40+ and TTC September, come on over!! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 659 Old 09-14-2005, 11:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I came her tonight to read I was very surprised to see my post from last night. I kept trying to post and getting a message that the website was not responding. Then I couldnt get back here at all.

Anyway- Lisa- sorry about those dern cramps! Do you take anything for it? I think going back to sleep with a little one sniggled up will cure just about anything.
You know- Im not so sure I missed o. I still have ewcm (a little more this morning) and I felt ovulation-ish. My temps are still low. Im going to test tonight (so what else is new.....)
I also use clearplan easy for exactly the same reason. The results seem to be the clearest. This is the first time Ive ever had trouble figuring out what was going on with it. I had a darker line this week, but not as dark as the control line. Now that line is gone- but no o. I have used Answer and First response and I also thought it was always pos. Im cd 22 (I think) and just wating, waiting.....
Im going to look for your opk thread.......
And I just LOVE it that you are doing all those pre-preg chores now...just in case! Gimme some of those positive vibes!
Gardening...ok- this is my first ever garden and its growing so well its scaring me. Im only growing tomatoes (which have climbed to the second floor of my house), basil, oregano (which is also taking over), red peppers, and oodles of multi-colored inpatience(spelling???). Everything is growing so well, I think, because I drowned the lil suckers in miracle grow in May and June. My flowers look to me to be unnaturally huge! Even other people have asked me what in the world have I been feeding my plants? Its a nice sunny spot in front of my front window.
I have always wanted to make sun-dried tomatoes- and now I know how! Thank you!

Hopeful- did you really conceive on Femara? What exactly does it do???
And I had not heard about the 9 kids in the cages. The news is so awful here. I couldnt watch it tonight. A 19 yo girl threw her newborn out of an apt window into a garbage heap- there the police found another dumped newborn. That story had an awful effect on me. I felt literally sick inside.

Cheese- I also hope sept is the month for you- I think we can just never know. You cant imagine how surprised I was when I had conceived my last dd. I had literally GIVEN UP. I had to think back to when I ovulated or bd. To this day I still dont know. It was an act of God.

Velvet- oh, YUM on that sweet pear! Let me think about a simple recipe-
For those of you that eat salmon- here an easy one for a quickie dinner:

Mince alot of garlic (we eat tons of garlic) and sautee
add 1 or two large cans of crushed or diced tomatoes (you can use fresh tomatoes- it will just have to cook longer)
add 3 or 4 slices of fillet salmon
cover and simmer for 1/2 hour or so (depending on the thickness of the salmon)
I sometimes add slices of ginger to the sautee garlic
The fish comes out so delicious and the sauce is great over brown rice

OK- Im testing in 5 minutes....wish me luck.....
Caren
#62 of 659 Old 09-15-2005, 01:23 PM

Numnumom & Velveteen, those sound like great easy recipes. My oldest,Nick,would be all over the sweet pear treat! I am a big salmon lover & am always looking for new ways to fix it.Love the garlic too! Another easy recipe we do is Cheese & Apple Bagels, We take sliced bagels & top with a slice of cheddar & Granny Smith apples & broil at maybe 400 degrees. Yum!

Numnumom,Good luck! Here's hoping O is to come. If your temp is still down & you've got the EWCM you probably are pre-O. Your garden sounds great, I was too lazy to fertilize but did lay soil from our compost down initially & buried the occasional banana peel here & there. No,I didn't take anything for my cramps..just the cuddle cure!

Velveteen,
I have gotten to the point where I just plant mint in containers! Otherwise it needs to be in a contained area. Oregano can almost spread like that too-but mint is the champion! I have sunflowers that the birds have "planted" we have birdfeeders all over & they drop seeds.I pulled most of them but have 2 nice ones...one yellow,one Mexican Sunflower which has loads of small red-orange flowers.I have a community graden plot -my tomatoes were sauce tomatoes & did O.K but the plot next to mine had out of control tomatoes and we were encouraged to pick some.

