Q's about Evening Primrose Oil... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 02-08-2005, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey all - this is Cycle 3 of TTCing while nursing a 14 month old. My EWCM has been fairly non-existent - possibly due to dehydration, so I'm on the water/green tea binge as well as taking EPO.

Who's used this with a positive effect on EWCM?

How long did it take to have an effect on EWCM? (Immediate, a few months..)

Any negative side effects?

Thanks

DEe
#2 of 21 Old 02-08-2005, 04:32 PM

I started taking the evening primrose oil (about 1000-2000 mg/day) plus prenatals plus a balanced B-100 complex plus green tea, plus cutting down significantly on caffeine. I think I started this 2-3 weeks before I was due to ovulate this month and I did notice a difference in both the quality and quantity of EWCM this time. (both were significantly better!) I didn't completely cut out the EPO after O (although I've read you're supposed to) but I did cut down the dosage a lot through a combination of intention and laziness!

The only negative effects I've noticed is that sometimes I've gotten a little nauseous after taking too many of these supplements at one time, so I started staggering them throughout the day and taking them with some food.

Oh, one interesting positive side effect that I noticed was that I was suddenly able to wear my contact lenses comfortably for long periods of time! That's the first time THAT happenned! I think that was because of the EPO.

Oh, BTW--nice pictures! You have a beautiful family!
#3 of 21 Old 02-10-2005, 07:40 PM

I've been taking EPO (plus B vitamins, plus a multi, plus a cal/mag/zinc) for a cycle now, and last cycle I didn't see any EWCM increase. I'm still taking it, though, and I'm hoping it'll kick in soon.

No negative side effects here-- it's just an Omega-3, so I think it's pretty harmless as far as supplements go.

Anybody else with info on how it's worked? I'm curious about this, too.....

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#4 of 21 Old 02-11-2005, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies gals! I have noticed more CM so far, but the true test is the EWCM. I have been diligent on the green tea as well so I don't know how much to chalk up to the EPO as well - will have to report back.

The contact lens thing is interesting...will have to test it out since I don't wear mine much b/c of dry eyes.

Dee
#5 of 21 Old 02-13-2005, 04:31 PM

Interesting development....this cycle I decided to double my dose of EPO, from 1300 to 2600, and I think I'm seeing a difference already. The true test will be in a couple of weeks when I'm Oing, but we'll see!

Anybody else want to share their dosage?

#6 of 21 Old 02-15-2005, 07:11 PM

Hi everyone...just an update:

Since doubling my dose, I've noticed a lot of crampiness. I did an internet search on EPO, and in high doses (3,000mg or so) it can cause uterine cramps. That's also the reason you're supposed to stop taking it when you ovulate...any uterine cramps can interfere with implantation and a healthy pregnancy.

Also, in some of the stuff I read it mentioned it might take as many as three months to see results from taking EPO.

Needless to say, I'm going back to my previous 1,300mg dose. Cramping everyday stinks.

Edited to add: High doses can also delay ovulation.

#7 of 21 Old 02-15-2005, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

ROM - thanks for your post - it gives me a whole whack of hope...

You see, I'd upped my dosage to 1500 mg a day (from 500) and I thought it may have caused an early O At any rate, my OPKs have been negative when today/yest they should have been VERY POSITIVE per normal. I thought I felt an O twinge at CD 11 (I normally O on CD 15-18). Anyway.......perhaps MAYBE it's *late* instead of early...wishing, praying...god let there be hope...ah nuts.

PS thanks for the head's up on EWCM

Dee
#8 of 21 Old 02-16-2005, 06:23 AM

Thanks for the info ROM, I was unaware that EPO causes uterine cramps it makes sense now why it is only taken 1st half of cycle
#9 of 21 Old 02-21-2005, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Just a quick update -

I did O, a week late - I'm usually like clockwork so this *may* have something to do with the EPO.

BUT

My EWCM has been the best I've seen in a loooooong time! This is definately b/c of the EPO.

