Nursing mamas getting pregnant in April - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 223 Old 04-16-2005, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you mind if i join????

here's my chart.. http://www2.fertilityfriend.com/home/223a2
i'm 27dpo today. i tested this am and thoguht i saw afaint bfp..but i dont know if i did ornot.. probably not... i got a neg on Monday night. (23dpo i think)

I can't think of much else...oh the spotting on cd28 and 29 was kind of like light bleeding but my temps didn't drop so i dont know what is up.. i've been nauseous and getting heart burn/ indegestion. i've been tired, and i can't stand nursing at the moment.. well i do stand it.. but it dosn't feel all that comfy. anyway.. anything else you want to know?
#122 of 223 Old 04-16-2005, 10:16 PM

Hi - I'm new here, could you add me? I guess I'm waiting for the first pp - I keep hoping some of these rumblings down under are the start of the return of my fertility . Well, even if things aren't happening yet DH and I are still working on things!
#123 of 223 Old 04-16-2005, 11:06 PM

Well, DH and I have officially decided to take at least one month off ttcing. We are unsure at this point about how we will add to our family (considering fostering, etc) and with some upcoming travel plans we've decided to take some time to relax, talk, and pray. So, maybe move me to waiting to be ready?

: Frogmorest, looks good to me! Congrats!
#124 of 223 Old 04-16-2005, 11:48 PM

Does anyone know if limiting breastfeeding in different ways could help fertility return? Is it important to somehow cut back on night nursing? Is it the length of time that they nurse during a session, or is it the time between nursing that determines fertility? My period came back in the fall, but it's been wacky and now, worst of all, I'm in the midst of an anovulatory cycle complete with withdrawal bleeding. I started taking vitex a week ago, but I'm wondering if I should cut my 2 year old back. She nurses quite a few times at night and about every 3 hours during the day.
Congratulations to all the BFPs!
Janine
#125 of 223 Old 04-17-2005, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Tjttc#2, can you let me know if you have a son or daughter and how old he/she is, so I can add you to the list? Re. your chart, it does look like you o'ed, but as far as I know, a positive hpt will usually show way before 20 dpo. Maybe others have some input.
Tammy, let me know when you think I should add you to the success stories!
Sleepymama, where is the follow-up test?!
Ana, how are you doing? Are you officially pregnant? I've been wondering about you.

I'm doing a little housekeeping on the list (it's getting reeeeally long). Would you guys object to removing the 2004 success stories, or should we just keep them all there?
Also, would the following mommas let me know if they're still here/want to stay on the list? Laura (achintyasamma), Kristin, scbegonias, Kathleen (Kokomom), Stephanee, MuhajibahMama, Adrianne, JennP, Jessica (mimi!), Michelemiller, Courtney, Carolyn, Caryn, Jen, Jodi, Dee. Thanks!

mama to my August boys ('03 & '06) trying to figure out what to do after 5 losses
#126 of 223 Old 04-17-2005, 12:31 AM

Yeah i know my chart is way messed up.. lol.. anyway i have a DS and he's 15 months old.
#127 of 223 Old 04-17-2005, 04:54 PM

Congrats to the ladies with BFPS, even if you're not sure yet.

ratlover - I've done a lot of research on the return to fertility. There is no one factor, as it is highly individual. The key is how your body responds to the amount of suckling your child is doing. Some women have full fertility return within a few months; some must wait until full weaning. Both cases are extremes, and not very common. If you are not conceiving, your body is just not ready. Of course, there may be other fertility issues that have nothing to do with nursing. I can't get to the file on my PC right now, but I'll try to remember to post the stats later on return to fertility milestones. HTH!
#128 of 223 Old 04-17-2005, 05:17 PM

Okay, here's my "artilcle": :LOL

Ok, I'm here. *Ahem* And now for a few words on luteal phases... :LOL

Let's see. First, read Fertility, Cycles and Nutrition. I found that *very* helpful. I take 2 balanced (i.e. more folic acid) B-100 tablets a day. B-6 is the crucial element here, but you shouldn't take it in isolation. Nutrition is about balance. I can't help with Vitex, but others here take it and can advise you.

Remember that the goal is not to lengthen your LP. It is to create a state of health and balance where your body is functioning at optimum levels. As nursing moms, we have a lot higher nutritional demands. Also, if you eat a lot of caffeine, sugar and processed foods, you are depleting your body of B vitamins. That was a real wake-up call to me - I'm eating all of this crap, then taking vitamins to replace what I'm losing? How does that make sense? :LOL

My #1 resource is www.kellymom.com. There's a great section on Breastfeeding and Pregnancy there. I did a little research on LP in bfing moms, as well.