Hopeful,
I always get so disturbed when I read/hear about children in trouble. I wonder how it somehow isn't picked up on by someone-school or neighbors. I know people like to pick on Hilary Clinton but I totally believe that "It takes a Village to Raise a Child". We all really should do what we can & look out for each others kids. Of course I don't know this particular story, but it seems strange as well as heartbreaking.
Up until a few years ago we had the postage stamp back yard with 8ft high weeds. We did manage a small garden after much work but our house was overlooked by a big apartment which we saw on the news one day as the site of the cities second largest cocaine bust! It wasn't a bad neighborhood either...pretty disconcerting!
Im wishing you lots of luck with your Femera. Does it make you feel differently? Are your temps different or do you have PMS like feelings?

cheesedreams,
It must be very frustating for you not to know when your period will return. It is strange what a large variation there is. With my 1st 3 my cycles returned around 9 months & I was nursing my 3rd exclusively NO food at all she wouldn't touch it. With my 4th I had a period at 6 weeks then would skip a few months then have another.My friend who has four always went about 2 years before hers started back. I guess a certain hormone level must trigger things.And then of course you can get pregnant without starting back up -ovulating first! Is the Vitex supposed to help your cycle start? What does it do?

How is everyone else doing? I have figured out my "if I were to concieve this month" due date and it would be June 17th the same due date as my first,Nick. So I am of course going to take it as a sign!

Now I am going to play in the attic & sort clothes as we have hit the seson change here. Good luck...reading back to the first page of posts we should have a tester or two or I have got some company in this boring part of my cycle.

Take care,
Lisa (mamaov4)
#63 of 659 Old 09-15-2005, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaov4
Cheesedreams,Jempd,Polka,Fortunategrrl,mom4tot,kok omomnn,nanmama02,GeemiesMommie
Hi! Don't make us all by ourselves!Updates please!(mamaov4)

mamaov4, i've been frustrated with how wonky my cycle's been the last 2 months. i figure i'll have more to talk about when it/if it gets back to normal. whatever normal is.

has anyone else had the experience of ovulating earlier, and then earlier? is it possible to ovulate at day 9 one month, then on day 7 (?!) the following month? i mean, i normally ovulate early enough already between day 10 & 12. but this is ridiculous.

i'm trying not to freak myself out. i, like so many of us, figured i could get pregnant whenever i wanted to, if i wanted to. i had no problem getting pregnant with my dd 13 years ago. amazing what some years can do. oh well. i'm getting tired of angsting. so i'm trying not to care.

as far as gardens go, we've got a large (for in the city) overgrown yard. a few tomato plants that haven't done much. some lovely little spicy red peppery things that are almost too pretty to pick. rhubarb. clematis growing up the side of the house. and bunches of echinacea, black eyed susans, stone crop, balloon flowers, chives, basil, lavendar, etc. one of my dd's favorite things to eat is tomato and basil from the garden, slices of fresh mozarella from the co-op, on a nice ciabatta bread with some olive oil spread on it, sprinkled with salt and freshly ground pepper. she'd be happy if she had nothing else.

i just want to say, i'm thankful for this thread. reading about everyone's trials and triumphs helps put things into perspective. many thanks for sharing yourselves. - moni
#64 of 659 Old 09-15-2005, 03:45 PM

OK, here's an update. Just wanted to get more info on sleeping in darkness before I posted again. I keep forgetting to bring the book with me to work. Will do so soon. Meanwhile, FSH level was lower this month that last, which is good. RE told me to go ahead with gonal-f. Tonight is day 4. Tomorrow I get another bloodtest and ultrasound so we'll see what's doing with those follicles. After the first day of gonal-f I felt a most definite ache in abdomen I think around where ovaries are so I thought Oh good it's working and since then haven't felt anything--and thankfully not the dreadful-sounding side affects. But I wonder if anything's going on in the ol' ovaries. The only thing I can say I've felt is the slightest sort of buzziness in my brain. Is that how estrogen/fsh makes you feel in general I wonder?

