Massage as an aid to fertility - My experience - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-02-2002, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Arvigo Massage

This is an ancient technique used by the Mayans which is now being reclaimed. It was recommended to me by my Reiki Master who tends to keep very current with these types of holistic tecniques and therapies. Now Admittedly I am a firm beleiver in massage for health - if I wasnt' I certainly would be making it my career. In any case Below is some information from the website about what it is, it's benefits and what symptoms may make you a candidate for it. The website is linked above and there you can find a list of Massage therapists by state and country.

I had this done yesterday - the treatment consists of three sessions and my session lasted nearly 2 hours and was only $70.00 - to me a small price for the possibility of my fertility being returned to me. In any case, I have always known that I had a tipped uterus, docs have been tellign me that essentially since I started having a menses becuase of the severe pain I have always had with my cycles (800mg Motrin by the age of 12, more recently 2 750mg Vicodin every 2 hours). What I didnt' knwo was how severe my problem was. My uterus tilted to the right and was retroflexed which means that not only was it tipped backward but it had a fold in it where it tilted to the right. Now you might be asking how she could tell that just with massage. That answer is simpler than you might think... Palpations, like the ones the doctors do in early PG to determine uterine size and placement. with a littel bit of massage in this technique (ok 2 hours is not a little) I literally could feel where my uterus was and that it wasn't "kinked" I felt her remove the fold in it and how it was moved into the correct upright (not tilted) position. Once she completed these movements she did sacral work on my back. Here she felt the fall down the flight of stairs when I was 22 that fractured my tailbone in 4 places and caused my coccyx to be permanently displaced (it is shifted in and to the left) the uterus tends to tilt when thins like this happen becuse of the ligaments connecting it to the spinal columnwhen she did the sacral work to help loosen those ligaments to keep them from pulling my uterus teh wrong way I literally felt my uterus drop back into it's intended alignment. The result (whether my fertility returns or not) is that I feel more centered and I am also feelign much more in balance with myself and my emotions. And lets face it - a massage never killed anyone! My therapist was surprised that I didnt' have endometriosis given the degree of retroversion and the flex. She says that women with Endo tend to get what their doctors have told them is impossible - a successful PG within 1-3 months of completeing the treatment. One woman she shared with me (that a colleague had treated) had gone through several LAP's with no success over the years - once the treatment was completed she was PG within a month and successfully birthed, she has had no problems since then. I have highlighted the symtoms that I have had inthe text so you know what info I went in with.

Quote:
Definition and History
The Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Massage TM are practiced and taught by Dr. Rosita Arvigo, D.N. Dr. Arvigo learned these techniques from her mentor, Don Elijio Panti, the great Maya Shaman of Belize, Central America with whom she apprenticed for ten years. Don Elijio passed away in 1996 at the age of 103. Rosita also studied with Hortence Robinson, a 73 year old herbal midwife of Belize who has been delivering babies since she was 13. Rosita has spent the last thirty years studying and teaching Maya medicine. Maya Abdominal Massage is an integral component of Maya medicine.

The Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Massage address position and health of the pelvic and abdominal organs. The work is best known for the correction of the prolapsed, fallen, or tilted uterus and for the prevention and treatment of benign prostate enlargement in men.

Don Elijio believed that a woman's center is her uterus. "If a woman's uterus is out of balance, so is she," he would say. Midwives and healers of Central America agree that most female troubles are caused by the wandering womb. Normally the uterus leans slightly over the bladder in the center of the pelvis, about one and a half inches above the pubic bone. It is held in this position by muscles, the vaginal wall and ligaments that attach it to the back, front, and sides of the pelvis. Uterine ligaments are made to stretch to accommodate a growing fetus inside and to move freely when the bladder or bowel is full. The ligaments and muscles can weaken and loosen, causing the uterus to fall downward, forward, backward or to either side. A uterus in any of these positions is called tilted or prolapsed. Modern medicine has little or nothing to offer women with this problem. Generally they are told, "your uterus is tipped, but that is normal and don't worry about it." Yet women have a laundry list of physical and emotional symptoms that can be addressed and prevented with these simple, noninvasive massage techniques.

When reproductive organs shift, they can constrict normal flow of blood and lymph, and disrupt nerve connections. Just a few extra ounces sitting on blood and lymph vessels can cause havoc throughout the different systems in the body. By shifting the uterus back into place, homeostasis, or the natural balance of the body, is restored in the pelvic area and the surrounding organs. Toxins are flushed and nutrients that help to tone tissue and balance hormones are restored to normal order. This is essential for healthy pregnancy, labor, and delivery. Old adhesions from invasive treatments to the pelvic and abdominal area, including fibroid tumors, endometriosis, and cesarean delivery are diminished when addressed by uterine massage. In addition, digestion, urinary and bladder problems can be helped. This type of massage is also helpful in increasing blood flow to the pelvic region for men.

Benefits for Women
Untold numbers of hysterectomies and Caesarian births could be prevented with this simple, safe, easy to learn massage technique. Women who have had hysterectomies benefit greatly from Maya Abdominal Massage as well. The technique improves circulation in and around the area of the scar and allows for proper flow of the lymph, which often becomes blocked after surgery, resulting in swelling, burning and deep aching pains in the pelvis. When done properly, external massage strengthens the ligaments and muscles that support the uterus and ovaries. Depending on the severity of the problem, it may take a few minutes or a few months for the uterus to slide back into place and stay there. In some women the damage to the ligaments has been so severe that correction by this method is no longer possible.

