Soy & TTC....Please? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 06-17-2005, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
O Wise Ones,

I need some info about the effects on soy on TTC. I did a search, and got very conflicting results. I have cut soy almost completely out of my diet because I was under the impression it was bad for TTC. But now I've read that it might be helpful.

This information is particularly pertinent because I am doing LA Weightloss which relies heavily on soy snacks to stimulate weight loss and suppress appetite. So far I have avoided the snacks because I thought they were bad for TTC, but I know my weightloss would be a great deal better if I could eat it.

So, please help me out here. Resources to further my research would be great as well. TIA!!
#2 of 16 Old 06-17-2005, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

anyone?
#3 of 16 Old 06-17-2005, 08:07 PM

I've also heard a lot of conflicting info so I'm no help.

Some swear that once they cut out soooy... they got PG.

I wondered if it's how your particular body acts.

Did I once read that if you were PCOS you should not consume soy?

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#4 of 16 Old 06-17-2005, 08:19 PM

Soy increases estrogen I believe, so you wouldnt want it in the luteul phase? Im just going off the top of my head, but you dont want high estrogen in the second half, in the first have it helps with fertile CM..hmmm off to research a little

Catherine
#5 of 16 Old 06-18-2005, 03:17 AM

I haven't read the bad stuff, just that soy isoflavones can help you ovulate. Here's a mege-thread about it on a PCOS board:
http://www.soulcysters.net/showthread.php?t=7981
The original poster explained how soy can help:
"The phytoestrogens in soy are though to act in a manner similar to that of drugs like clomid. In other words, clomid (and the phytoestrogens in soy) have anti-estrogen like properties. They fool your body into thinking that your estrogen levels are low. This causes a release of FSH and LH which helps to stimulate follicle production."
When I was researching this, I think that the reasoning for it working was that the phytoestrogens are so chemically similar to estrogen that they will be accepted on estrogen receptor sites in our body. So not as much of our own estrogen is processed, and it makes our bodies think that estrogen levels are low.
I tried this last month in the middle of an anovulatory cycles with constant spotting, and while it didn't make me ovulate, it did stop the bleeding and give me great CM. I took 2 40?(mg) pills a day. You'll have to research for yourself, though, and maybe you don't have any ovulation problems anyway!
Janine
#6 of 16 Old 06-18-2005, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your responses. I did quite a bit of research last night. Basically, for every place I found that soy was good, I found one that said it was bad. I also found a couple that said it didn't make any difference. And really, I didn't find anything that I found compelling; a study on rats, one on monkeys, and a bunch of anecdotal evidence. One thing that did seem significant to me is that in countries where soy is a major component of diet, birth rates are not any lower than coountries where soy is not a staple.

The bottom line for me at this time: the most important thing I can do for my health right now is lose some weight, and soy can help with that. Unless I find something compelling that says to stay away from soy, I'm gonna eat it.

Thank you all for your responses.
#7 of 16 Old 06-19-2005, 03:33 AM

Hi There,
I hope some more people post answers to this and I thank you for asking the question! We Are vegetarians and one of the major components of our diet is soy. I glimpsed at someone mentioning avoiding soy and i couldn't figure out why. I do have a short luteal phase (among other problems!) and I'm already taking progesterone in the second half of my cycle to help it and wonder specifically when I should be avoiding soy if that causes luteal phse problems.

Inquiring ovaries need to know........
#8 of 16 Old 06-19-2005, 05:33 AM

Just saw this on the main MDC page so am dropping in to respond.

I was a fertility patient (clomid) for my first child. I had become a vegan for the first six months I was trying to conceive (in an effort to improve my health), then just a vegetarian, and was heavily dependent on soy during that time. I especially drank a great deal of soy milk, which is now known to throw off menstrual cycles for up to several months after ceasing consumption. And it certainly did that for me. I am now convinced that the biggest thing I did to impede my fertility was overconsume soy. I was charting at the time, and had a luteal phase defect.

I gave up soy when it was discovered that I had a huge growth on my thyroid (palpable---feels like a goose-egg and is quite visible now). The growth was a benign goiter, and although the doctor who biopsied it wouldn't speculate, I can only conclude that I brought it about by my soy consumption. It stopped growing when I stopped consuming soy. Around the same time I began clomid, miscarried my first pregnancy with it, then conceived and sustained the pregnancy four months later.

