Chlomiphine question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-25-2002, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi- it has been a while since I have been on these boards, so I will try to summarize a long history. Two years ago, my son was born (we got pregnant on first try) 6 weeks early for reasons unknown (I also ended up having retained placenta, but that is somewhat irrelevant). 10 months later, we got pregnant without trying (I was breastfeeding). At 13 weeks and after ALOT of spotting, we had a miscarriage and I was found to have a septum (probably why son was early). We went for a SHG and it was determined that the septum was small, and that we should "just try again." So we did, and had another miscarriage. (early). I had the septum removed and we got pregnant again once cleared. We miscarried again (early). I have had a ton of bloodwork, and dh has had chromosomes tested. I have also had sonohystograms (x2) and a hystosalpinogram (Sorry for the spelling). All tests except progesterone are normal. As of today, the MD (we were going to an MD, and then a midwife, and now we are with an OB/GYN who specializes in high risk pregnancy)feels that my progesterone levels are borderline to normal and wants to start me on Chlomiphine. Will this help progesterone levels? I have no problems ovulating. I am considering looking into a wild pam progesterone cream-- does anyone know about that? One more miscarriage could break me, but I am also really anxious to have another baby (Or babies:-) Any wisdom would be GREAT. Thank you.
#2 of 4 Old 11-25-2002, 11:21 PM

Hi There - Yes, Clomid can be used to increase progesterone during your luteal phase, and is often used to lengthen the luteal phase if it's too short. It actually works my making your eggs "better", whatever that means, and so when you O the corpus luteum left behind also secretes progesterone "better". Wish I had the gory details behind how that works, but I'm clueless to the mechanism. Hope that helps. And good luck to you!

Kelly

Mommy to girls twins.gif 9/2005, our angel babies stillheart.gif 2004 and stillheart.gif 2005, and our intact, ebf superhero.gif4/29/2010.

#3 of 4 Old 11-26-2002, 12:38 AM

Were your hormones checked at a certain point in your cycle? That makes a huge difference in the readings. If you are uncomfortable with your doc's advice, go find another opinion! Go see a reproductive endocrinologist to help you get pregnant, then your perinatologist or OB after you get pregnant.
Wild Yam does not contain progesterone, but rather diosgenin, which in the laboratory (but supposedly not in the human body) can be converted into "natural" progesterone.
#4 of 4 Old 11-26-2002, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the info! Last month, I took my temp each morning, plus had a progesterone test done 6 days post O. My number was "15." My doctor then used the blood work in tandem with the temp chart. I am just hoping that, if my progesterone levels are on the low end, the Chlomiphine will help to keep the numbers elevated into the first trimester. We are working on a list of questions that we are going to give to the doc. Send me energy please! (and any other wisom that you have to offer!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page