Re: ovulating earlier and earlier in your cycle. Do you then have a very long luteal phase and your cycle is overall just as long? It must right after AF then, right?
#65 of 659 Old 09-15-2005, 05:17 PM

You may be right, this may still be my month! I just had my first ppAF, 21 months after my ds's birth. I went to a great AP meeting with a talk by a lactation consultant, maybe it triggered something.

Anyway, can't believe I missed ol' AF, but now my ds is wondering what tampons are for. Can't quite figure out what to tell the little one.

Day 1 and counting... :
#66 of 659 Old 09-15-2005, 05:48 PM

: :

Congratulations Cheesedreams!
What great news! Are you going to chart to get an idea of what your cycles might be up to? I actually never did until just a month ago but like the idea of having something I can look back on. I did try to pay attention to O dates & cycle lengths but they would all get mixed up after awhile.

Fortunategrrl,
I personally have O'd as early as day 8 & I usually do from day 10-12 myself.
But I have also recently gone to the other extreme (for me,lol ) & o'd on day 13 & 14. My luteal phase seems to stay pretty much the same 11-12 days although in recent months I have had spotting on days 10 &11. So...I think you are right and that some of this is our cycles changing a bit. BUT we are lucky to be ovulating so I try to be positive!
Your garden sounds great & I eat a similar sandwich except I add spinach & artichoke hearts packed in a vinigrette (sp?!).

Jempd,
Gonal-f is yet another term I recognize but don't what it is prescribed for.I assume it relates to ovulation based on your post. Is it a hormonal stimulant? I hope it works for you.

I'm off to continue sorting clothes & then will stuff goody bags as my sweet
Lily Grace turns 6 on Saturday (usually we are racing to beat guests to the party so - I am determined to get there first this time.)It will be nice as we will just all hang out at a big park,the kids will play and I'll have some crafts set up for interested parties only. Very easy & casual.

Take care,
Lisa (mamaov4)
#67 of 659 Old 09-15-2005, 11:12 PM

Hey, Cheesedreams! Congratulations!!!! Wow! That is big news. So....now the FUN starts! Do you have other children besides 21 mo ds? Trying for #2??? Hopefully things will be in full swing for you right away.

Fortunategrrl- when my cycles returned I never o'd early- Like momov4, I would get a period, then a while later another....ie at day 18 the earliest, but Ive had cycles where I o at day 28 (this is when af first returns) and even 10 weeks later. I think I remember after my 2nd baby I had some spotting then a period 4 months later. After some time, everything evened out.

Jempd- I really am looking foward to hearing how things go on the medication. Is this your first time on fertility meds?

momov4- that clothing season change is such a big deal in this house. I spend hours, if not days, changing, having the kids try on clothes and then switch them to the drawers/dresser of those they DO fit. Its like Disneyland here at the change of seaons!
I am so confused by this cycle that I dont know whether to cry or laugh. My opk is VERY neg. That little line has disappeared. It detected something at one point and now nothing. OK- Id figure I missed LH and ovulation, but I didnt feel like I ovulated, had very little ewcm and my temps remained low. This morning I have normal-looking ewcm, still low temp and feel slightly more o-like. But how could I have had some bit of LH earlier in the week???? Well, I wouldnt be surprised if af showed up in the middle of all of this confusion. I just want to get this over with and start a new cycle. Its making me nuts. I guess I'lll just keep opk testing until af shows up. Oh, and the opk I use is clear blue easy- not the clearplan- that one is for the monitor, though I have a monitor, I dont use it. I think it takes a couple of cycles to get to know you (if I would start to use it again), doesnt it? Anyway, I just keep spending money... :
Caren
#68 of 659 Old 09-15-2005, 11:33 PM

Pant.....almost...done,
Yes Numnumom,it IS a big hairy deal. I think we are done except for the continuing extras from the laundry room. I have a VAT of extra girls clothes in Lily's size because everyone hands down to her. I will give them away. I finally had a DUH moment last year & realized it made know sense to keep too many clothes even if theyy were cute.
Wow,you really are having a weird cycle. I wonder if you just had a quick surge your OPK missed? I don't know. I had mispoken as well..I also use Clearblue Easy..the smiley digital because it makes it easy but the lines do work the same as the regular OPK's. (I know thats not the case for digital PG tests.) I agree though, if nothing else it would be good to get the cycle over if it is going to be so strange. Maybe you just had a surge that petered out and wasn't enough to trigger O? I know we are all supposed to have bum cycles occasionally. I've had a few 21 day cycles in the past,uncharted & no OPK's but I bet no ovulation occured & these happened over the years not a post 40 phenomenom. Ah, the wonderous mysteries of the female body,blech!

