1 week late for my period...but not pregnant! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 05-15-2005, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am really frustrated and sad. My husband and I are trying to have a second baby. I keep track of my cycles and have been really regular for the past 6 months with my period. I thought for sure I was going to be pregnant this time but as I got to the weekend of my period, I took a pregnancy test and it was negative. BUT I did not get my period. It is 1 week overdue today and still nothing. I took a couple more tests(yes I am a freak :LOL ) because I thought it was just too early before or it was a false reading somehow. I even took 1 this morning. But nothing. Now I am starting to worry that something might be wrong with me. I am not making this any easier on myself. Ever have those moments when it feels like everyone else around you is pregnant...but your not? I know its just cause you notice it more. But that is what I feel like lately. I feel like I am not stressing myself out, but then other times I feel like its on my mind a lot. Other than to tell me, to just relax.(which is sooooo easier said then done ) Anyone have any suggestions or maybe this has happened to them??

Thanks!
Wendy
#2 of 13 Old 05-16-2005, 01:26 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
I am moving this to TTC - you will get a bunch more answers there and you ARE ttc! :LOL

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#3 of 13 Old 05-16-2005, 11:39 AM

when i was pregnant with my ds the first test was negative.....and that was a few days after AF was due....i then waited another week and a half before i tested again, and it was positive, so, you may want to try and wait a few more days and test again.......

Karinlady.gif - breastfeeding fbbf.gif, cloth diapering: cd.gif, cosleeping ;familybed2.gif, homeschooling homeschool.gif, babywearing femalesling.GIF!, AP Mama to Martin, Ivy Rose, Patrick and Neva , wife to Kevinjammin.gif

#4 of 13 Old 05-16-2005, 05:02 PM

I am in the exact same boat as you! I have been charting for 6 months with regular cycles, and am now more than a week late, with negative tests. I have taken three so far, with the last being three days ago. I'm really getting frustrated not knowing what's happening with my body. Currently I'm on CD38 (!). I may have ovulated late without knowing, though, since my charting doesn't include temping at this point. Let's keep each other updated, and hope for the best.
#5 of 13 Old 05-17-2005, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter

I got told that same thing today too from a friend who is a nurse practitioner that teaches charting and NFP. (that I might have ovulated later) Which makes no sense to me why I am having such late ovulations since my dd is only nursing once in the morning now. I would think that my cycles would be getting more regular again, as they have been the last 5-6 months. But if I did ovulate late, then darn it, if I missed the opportunity!!! I think I am going to start using the temp. in addition and my friend gave me a saliva fertility monitor because it worked for her with her 2 pregnancies.(any try one of those before?) I am going to wait another week and see what happens. I also might try another test later. At least if I got my period, I would know. I hate the thought that it might be something else. I only have 1 ovary because I had a cyst removed when I was 15 years old. The drs always say that it will not be a problem with getting pregnant and it wasn't for my first. But I am really protective with the care of my one and only. If something is wrong, I want to handle it right away before it would lead to removing the 2nd ovary. So hence my additional reason for being on edge.
Keep me posted!!
#6 of 13 Old 05-17-2005, 03:56 PM

I tested again this morning, and got another BFN.

The thing is, I really feel pregnant. My breasts are super sore, I'm nauseated and I am very aware of my uterus all day long. I am really resenting not knowing what's going on with my body. I totally agree with your statement "At least if I got my period, I would know."

I'll keep you updated. Have you got any news yet?
#7 of 13 Old 05-17-2005, 08:54 PM

I've been waiting a long time to have a baby so this would drive me nuts and I would go beg my doctor or ob for a quantitative blood test (also known as a "beta"). Those are far more sensitive than home tests. Anything above 5 (of whatever unit they measure the pregnancy hormone HCG by) counts as positive, whereas most home test will only turn at 25 or even 50.

Charting sounds like a good move in the future to know when you ovulate so if you dont get your period in due time or a positive test, you know you need to figure out what's going on.

