Pre-pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-21-2005, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Everyone! I recently learned about MotheringDotCommune through a friend so thought I would register and give it a try. My name is Monica, I am 28 years old. My husband and I hope to start our family in about 3 months. I am looking for advice on how to prep your body for pregnancy. I have heard of detox programs and weight management programs. The book stores have millions of books to pick from so I thought I would cheat and start here. I am not overweight, but genetically predisposed to obesity. I exercise regularly, watch my diet (most of the time) and am very conscious of my weight. I just wanted to see what others have done and if anyone has really good advice or neat ideas to try.
Sorry, it might take me awhile to learn the acronyms!
Thanks and I am looking forward to learning from you!
Monica
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 07-21-2005, 01:33 PM

Hi and welcome! THis is a great community.

I don't have a lot of advice for you as I am here for the same thing. Going to be TTC in a few months as well. Hope everything goes well for you and you get a lot of answers.
#3 of 6 Old 07-22-2005, 02:37 PM

:
#4 of 6 Old 07-26-2005, 08:02 PM

Welcome, Monica. Start a prenatal vitamin if you haven't done so yet. We should have enough folic acid several months before we try to get p.g. Same thing for high-quality protein. Apparently, it's almost more important to eat good protein 3 mths or so before conception than it is during pregnancy, of course, you should still eat enough & good protein then. Light exercise. I let my abs/belly go before/during 2 pregnancies, and paid the price. If your abs are weak before pregnancy, you may hold on to post-pregnancy belly fat longer and more viciously than if you start off in good shape. Obviously, no smoke, drugs, or alc. Actually, I was told today that it's OK to have a little alcohol before implantation (a few days after conception), but no one knows of any safely established limits or timeframe.
Good luck!
#5 of 6 Old 07-30-2005, 12:23 AM

Hi - a few thoughts --

1. Get to whatever prepregnancy weight is good for you - not too low, not overweight. Eat as if you are pregnant now, lots of greens, protein, whole grains. Start prenatals or take an excellent vitamin plus a folic acid supplement and calcium supplement.

2. Read Take Charge of Your Fertility - a terrific book, lots of info on cycles, conception, etc.

3. If you are using any hormonal birth control, stop now and switch to barrier methods (diaphragm, condom, etc.). It takes about 3 mo to get the hormones out of your system.

4. Start charting basal temps and cervical fluid. Start watching the changes in your body as you go through your cycles. And start having more frequent sex (fun!)

5. Consider getting a pre-pregnancy physical. Are all of your vaccinations current (if you support vaccinating)? You should consider getting a blood test as well.

Good luck! Most of all, enjoy trying!
#6 of 6 Old 07-30-2005, 04:41 AM

I think the best advice is, pretend you are already pregnant! Take a prenatal vitamin, eat a wide variety of whole, organic foods (easy this time of year, with all those gorgeous fruits and veggies overflowing the bins in the produce section of the grocery), excercise moderately, drink plenty of water, and get your rest. I don't think you need to do anything drastic if you're already eating well and in good health (and it definitely sounds like you are).

We're just about to start TTCing, too, and I'm trying something new this time. I get incredibly sick during early pregnancy, and even if you don't get MS, almost everyone is exhausted in the early months. So at least 4 nights a week, I cook double for dinner. We have the luxury of a deep freeze that makes this easy, but it could work with a regular freezer on a smaller scale. I freeze those meals in individual serving sizes and this will save us from having to eat DH's cooking when I am just too sick to cook. I'll do it again in the third tri, so we'll have plenty of good home-cooked food to eat after the new baby comes.

And as the PP said, definitely pick up a copy of TCOYF. If you chart your cycles between now and when you start TTCing, you'll be three steps ahead already.

Good luck! Every pregnancy/birth/baby is extraordinary, but there's something so special about the first experience. Enjoy!

computergeek2.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page