There's not a lot of info out there about the luteal phase deficiency aspect of the transition to fertility for nursing moms. Most sites only discuss ovulation. I did a search on PubMed, and here's what I found:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q..._uids=12311528
Especially this bit: "45% of the completed menstrual cycles during lactation were anovular and of the 55% which were ovular, many were associated with defective luteal phases. " I don't know how long they monitored the women, as the full text wasn't available, but it does make me feel better that I"m not the only one ovulating and having a short LP.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q..._uids=11589131
General discussion of return to fertility.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...t_uids=8324608
"When ovulatory cycles associated with adequate luteal phases were considered, the corresponding figures were 13.8% at 6 months and 37.5% at 12 months." That means that at 12 months postpartum, only 37.5% of women had both ovulation and adequate luteal phases to support implantation. Make you feel any better? Does me.
#129 of 223 Old 04-17-2005, 10:08 PM

Looks like a line tammy! Congrats!!

I am such a freak, here I was waiting for AF SO bad, I got it and was SO exciyted and now I am having second thoughts! My baby is only 14 months old. I got preggo last time, when my daughter was 15 months, so I know I can do it, and I like the age gap, but but but.......
Always a but!
I guess just cold feet.....

I think reality just hit me that I could actually be preggo in a couple weeks..

I guess I am ready. We want one more kid, and then thats it. I feel like it should be now before I get any older, before the other kids get any older, I really want to go to nursing school and eventually be a midwife... so I want to get on with it, then move on to the next chapter in my life.
I guess that is why I am scared, I cant imagine what will come after babies, I mean thats all I am good at, is having babies.
sigh..
#130 of 223 Old 04-17-2005, 10:20 PM

*lurking*

Congrats Tammy! : Sending sticky baby vibes to you. s

, , , mama to Ross , Reagan (8/29/05), Joshua (from Haiti...here NOW due to the earthquake!), and Elijah , born safely 9-8-09.
#131 of 223 Old 04-17-2005, 10:54 PM

I've now taken another test today with the darkest light line yet I have one more test that I think I'll take tuesday if I can hold off that long You can go ahead and move me on over! I am just hopin this is a sticky!!!!!

Tam
#132 of 223 Old 04-18-2005, 02:42 AM

Thanks for posting those articles, Tomsgirl. The one explaining how nursing affects LH was new to me. I've been trying since the fall when my period came back, so I'm just getting discouraged that my cycles aren't improving at all. I want my dd to have a sibling before she's 4!
Janine
#133 of 223 Old 04-18-2005, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
sadly that faint line was waaaaay too faint...CD2 today. Good news though--vitex is working and my LP went from 10 days to 14! My cycle was 27 days instead of 22, which is just about normal! I have a new saliva microscope that I borrowed so I'm hopeful about this next cycle. Also I have an appt. with my OB on Wednesday to talk about my cycles and infertility (been 8 cycles since my miscarriage and I KNOW I'm ovulating and timing BD right)

Sleepy mom of two (DS-11, DD-8), & due 3/2015. 3 lost: 9/2004, 3/2005, 3/2013.  
#134 of 223 Old 04-18-2005, 01:24 PM

We are so excited! Can't wait for our family to be 4.
#135 of 223 Old 04-18-2005, 04:29 PM

Yay for the preggo ladies!!!
#136 of 223 Old 04-18-2005, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Sleepymama, sorry about the reboot, but yay for the long lp!
JennP, I'm sorry if I missed your success story, congrats! I put you under April, is that right? Hope you have an easy 9 months!

mama to my August boys ('03 & '06) trying to figure out what to do after 5 losses
#137 of 223 Old 04-18-2005, 11:30 PM

Can I join in? My name's Julie and I'm mom to Nicholas who will be a year old on May 14th. We've been trying to conceive #2 since he turned 9 months but haven't had much luck as I have yet to have a cycle. I've done some manipulating with my nursing that I think has helped to kickstart the return process but so far not much else. I've been drinking red raspberry leaf tea for about a month now, but I think I'm giong to officially graduate up to vitex, since it seems from what I've read here that it works for alot of you and it's safe while nursing. Here's my chart to date: my chart

Thanks!
#138 of 223 Old 04-19-2005, 04:49 PM

Hello Ladies! My ds is 31 months old and we're getting ready (read bd'ing tonight) to start trying. I am so excited. When we were having ds I didn't really know much about my cycles and we weren't anxious to get pg so we never really planned bd'ing -- it seems kinda weird. Anyway, I'm happy to join you ladies.
#139 of 223 Old 04-19-2005, 08:41 PM

Hi everyone,

I tested on April 14, and I got a !!! I was 12 dpo. We are very excited and hoping that it sticks . to all !

Natalie
#140 of 223 Old 04-19-2005, 08:51 PM

Zipworth: CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!! Did you do anything special to help you get pregnant?
#141 of 223 Old 04-19-2005, 09:31 PM

: YAY to the new s! :

and hello to the new mamas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobiemama
I guess I am ready. We want one more kid, and then thats it. I feel like it should be now before I get any older, before the other kids get any older, I really want to go to nursing school and eventually be a midwife... so I want to get on with it, then move on to the next chapter in my life.
I guess that is why I am scared, I cant imagine what will come after babies, I mean thats all I am good at, is having babies.
sigh..
Awww. Nonsense! I mean, I'm sure you're great at having babies and raising kids but it's not the only thing! Think about it, you didn't know you'd be good at having babies until you did it and it turned out you were good at it. What's to say that you won't be great at nursing school and midwifery? Follow your heart, you won't go wrong!