Dee
#10 of 21 Old 02-22-2005, 07:56 PM

I just started taking EPO a week ago, and I think it has delayed ovulation for me, too. I started taking 500mg/day, the upped it to 1000mg/day. I originally picked it up as an alternative to fish oils. My cycle has been 28-29 days for several months, and now I'm on day 24 with no bbt rise and abundant ewcm. Does anyone know if EPO can sustain ewcm even after ovulation?

thanks,

meg

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

#11 of 21 Old 03-03-2005, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Just want to give an update...

the EPO worked!! I have a BFP!!! I got good quality EWCM after months of really crappy quality. That means that Omega 3 oil hlped me get PG twice - I used Nutrasea fish oil the month I got PG the first time and got HEAPS of the best quality EWCM I've ever seen...like in the Toni Weschler pictures.

I'd say that both were effective, but the fish oil worked way better for me.

Good luck to you all!

Dee
#12 of 21 Old 03-03-2005, 03:28 PM

RainCoastMama~ : Congratulations!!! That's the best news!!! :

Were you using 1500mg the whole cycle? Share your secrets!!

#13 of 21 Old 03-03-2005, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ROM

I used 1500 mg from CD 1 until O, then stopped (could cause uterine contrax). I had a few light headaches that may have been caused by it (I never get those).

The fish oil - 1 tsp every day the entire cycle. It's good throughout the PG for the babe's eye and brain development.

Dee
#14 of 21 Old 03-03-2005, 04:14 PM

YAY!! That's so great, congratulations!

EPO works pretty well for me, I'd say... I got EWCM much earlier in this cycle than I usually do, which made me panic for awhile, thinking that I'm about to O early, when I'm not going to be able to see DB until next week! But I ran a couple of saliva ov tests, and I'm not there yet, so whew. It's just the EPO doing its work.
#15 of 21 Old 03-03-2005, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainCoastMama
Thanks ROM

I used 1500 mg from CD 1 until O, then stopped (could cause uterine contrax). I had a few light headaches that may have been caused by it (I never get those).

The fish oil - 1 tsp every day the entire cycle. It's good throughout the PG for the babe's eye and brain development.

Dee
right, I remembered hearing about taking EPO up to O then stop until CD 1 - right?

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#16 of 21 Old 03-04-2005, 03:33 AM

COngrats!! So regardless of the late O it worked??!! Yay!

So about fish oil- is there an effective pill form? Any kind? A certain brand that is better than others? Or anything?
#17 of 21 Old 03-04-2005, 02:25 PM

Eskimo 3 (i think...it's eskimo something) is a good brand...I definitly prefer the pills. i think the liquid is yucky....just keep em in the fridge!!
#18 of 21 Old 03-04-2005, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Out of all of the liquid fish oil brands out there, Nutrasea tasted the best. NO fishy taste (makes me gag in other brands!) - it tastes like a very light, gourmet lemon oil. Even the Peachy Keen one for kids was too fishy for me. This one, hands down, is the best.

Dee
#19 of 21 Old 03-04-2005, 08:54 PM

I'm new to TTC, DD was conceived while on the pill. So please pardon the silly quesitions I have. Ok, so do you take fish oil and EPO or just one or the other? Thanks!
#20 of 21 Old 03-10-2005, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

One or the other - they're basically the same thing - Omega 3/6. You can also get it from a variety of other places - eg. flaxseed oil, salmon, etc. but the concentrated form (pill/oil) worked best for me.
contactmaya likes this.
#21 of 21 Old 03-10-2005, 04:47 PM

I did just want to ditto that you should stop during the second half of your cycle and especially if you do get a BFP. I was advised to start taking EPO during my last pg once I got to term to hopefully move things along (midwives were concerned about big baby). Anyway the handout they gave me basically said that if you took it in large doese for a few days that it would start labor. That was not my experience but I would be very leary of taking something that is used to start labor during early pg.

Good luck to you all
robyn

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page