Nursing Mamas Getting Pregnant in May - Page 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-31-2005, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Nichole, I'm so sorry :HUG

I'm seeing an RE for the first time next week, for repeated m/c (just 2) and IF. I had my progesterone tested and it was 4.5 at 5dpo, plus I have a short luteal phase. I will let you know what they tell me.

One thing--call your insurance company to see what they cover. The fertility center works under the diagnosis "infertility" and therefore my insurance covers absolutely nothing, no tests, procedures, nothing. And I have really good insurance otherwise--PPO. So if your regular doc can do some testing, etc. to get the ball rolling that can save some $$. Unfortunately I had to beg my regular OB just to do the prog. test so I decided not to fool around and went straight to the RE.

As for what I am taking:
4 vitex
3 EFAs
B-complex (1)
EPO (1)
I was using natural progesterone cream but we're taking time off now so I'm not this cycle
Nexium--for GERD
Trazodone 50mg & Cymbalta 20mg for PPD & PTSD

On the last 2--I just switched from zoloft (100mg) (wasn't working & made me gain 40lbs in 2 years) and tried both lexapro and wellbutrin in the space of a month. Both made me suicidal and made me feel like I was getting electric shock therapy. I've been on this new cocktail 6 days and already feel 100x better. But they are both pregnancy category C--cymbalta especially is so new there are no studies. My doc knows I want to conceive but I don't really have other options for meds that are safer--they don't work/make me crazy. So I am not sure what to do. That is why we are taking some time off until I get a fertility workup and decide about the meds.

I talked to my MW this weekend at the LLL conference and she didn't have any other advice besides what we've already talked about, esp. about the meds, but she wants to know what the RE recommends. At least clomid is pretty cheap, right? I hope it doesn't come to that.

Sleepy mom of two (DS-11, DD-8). 5 lost: 9/2004, 3/2005, 3/2013, 8/2014, ectopic loss @ 6 weeks 11/2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2005, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have no idea what my insurance covers, but I'm sure they cover something - will have to investigate. As for the clomid, I woudl only take it if there were real indications for it. It seems as though it is the first/only thing that some docs recommend for anything related to fertility problems and Vitex does the same thing. Clomid can cause ovarian cysts to form so they usually check you after a cycle of Clomid and it can have some not so fun side-effects as well. The hot flashes were horrible and I was 24 at the time!

beemama - have you read Fertility, Cycles and Nutrition? It talks in there about dosages and why they are labeled the way they are (%of RDA).

There are some real differences in prenatal vitamins so I would suggest you look into each one and what they include. The above book was very helpful with this. The prenatal vits I take are great, but apparently nothing has everything I need in it (do they make one with an anti-miscarriage vitamin).

I take the alfalfa for a couple of reasons. First, I started taking it for anemia and I cannot describe the difference it has made...amazing. It also helps with bleeding so during a m/c I up the dosage and again, that has really helped with the blood loss. A lot of hb mw's recommend it for all of their pg mama's since taking it greatly reduces the risk of too much bleeding after birth.

Congrats, HerthElde!

Nichole, mama to 6 blue-eyed babies, LCCE, doula, apprentice mw
Old 05-31-2005, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Nichole, thanks for the alfalfa tip! I have very heavy/clotty AF (related to my hormone imbalance--too much uterine lining buildup/not enough prog) and I will try that. I'm surprised my hb MW hadn't suggested it yet.

Yes, I know about the risks of clomid, that's why I hope it won't be necessary...for you either!! I have heard about those emotional side effects too. Just what I need on top of the PPD right??

Sleepy mom of two (DS-11, DD-8). 5 lost: 9/2004, 3/2005, 3/2013, 8/2014, ectopic loss @ 6 weeks 11/2014
Old 05-31-2005, 07:01 PM

Oh gosh, I take liquid and solids!

3 cups of raspberry leaf, nettles, clover blossom tea
3 tsp. of vitex 3X a day
3 homeopathic UNDA bottles 3X a day (as prescribed by the ND) to balance hormones

3 prenatals
6 alafala tabs.
1 EPO
1 C vit.
2 B complex

Thyroid meds

I'm starting to find it a bit much, but I keep thinking this is my last month of all this stuff . . .

Jessica wool.gif  DS 7  DD 4 homeschool.gif
Old 05-31-2005, 10:27 PM

Okay, so I just got back from a extended family related vacation from where I found out I was , but then it didn't stick. Well, I was due to AF the 26th and then on the 30th m/c, can I still try this month? I know some people wait, but since it was so early and this is the same thing that happened the month before I got pg with dd, I thought I would start the vitex and try again. I'm soooooooooo ready! LMk what y'all think.

Put me down for waiting to O I'm officially charting cm this month.

Birth Photographer mom to four blessings
Old 05-31-2005, 10:31 PM

s, mama....try again, pronto! Think I may have had a m/c this past month, too. Luckily I didn't get to see a bfp. There's another thread here somewhere on TTC about the very same thing. There's an increase in fertility the month following a m/c. Good luck!
Old 05-31-2005, 10:33 PM

here'tis
Old 05-31-2005, 10:55 PM

Thanks so much! Again, I think that i had a m/c the month before I got pg with my dd, so maybe you are more fertile...I'm hoping!

Also, congrats to all the sticky mama's!!!!! :

So sorry to hear your bad news Nicole

What's the best way to take vitex? I have the liquid and it doesn't affect nursing right?

Birth Photographer mom to four blessings
Old 06-01-2005, 09:18 AM

Vitex is supposed to increase your milk- though that's not true for everyone, but it shouldn't be a problem with nursing.

I am taking-
1 Prenatal
1 B 100 complex
6 Vitex

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
Old 06-01-2005, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jentilla

What's the best way to take vitex? I have the liquid and it doesn't affect nursing right?
Jentilla: No it does not. It acts on the pituitary gland helping to balance the cascade of hormones throughout the endocrine system. So it will either increase or decrease prolactin as your body needs. AS you are ttc, it will decrease prolactin, but you will of course still have milk. The first month I used it my breast size decreased to their prepregnancy size I simply just had way toooooooo much prolactin. My ppaf returned 10 days after using it.

It was recommend to me by a herbalist to take the liquid under the tongue 3X a day. First upon rising, mid-day and before bed. Put it in a little hot water to evaporate the alcohol. The babyzone.com recommends 1tsp. dosages.

HTH

Jessica wool.gif  DS 7  DD 4 homeschool.gif
Old 06-02-2005, 08:32 AM

We've been nuts here. Selling our house has been a whirlwind so far, we already have an offer that we've excepted. We should sign the p & s next week. Dh starts a new job the week after. All the stress pushed my O day out. I had been Oing on around CD 17, this cycle it didn't happen until cd 21.

Now we have to go look at houses and figure out where we're going to live in 6 weeks I would gladly take the thread for the month except my computer access is going to be spotty at best.

Be, happy momma to Liberty (12-31-02), Henry (3-17-07) and Prudence (7-02-09)

User Tag List