I officially ovulated!!! Unbelievable, really. After the weird o signs, the +OPKs, and now three high temps, I'm sure it was real. The strangest thing is that I'm sort of ambivalent about whether it worked... let me explain: We've been trying so long. When we started, the bar exam wasn't even in the near future; I was all about babies. Now, a due date if we caught this egg would be a month before my first opportunity to take the bar after graduating from law school. I had planned to put off the exam while I was raising babies. I was getting so discouraged with TTC that I had started to plan to take this exam thinking there was no way we'd have the chance to have a baby before it was offered. I was getting kind of excited to be DONE with law school and tests... BUT maybe I'm just telling myself all of this so I won't be too sad if this cycle doesn't work out. So many odds are stacked against us this time (illness, fevers, cold medicines drying me out at O, antibiotics now...), that I'm pretty cynical that it could have worked. We'll see, I guess. Of course, I will be out of my mind if it did work...

I'm 3 dpo. Let the waiting game begin...
#142 of 223 Old 04-19-2005, 10:00 PM

Yeah Natalie. Congrats on the BFP. vibes your way

Be, happy momma to Liberty (12-31-02), Henry (3-17-07) and Prudence (7-02-09)
#143 of 223 Old 04-19-2005, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Natalie, congrats! How come you waited so long to tell us, we were desperate for some more success stories this month!! I'm glad you're one of them, hope you have an easy ride.
Because, even though the chance might be small to have already conceived, I would say if you did consider still going for the bar. Maybe do most of the studying before due date, and then just give it your best shot. I'm in medicine, and just like law school that has a way of delaying everything else in life (relationship, house, kids) if you let it, of course, and I did, and there just never seems to be a 'right time' for kids. I'm glad I let things wait a bit, cause I never would have met dh, but still.. Anyways, I'm rambling, I know you're not delaying the kids part, but I mean next thing you know they're toddlers, and how easy will it be to take the bar then?

#144 of 223 Old 04-20-2005, 03:19 AM

5 DPO now.. *twiddles thumbs patiently* *sits on hands* *feels twitching*

GAAAAAH! : :LOL

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

#145 of 223 Old 04-20-2005, 01:16 PM

I'm a longtime lurker, and I've gotten many tips from this monthly thread to which I've subscribed...

so I just had to post that I got a three days ago at 12DPO. We're ecstatic, but definitely not telling anyone IRL, so I had to tell someone!

This is my 3rd cycle TTC, and my third cycle since DS was born. I went to an acupuncturist to start ovulating again, and it worked. Last month my LP was only 7 days, so I'm pretty shocked to be pregnant so quickly. I saw my acupuncturist 2x/month, took Vitex until O, took and am still taking B6. I hope this babe is . Baby dust to all, and thanks for all the advice and support from this thread over the last few months.

Now if I can just find a midwife to test my progesterone to see I'm still deficient...
#146 of 223 Old 04-20-2005, 03:07 PM

thanks for the welcome! So I started the vitex today. How long does it take to start seeing changes in your cycle? I've read somewhere around 90 days, but I'd be curious how it worked for those of you who are using it. Also, did any of you notice whether or not it affected your supply? I've read in a few places that it can lower supply so I'm just curious. TIA!

Julie
#147 of 223 Old 04-20-2005, 03:41 PM

I got my first postpartum AF about 6 weeks after starting to take vitex.
I didnt notice any change in milk supply or anything else.
#148 of 223 Old 04-20-2005, 03:56 PM

I got my first PPAF 3 weeks after starting vitex...my supply stayed the same.

Congrats for the April s!

Kelly with 4 DDs (8,6,4,4) and 1 DS (1)
#149 of 223 Old 04-20-2005, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabry
Because, even though the chance might be small to have already conceived, I would say if you did consider still going for the bar. Maybe do most of the studying before due date, and then just give it your best shot.
I hear you. The problem is that application fees and exam fees and everything far exceed $1000. I better be sure I'll pass before I fork out that kind of cash!

Hey, yvonnemlv, I'm 4 dpo! Are you going to test on a certain day or just wait it out? I haven't decided but I sure could use the voice of reason out there to make me wait at LEAST until 10 dpo.

Anyone else 4-5 dpo? We should have a support group.
#150 of 223 Old 04-20-2005, 10:08 PM

I am still here...mostly lurking I guess...

I feel a little disorganized compared to most of the mamas on this thread. We were very lucky with our first two (suprise and first try), so we haven't gotten into the temping/charting aspect. If it starts to take a while, we will get a little more serious about tracking things, but right now we're trying not to think about it too much. I've only had two PP cycles...we knew we missed it last month...but we are due to O this week. Have had a good chance of catching it...and still have another couple "high probability" days left. Have good fertility signs. I guess you can officially move me to 2ww. My birthday is next Friday...gosh a + would make an awesome B-day pressie.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page