Good luck to both

M
#8 of 13 Old 05-17-2005, 11:06 PM

I have a friend who's pregnancy didn't register on HPTs for quite a long time (several weeks), so she figured her absent period was due to starting marathon training. A doctor's test after other symptoms developed revealed it was no marathon but her son! So I'm not sure I thoroughly trust HPTs. Perhaps a visit to your women's health practitioner would help clarify what's going on.

Carol
#9 of 13 Old 05-19-2005, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all so much for replying and giving me suggestions.
I took another hpt and it was negative. I am so sad. I still haven't gotten my period and I did contact my drs office on Monday and I asked her about taking a blood test and she said to wait another week and that it was probably a late ovulation because the hpt is pretty accurate. But like others have posted here and I have read elsewhere, hpt doesn't always work. I am so confused! I told myself if after this weekend, I don't get my period with a late ovulation, I am going to demand a blood test. (otherwise I need to get checked out with the dr for other things, I can't risk my other ovary- not to sound freakishly paranoid, but I would be devestated if I couldn't have at least 1 more child of my own) Besides I feel pregnant too- I mean I have heartburn on and off and with dd, I had the same feelings. I have a couple of other things that make me think I am too, like food cravings. Maybe its too early for that. Maybe its all in my head because I want it so badly. My dh thinks its in my head, which he could be right.
The saga continues........
#10 of 13 Old 05-19-2005, 10:48 PM

Sorry about the latest negative result. It'd be nice to know for sure one way or the other so you can move out of limbo. Hopefully very soon you will know something.

Last month was the first month we TTC #2 and I had all sorts of symptoms but no pregnancy. Now this month I'm feeling the same thing again. I haven't told DH because I feel so embarrassed about being "sure" I was pregnant last month. I even met with a couple of midwives. : But it doesn't make me feel the feelings any less! So I totally understand your questions (or your DH's questions, rather) about whether it's all in your head. It's hard doing this waiting, guessing, hoping game and I've only been at it for a few weeks. Not to mention that when I fixate on every sensation in my uterus, I tend to notice a whole lot more sensations there than I am sure I normally would!

Best wishes,

Carol
#11 of 13 Old 05-21-2005, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Good and bad news. I got my period. 2 weeks late! GRRRRR So that means I am not pregnant of course. But the good news is then something probably is not wrong and I just ovulated late for some odd reason. : I think I am going to try doing temperature this month too. I don't want to miss my ovulation time again. I am so impatient. Thanks for the support. Any news with you intuition??
#12 of 13 Old 05-26-2005, 03:19 PM

Though frustrating, it's totally normal to have an occasional cycle where you ovulate late. It happens to just about everyone at some time or another, so it's nothing to worry about.

Temping will be great for alleviating this concern, as it will tell you once you have ovulated. BUT, it will not tell you when you're going to ovulate. You'll need other tools for that. The cheapest and easiest is just to monitor your cervical fluid. You need to buy nothing, and just need to know what to look for. You can also use a saliva microscope, OPK tests or fertility monitor, but those all cost money and are not any more accurate than monitoring cervical fluid for the vast majority of women.

For great info on temping and cervical fluid monitoring, I don't think you can beat the book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility". I got it at my library.
#13 of 13 Old 05-29-2005, 04:05 AM

I'm glad you figured out what the deal was! I am in a similar boat as you were before. I took a HPT and it was BFN... actually I took 3 during this cycle, but only one was late enough so it would have actually shown if I was pregnant. I'm on day 40 of my cycleright now. (25dpo I think) Nothing. I called my OBGYN and am going in for a blood test if AF doesn't show by Wednesday. Honestly, I can relate to your saying it's "good news and bad news" that AF showed. At least you know what is going on with your body! I am charting my temps and I am pretty sure I ovulated on day 15... so that's not the reason... hmmm...
I wasn't exactly regular before (had surgery for an ectopic in March)... but I really want to know what is going on! While AF would be the less preferred answer to that question, I'd rather start my period than find out something is terribly wrong.
Here's wishing you a good cycle next month!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page