Benefits for Men
Men benefit greatly from Maya Abdominal Massage techniques as well. By ensuring a full blood supply to the prostate, the abdominal massage helps to prevent swelling and inflammation. Men report that they can feel a distinct difference in blood flow after a treatment. Not only does the massage relieve prostate swelling, but it helps alleviate varicose veins, premature ejaculation, some impotency problems and the need to urinate frequently.

Other Benefits for both Men and Women
The upper abdomen is also given a deep, thorough massage to loosen the tight muscles around the stomach and the arteries that feed the digestive and eliminative organs with their vital blood supply. Those with chronic stomach problems are helped with these massage techniques.

Causes of the Wandering Womb
1. Falls that had an impact on the lower back
2. Car accidents
3. Ligaments weakened due to overstretching during pregnancy and labor
4. Bad professional care during pregnancy, labor and delivery and afterward
5. Carrying heavy burdens during the period, pregnancy, or too soon after delivery
6. Running on cement surfaces
7. Chronic constipation
8. High-impact dancing, aerobics, horseback riding, gymnastics or other sports activity
9. Pressure from above caused by sagging intestines
10. Weak pelvic floor muscles
11. Surgeries
12. Time and gravity

Symptoms and Signs of the Wandering Womb
Whether the uterus falls backward, forward, downward or to the sides, the signs and symptoms can be the same. They can be:
• Painful or irregular periods
• Dark thick fluids at the beginning and end of the period
• Blood clots
• No menstruation at all
• Headaches, especially with the period
• Dizziness with the period
• Varicose veins
• Tired legs, numb feet or sore heals
• Lower back ache
• Infertility

• Endometriosis
• Endometritis
• Uterine Polyps
• Painful intercourse
• PMS
• Uterine infections
• Frequent urination
• Ovarian cysts
• Vaginitis
• Hormonal imbalances
• Difficult pregnancy and delivery

• Weak newborn infants
• Premature deliveries
• Difficult menopause
• Cancer of the cervix, uterus, colon or bladder
I wanted to share this with all of you becuase it does feel better now, I know that it is working, I can feel it. And one thing about Holistic therapies is this.... Even if they don't work, the worst that can happen is no change at all, it hasn't hurt you in any way.

Blessings and Light to everyone!
#2 of 9 Old 12-02-2002, 01:04 PM

Thank you Mommy Storm Raven - that is very very interesting! Great post....
#3 of 9 Old 12-02-2002, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! I am really trying to incorporate holisitic modalities into my life and this whole journey 0- Luckily my RE is ok with that he thinks it will help me too. I'm taking clomid to regulate my ovulation now adn all other tests are normal but for a very MILD case of PCOS (mild enough for it not to be a huge problem - I still Ovulate at least!).

THis modality is really great and I was so impressed with it that I had to share it!
#4 of 9 Old 12-02-2002, 07:38 PM

This looks very interested, and I would like to find out if anyone in my area does this massage. I know that I have a tipped cervix, but have also been experiencing endo symptoms for about 8 months. I went to acupuncture for 3 months, which helped, but at the same time, my cycles became anovulatory. I've had to take a break from it all these past 6 weeks or so because it has been so emotional draining to live constantly with a weak and betraying body.

Thanks for your story and the information.
#5 of 9 Old 12-08-2002, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

After my massage and a long annovulatory cycle despite 50mg clomid and glucophage I finally ovulated after my massage! Yet another testament ot the power of this therapy. Even my RE was surprised when he saw that I had actually busted a follie after u/s monitoring on the clomid with no ovulation signs at all prior to CD20.

So I can say taht what I thought was good is even better!
#6 of 9 Old 12-10-2002, 03:55 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Congratulations!

Is glucophage also used for ovulation? I didn't realize that, but I don't know much about it.
#7 of 9 Old 12-10-2002, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, Amy it is in women with PCOS. It helps to break the cycle of overproducing estrogen which supresses ovulation if there is too much of it. It's a nasty cycle, you eat which causes and inulin release which causes you to produce more estrogen to store the fat wich leasde to more estrogen. Glucophage blocks the insulin receptors in part keeping it from processing through the bloodstream which inhibits overproductin of estrogen. It is a diabetic drug but most women with PCOS have Insulin resistance along with PCOS so glucophage is used to treat that.
#8 of 9 Old 12-10-2002, 01:12 PM

Mommy Storm Raven

I am new here, just looking around. I found your post interesting about this massage. I too have PCOS, but I don't think it is mild. I stopped taking any medications including glucophage over a year ago. I think I have given up on having my own child. We are in the process of adopting a foster baby.

I am now searching out holistic things to do to help with my PCOS and my fertility. I do not ovulate unless I use alot of CLomid with glucophage.

So your info is inspiring and I will be searching for someone who can do this type of massage.

Good luck to you!

Shannon
#9 of 9 Old 12-10-2002, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Shannon - the page is linked inteh original post - you can go there and find a practicioner in your area!

Good Luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page