Worried - Clomid/Ectopic Pregnancy?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-24-2005, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
O.K., o.k., talk me down ladies . . .

I had weird “tugging” and "pinging" sensations after my last IUI - 7 days ago. Was pretty excited about the sensations, but now they have resolved into dull abdominal pain the last few days - specifically on my left side. I first thought it was back-related (I have a compressed disk on my left), but I am now sure it is not because it's become more sharp pain. I did some research on the web about TTC and abdominal pain. Apparently, chlomid increases the chance of ectopic pregnancy (as well as cysts):

"Ectopic Pregnancy: There is an increased chance of ectopic pregnancy (including tubal and ovarian sites) in women who conceive following Clomid 50mg Tablets therapy. Ectopic pregnancy associated with Clomid 50mg Tablets involves a multiple pregnancy with coexisting extrauterine and intrauterine gestations."

But, I called my RE and she wants me in for an ultrasound in the morning if the pain does not resolve. The nurse said that ectopic pregnancy risks are still quite low with clomid (my research on medical websites says it increases it from .8% to about 4.8%), and they might not be able to see anything yet on an ultrasound, but that they could check for a cyst. Anyone had any experience with this kind of pain after clomid? Should I be worried? Not worried? :

Any information would be great.
#2 of 7 Old 02-24-2005, 10:17 PM

No real answers here, but I will say that my ovaries felt sore when I was taking clomid. I felt real pain when I think I ovulated, and there was still a soreness for a couple of weeks afterwards (during which time I was indeed pregnant--with twins). I think my ovaries were hyperstimulated, but I can't know for sure since absolutely no u/s monitoring was done of them. I didn't know then what I know now.

I would be surprised if an ectopic pregnancy could make you feel so much pain so early on. . . usually I think women start to feel pain around 6 weeks when the embryo gets bigger. But definitely you should get it checked out just in case.

A cyst can also cause the kind of pain you describe, I've had a lot of those. Usually they just go away on their own, and shouldn't interfere with a pregnancy.

Baby dust and hugs to you!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#3 of 7 Old 02-24-2005, 11:54 PM

I haven't had pain after O w/clomid. I usually feel "activity" before O and also pain with O. So, basically, I'm no help. LOL!

Good luck!!

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#4 of 7 Old 02-25-2005, 12:02 AM

W4B: I just wanted to second what lexbeach said. I had pretty intense bloating and discomfort with ovulation from the clomid and then was also "sore." The soreness was primarily one sided. I was very scared of ectopic since the pain continued for awhile even after I got a bfp. Since this was my first cycle of clomid I also don't know whether this was a "twin" thing or a "clomid" thing.

You could ask them to check a beta when you go for your u/s. Betas sometimes rise more slowly with ectopics. With this pg I got a very light bfp at 9dpo, and had a beta of over 300 by 12dpo, so a quant hcg might give you something at this point.

Fingers crossed for you!!!

Trying to get my bearings...
#5 of 7 Old 02-25-2005, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice ladies!!!! My u/s today gave some explanations for the pain. Turns out that I have two hemoragging cysts - one on each ovary. They are hemoragging mostly fluid rather than blood. The RN said that was very normal with a clomid cycle with multiple follicles - it's similar to bruising and will make the ovary sore. This is probably what we all were feeling - Lex and Ellie'smom. Oh, and I did feel the "activity" with the clomid ovulation that you described, Mimid.

What made the left side really painful was that the fluid was spilling out of the ovary into my abdominal cavity. So, they checked my temperature (in case of infection) and prescribed fluids, rest, and tylenol. I was told that the cysts will go away on their own in about a week or so. So . . . I'm feeling less silly than I would have had it not been anything!!

And, you are right, Ellie'smom, it's too early to tell about EP on ultrasound. I was told since I'm about 8dpo I should wait a week to test. Then, if I get a BFP, they will do two quant hcg tests, two days apart, to see how I am doing. If I still continue to have pain after that, they will probably give me another ultrasound. Your input and my visit makes me feel much more assured that it's probably not an EP!!
#6 of 7 Old 02-25-2005, 05:09 PM

Wow waiting4baby - thanks for starting this thread. It is very informative. I had my IUI last Thursday and I feel that pain you mentioned in my right ovary. It's been a slight pain all day today. It's the same ovary that just killed me for a week after ovulation. This is my second clomid cycle and I'm on 100mg so I bet I have the same problem as you.
I'm starting to think we should start an IUI waiting to know thread. I'm talking to about three other women who are in their 2ww as well.
#7 of 7 Old 02-25-2005, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Hopeful - Hi there! I was so glad to hear from other women that the ovary pain after clomid/IUI was normal!! Although, it's sad that we can now accept pain as part of TTC as "normal!" :LOL

About starting an 2ww IUI thread - I usually post on the 30+, TTC *@*$#& thread. There are a LOT of women on that thread who have been TTC for a long time and have moved to IUI. Including Ellie'smom (who's now expecting twins!!), Korin, Adina (although she may be moving to IVF soon ), and others. It's been a really informative site, and I love the women there. We don't list thread subscribers as "waiting to 0" or "waiting to know" - we just list them all as "loved and here." Less stress, perhaps . . but lots to love.

If you don't fit the 30+ category, but are IUI'ing, I am sure the women there would welcome you. Or you can lurk to see for yourself - everyone is amazingly supportive!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page