Anyway,back to the attic!
Take care,
Lisa
#69 of 659 Old 09-16-2005, 11:30 AM

Just quickly answering a few questions directed to me, then I'm going to come back and more thoroughly post i.e., address several different people.

Gonal-f is actually fsh itself--unlike Clomid, which signals your brain that you need more fsh and so it signals your body to make it, it's made from recombinant dna--and exactly what that means I don't know except that it's actually human, not made from mare's urine for instance, and it's a very new drug just recently approved.

Yes, it's my first time on any kind of fertility drug. So, what you're doing is day 2 or 3 in your cycle you add this fsh to your body just as your body would normally start doing on its own if you were producing enough to properly stimulte the follicles to get growing and making eggs.

Just got back from the RE who saw 3 nice-looking follicles and who said things are moving along quickly (apparently it varies quite a bit from woman to woman) and she'll let me know, depending on what this morning's blood test shows, whether to start with the Ovidril (sp?) which is what stimulates you ovulating.

I just wanted to note here that this month, when I tested for much better estrogen level, is after I'd started taking black cohosh (3 tablets a day) for a month. The month before, no black cohosh, not nearly so good. OK so not exactly scientific as I am only talking about one month, but I think it's worth taking note. Also decreased caffeine intake significantly and tried harder to eat better (less meat, processed foods etc.) as I believe last month is when I buckled down and got a lot more serious about TTC.
#70 of 659 Old 09-17-2005, 09:36 AM

I had to do it...bump us up with a : : : : HAPPY BIRTHDAY to LILY!

Hurray for my 6 year old sweetie!
(I am going to show her this)

Jempd,
Congratulations of 3 nice follicles & such nice improvements!
Everyone,enjoy your weekend,
Lisa (mamaov4)[
#71 of 659 Old 09-17-2005, 11:08 AM

Happy Birthday LILY

: : : :

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#72 of 659 Old 09-19-2005, 01:44 PM

Hi Everyone, just got back from having an IUI done and got some very bad news as well: the doctor came in with the semen sample while I'm sitting on the table all ready and said that she's sorry, but the sperm count of the sample is very, very low. As in "too few to count", which is written on my chart. Did not have a semen analysis done on dh because I had gotten pg fairly quickly back with ds, almost 5 years ago. The doctor apologized profusely for not suggesting a semen analysis, and I feel stupid also. Dh had testicular cancer over ten years ago, and had radiation as well as one testicle removed, so it would have been a good idea. The thing that is so frustrating is that I responded as well as can be expected to the gonal-f and the ovidrel. The follicles produced 3 good-size eggs which is just right--neither too many nor too few and everything else--lining of endometrium, etc., blood levels, looked good. So frustrating to have gone through all that self-injection and running in to the doctor's to have my blood tested and to have come so far and done so well just to hear that in the end, even though I got pg from him once, it's pretty much a no-go with dh as the partner. So, the doctor said, since you're here and we've washed the sperm and everything else looks great, I'll inseminate you. But she was clear that it was just because of that and not because she thought it would get me pg. I'm still a little stunned, as dh's fertility isn't what I was focusing on, but rather my own. I figured his count was low, but I was thinking along the lines of low-but-still-in-the-range of-enough-to-fertilize-an-egg. The doctor said they like to see at least 3 million (per what amount I don't know) and dh's was "well under a million".

Huge huge sigh of deflatedness and frustration.