Four years later, after never going back to soy consumption, I conceived my son on the first try. And I'm 38. I was waiting for my name to come up on the fertility treatment wait list at the time, and it shocked the hell out of me. Oh, and by the way, I had remained a vegetarian.
#9 of 16 Old 06-19-2005, 10:53 AM

I gave up soy while ttc because I too had heard conflicting reports. I have a low thyroid and had heard the soy was really bad for that.
I also had really bad pms and becuase of the estrogen factor I chose to stay away from it.
I drank rice milk instead.
Apparently soy is in everything and I found that out while reading ingredients. it's in bread, it's in salad dressing. It's pretty much in anything that has oil because it's cheap to use in bulk.
Anyway, I cut it out of my diet and now, at 43, I am pregnant. Mind you, it wasn't simply cutting soy out of my diet. I did many dietary changes but that was just one of them.
#10 of 16 Old 06-22-2005, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Less than a few hours ago. It says that ingesting soy around O time messes up the sperm and makes them go through a biochemical reaction before they reach the egg, so that they have more difficulty fertilizing the egg by the time they get to it.

here it is the LINK

HTH
#11 of 16 Old 05-03-2007, 03:49 PM

Soy Isoflavones are only a good during TTC if taken at certain times in the cycle. It is a natural alternative to Clomid. You can buy them in pill form at Walmart for about $6 (Spring Valley brand). This cycle I'm taking 120mg from day 3-7 just like if I were taking Clomid. You can also take it from days 5-9. I've heard that days 3-7 give you more follicles, but days 5-9 give you bigger follicles. Large amounts of soy throughout your cycle can mess up your cycle.
#12 of 16 Old 05-03-2007, 03:59 PM

Yikes! I never heard soy was bad for thyroid... or tcc!!:

I eat tofu nearly every other day, and lots of other soy-based products. I never even thought of cutting back.

Thanks for asking and thanks for the thoughtful replies. It sounds rather inconclusive, though. Maybe i need to cut back...

But I love tofu.

Mama and co-parent to our beautiful DS (08/08) and our mighty strong DD (04/10) . Life is good.
#13 of 16 Old 05-03-2007, 04:37 PM

My sister and I are both vegetarians also, and of course eat a ton of soy. My sister got pregnant her first cycle trying, and we got pregnant our third cycle trying. I also have read conflicting research, I just wanted to share a positive experience eating soy.

Andrea...wife, SAHM to 3.5 yo DS and 1 yo DD.

#14 of 16 Old 05-03-2007, 04:52 PM

Quote:
My sister and I are both vegetarians also, and of course eat a ton of soy. My sister got pregnant her first cycle trying, and we got pregnant our third cycle trying. I also have read conflicting research, I just wanted to share a positive experience eating soy.
That is what I thought..My sister is a strict vegetarian and eats soy all the time she also had endometriosis (sp??) and got off her meds before trying to conceive she conceived the first month her and hubby started trying.

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#15 of 16 Old 05-03-2007, 11:58 PM

I was avoiding soy for a long time because of the phytoestrogens and the possibility that they can mess with your hormones. I am currently rethinking that because as a nursing mama my estrogen is slightly low. (I had some blood work done) This low estrogen is common while breastfeeding. So I added soy back in, in moderation, to see if it would help bring on ppaf. I have not seen af yet, ds is 23 months.
Anyone heard of success using it for this?
#16 of 16 Old 05-04-2007, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyZymurgy View Post
Yikes! I never heard soy was bad for thyroid... or tcc!!:

I eat tofu nearly every other day, and lots of other soy-based products. I never even thought of cutting back.

Thanks for asking and thanks for the thoughtful replies. It sounds rather inconclusive, though. Maybe i need to cut back...

But I love tofu.
Yep, soy is very bad for people with hypothyrodism.
DS has CH, when I was researching, I found out about a study that showed babies on soy formula needed an increase of 25% in the their hormone replacement medication, than babies fed dairy formulas.
Apparently proteins bind the hormone and cause it to not be absorbed, and soy proteins are particularly bad.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page