to get it right! I ordered my Ovulens that morning, and it arrived yesterday. What a cute little gadget. I observed my dotty saliva this morning and am looking forward to seeing some ferning in a couple of weeks, I hope!

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

#23 of 27 Old 11-08-2002, 09:10 PM

I'm nursing a 2 yr old and TTC. I don't temp but I try to pay attention to what my CM looks like. I know that a breastfeeding woman's CM is confusing in that fertile-type CM comes and goes throughout her cycle and it's difficult to tell when/if she ovulates. Does anyone know if this is also a problem with the saliva test? I.e. can the ferning pattern appear and disappear several times during a cycle, or will it only happen if ovulation is definitely on its way?

Thanks.
#24 of 27 Old 11-12-2002, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

EnviroBecca & BBMom, I really like using Ovulens. It's part of my morning routine.

Good luck Allison. I am BF my 18 mo old and my cycles (temp/ferning/CM) are going to be hard to chart, too. I'm going to keep figuring out my most fertile days and go for it.. what have I got to lose

I started out avoiding charting.. my days are already too full of enough things to do. But I realized I should take my temp before I got up. And, it doesn't take much more effort to note what my CM is like.

I'm enjoying learning more about my body. I feel so much more empowered when I have the need to talk to or see a doctor.

#25 of 27 Old 11-18-2002, 04:51 PM

Boobear, any tips on getting enough saliva first thing in the morning? During the furnace season, I always wake up with a dry mouth, but the instructions say to take the sample before drinking anything! I can work up some saliva w/effort, but then it's foamy which they say not to use, and the one time I did the sample was unreadable. When I don't have enough saliva, it dries in narrow streaks that I can't see.

I've already got a morning routine that involves several uses of the snooze-alarm.: What if I get up for a drink of water on the first alarm, then get my sample at the next alarm? Will those 8 minutes allow my saliva to overcome the diluting effect of the water? My assumption is that I'll be able to tell if the sample is too diluted because it'll be blank instead of dotty or ferny--but I'm not sure if that's correct or if there are enough minerals or other things in my water that I might get a false result.

#26 of 27 Old 11-20-2002, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

EnviroBecca, I wish I had advice on that.. there's some mornings that my mouth is fairly dry. I typically get a decent sample after I use the bathroom, sometimes I just run the slide part under my tongue a few times until it looks like I've got something.

If the air is really cold by you maybe a humidifyer might help..??

If you can remember, try to get a sample 2 hours after you eat/drink anything (before lunch?).

Good luck!!

#27 of 27 Old 11-21-2002, 03:58 PM

Hmm, I hadn't thought of sticking the thing into my mouth--I've been trying to collect the sample on my finger as shown in the illustration. Even when my mouth seems wet, it's hard to get much. Oh, and I learned quickly that scraping my finger on the edge of the slide to make sure all the saliva comes off, or rubbing or patting in an effort to distribute it, only makes it into sort of ridges that are hard to read!

This morning I think I saw transition or ferning! But it was all in one spot, but that might be the one spot that got any saliva.... The rest was pretty much blank. (Why isn't there a "crossed fingers" smilie?)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page