BUT, I am cheered by wishing every one of you success in ttc. Honestly.
#73 of 659 Old 09-19-2005, 02:03 PM

Wow,what a shock & disappointment for you. Especially with things looking so great on your end.It undoubtably will take some time to take in this news- I understand why you are so frustrated. Even though it may be unlikely, maybe the insemination will work- all my best wishes on your behalf for that and for what ever road you decide to take next.
Many hugs,
Lisa
#74 of 659 Old 09-19-2005, 02:49 PM

Thanks, Lisa! I so appreciate it. Yes, though it is as slim as slim can be, there is a chance. I am trying not to mentally kick myself (I mean, doh! how could I have overlooked something so basic as the sperm count, from a man who'd has one testicle and had radiation for testicular cancer?) and let it just plain sink in. Also, might as well wait to see whether AF comes or not before throwing in the proverbial towel. I want to say that any woman, before putting herself through fertility drug therapy, should ask her partner to have a sperm analysis. And doing the therapy wasn't so bad for me--I think I had a remarkably easy time of it and it was only one month of such therapy, but even so I would say that, if anyone wanted to know. The thing the doctor urged strongly was for dh to see his urologist to get thoroughly tested since there's a chance that such a low count could indicate that the cancer is returning, or something else is not right with him, so I am focusing on that right now.

A few days ago I was talking with the mother of one of ds's schoolmates, also in her forties, who just had her second baby and she told me that she and her husband had given up ttc #2 and were in the adoption process when she got pregnant, and that conversation raised my hopes, which was nice as it was just before I was to go and have the IUI.
#75 of 659 Old 09-19-2005, 04:10 PM

jempd - OMG
((((((((((hugs honey))))))))))
what a shocker BUT keep positive - it may happen

really..... I have 1 tube & 1 ovary & we conceived naturally 2.75 yrs ago without temping or anything.... so anything is possible

: : :

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#76 of 659 Old 09-19-2005, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Oscar winner Holly Hunter is to be a first-time mother – to twins – at age 47, her rep confirms to People magazine.
http://www.who.com/who/scoop/article...089844,00.html

#77 of 659 Old 09-19-2005, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Jempd;
I am so sorry you got that shock. We are here for you no matter what.
#78 of 659 Old 09-19-2005, 08:46 PM

POLKA 123 THANK-YOU FROM LILY!
: :
#79 of 659 Old 09-19-2005, 09:25 PM

Hi all,
Polka,
Lily really liked your Happy Birthday post and got a huge kick out of rummaging though all the smilies!

How is everyone doing? If I am remembering right Velveteen is going through the lovely waiting time & Fortunategrrl too. Numnumom, did you ever figure out your O situation? Cheesedreams, are you charting? Hopeful & Polka I think you are somewhere pre-O around me & Jempd I have everything I can cross-crossed for you....seriously..and it's quite hard to type with crossed-eyes,lol.

We had a lovely party for Lily. The weather cooperated beautifully..which was crucial because we invited far too many for our house!We just corraled a bunch of picnic tables near the largest playstructure at our favorite park...ate pizza & let the kids play...they did some beading & painted suncatchers. We hung out for hours because it was low 70's...just perfect.

This year we worked really hard to have a nature attracting back yard...as we downsized houses & yards when we moved the kids couldn't do as much in the yard so we made the focus bird-watching & butterfly attracting. So far we are doing pretty well & I actually spotted a hummingbird on my Scarlet Climber (a cheapie seed-grown flower-it takes awhile to get going but then goes crazy...it has tons of small red tubular flowers). I have been trying for YEARS to attract them with fancy feeders but did it the old-fashioned way & was unreasonably thrilled to see one myself! DH saw one yesterday while we were out walking & I was so bummed but I saw MINE from about 1 foot away...naneenaneebooboo.

I have decided to play amature fertility doctor this cycle & try natural progesterone cream. I have now had spotting before AF for several cycles making my Luteal phase shorter than it already was so I am going see if adding it changes anything. I used it while pregnant with Lily because I started bleeding at 11 weeks & had to do something & then used it with Helena for the first 12 weeks. I have know idea if it actually did anything but since I am charting now I should get some idea of its effects on temps & Luteal phase length & spotting anyway. I actually usually am pretty skeptical by nature- previous uses were as much an emotional response to lack of control over my situation as anything so we will see...

I am on cycle day 6 so am actually starting OPK's today...I know chances of surging are slim this early but I have had a 21 day cycle more than once & don't know what my luteal phases were as I wasn't charting then!

Hopeful,How is the Femera going? Do you chart? Do you feel differently?

Well,
Since I have know reason not too & I worked very hard today I am going to have a nice glass of wine & relax...I hope to be doing the same with a nightly glass of tea soon!

Take care,
Lisa
#80 of 659 Old 09-20-2005, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mamaov4; Little Lily, I am sooo happy for you!! : What kind of suncatcher did you make?? What kind of cake did you eat? I'm glad you had a lovely day.

I am in the dreaded 2ww, about half way through. Although I think the cycle is a dud, because I don't feel different. I try not to concentrate on it anymore, because it becomes an obsession of mine and I just can't do that to myself!
the thrill of seeing a hummingbird up close is not to be underestimated! We 'hatched' some butterflies and really enjoyed seeing those up close.

I think the progesterone cream is a good idea, but of course only in your luteal phase. Usually women in their 40's are low in progesterone, as estrogen is commonly dominant. Think fibroids and an estrogen heavy environment, it's everywhere, even the plastics that surround us.
I'm using it for a fibroid that I have, and it has not grown a bit in the year I've had it. Dr. was pleased about that. It doesn't bother me at all, and I am told it is not in a place that will effect my fertility, so I'm not worrying excessively about it.

How's everyone else??
#81 of 659 Old 09-20-2005, 10:07 AM

velveteen, thank-you i had chocolate cupcakes from lily : : : : :
#82 of 659 Old 09-20-2005, 10:41 AM

I was reading this thread because I keep hoping dh will consider another child. He says he's not going to change his mind. He says it gently, of course, but I still have a heap of wishing...

Couldn't read without this 40+ mother sending you all heartfelt baby-making wishes.
#83 of 659 Old 09-20-2005, 12:00 PM

UUMom,
Thanks for the good wishes & here's hoping your DH has a change of heart...it has been known to happen.

Velveteen,I think Lily was the only child NOT to either make a necklace or a suncatcher...gets enough crafty stuff at home.She really loves those smilies as you can tell! We had cupcakes & bottled water instead of our usual lemonade & big cake in order to thwart the bees.
I too have had fibroids for some time..I guess post 35 it's more common to have them than not to have them.You know of course that you really shouldn't feel any different at this stage..pg or not. (although I always think I should too.) I usually feel VERY optimistic until about a week past O then increasingly sure I am not until finally I am certain I'm not (going from pooh to eeyore on the optimist scale!) I am trying to get a handle on the obsessiveness but I don't think charting helps because you can't let a day just go by!

Well I have a house full of feverish (Lily & Nick)& hacking(Nick)
kids so am going to go make some more tea. Last night I had Nick coughing (so of course mom alert goes off), dog barking due to something dramatic like someone OPENING & CLOSING A CAR DOOR!,car alarm going off & finally around 5am. a huge flock of geese honking their birdie heads off!So...I guess a bit of real coffee added to my decaf today.

Hope everyone is doing well,
Lisa (mamaov4)
#84 of 659 Old 09-20-2005, 10:13 PM

I don't think so.

But the possibility is warming.
#85 of 659 Old 09-21-2005, 03:08 AM - Thread Starter

UUmom, this was absolutely my situation! My dh was completely against having another child. I wanted one badly. I cannot beleive we are TTC, and if nothing comes of it I am so happy that I at least had the satisfaction of knowing my dh ended up wanting another!
He got cancerous polyps in his colon, and another scare with skin cancer that could have been serious but fortunately was not. After he was completely healthy, he had a change of heart. I remember one of my earlier conversations with him and said "But women have babies in their forties all the time!" He gently took me by the shoulders and said "But honey, you won't be one of them"
So you never, ever know!!
#86 of 659 Old 09-21-2005, 12:07 PM

Hi everyone. Jempd- Im so sorry! How frustrating! But, you know, I am such a firm believer in miracles that I also dont think you should throw in the towel just yet. Maybe the IUI worked??? If you got preg before, why not again? Personally, I have been told so very many wrong things from doctors that I take almost everything with a grain of salt. There is nothing wrong with being positive while considering your options. No? Are you thinking of other options? Sometimes it goes thru my mind, too.

Lisa- the party sounds like so much fun! The progesterone cream sounds like a good idea. I also wonder if prog helps in the luteal phase. My dr has prescribed it in the past, but I never became preg on it. I did take it with my 1st dd when I was spotting and was told I was having a m/c, but dont know if it had anything to do with the preg being successful.
I hope everyone feels better in your house. There is something going around- some kind of flu/cough/fever. Big hugs to your little ones!

Hopeful- hows the femera? Any changes???

As for me, Im at cd 29 and my temps are still low, but no af. I feel I didnt ovulate, mostly because of my temps and cm. This is only my second cycle temping, I have always charted cm. My cm is ewcm on and off- either slippery or ew. Very strange. Maybe I should waste some money and poas to see if I am preg. I went back to the gyn (that strange doctor's office who thought I had too many kids- but I saw another doctor at that office) and I had a pos beta strep (GBS). I never had a pos for GBS and he gave me a vag antibiotic 1/time dose. Maybe this will cure EVERYTHING. I'll be preg next cycle- uh, if there IS a next cycle. Im still waiting. I havent given a call to the chinese med place to find out why I havent ovulated since they gave me those herbs. I dont even know if they would have an answer for me on that. I am now LOOKING FOWARD to af visit. At least something resembling normal. sigh.
Caren
#87 of 659 Old 09-21-2005, 12:10 PM

Hi UUMom- thanks for the baby wishes. I am sending your dh change of heart wishes!Does he say why he doesnt want more children?
Caren
#88 of 659 Old 09-21-2005, 03:39 PM

Numnumon...
Your cycle must be driving you batty! Have you ever had a super long cycle? If your surge got delayed for some reason maybe your EWCM is a sign that your body is trying to O now. I am am not familiar with what happens when you don't O....I am sure it has happened when I wasn't tracking my cycle but it hasn't happened when I have! I don't know if there is any more likelihood that your cycle would be longer or shorter than normal.If I were you-and keep in mind I am crappy example to follow- I would take another O.P.K & then maybe an HPT too. (see why I'm not a good role model?) I hate being in the dark. I have read & I quote here that you can sometimes test positive on an O.P.K when pregnant.

"OPK's as HPT's:
using an ovulation test to confirm pregnancy
Overall-- yes, it can be done. Ovulation predictor tests (known as OPK's because they are normally sold in a set of tests known as a "kit," thus the K) will show a positive result when a woman is pregnant, as well as when she's ovulating.

Specifically-- while it works most of the time, there are good reasons to avoid using an OPK as an HPT for diagnostic purposes. If you want to pee on any stick that will stand still after you know you're pregnant, just for fun, have at it. But I would not recommend using an OPK in place of an HPT overall.

Reasoning-- OPK's detect LH (luteinizing hormone) which is the hormone associated with ovulation. Pregnancy tests detect hCG, the hormone associated with pregnancy. LH and hCG are, at a molecular level, nearly identical. hCG has a beta subunit, meaning it has an extra little "doodad." To use a stupid but easy to understand example, LH and hCG are identical twins, except that hCG wears a funny hat.

An OPK tests only for the part of the molecule that LH and hCG have in common (the "face" of the identical twins.)
So an OPK will turn positive when it detects either of the "identical twins"-- ovulation or pregnancy hormone."
from POAS.com

The problem with this is the dependabilty or lack thereof of some OPK's! With your CBE test you might get a good result but it happens later than an HPT would test positive. So- I guess this falls in the category of "Fun Facts" and things to do with leftover OPK's!At any rate I hope you get things figured
out soon.

I am on cycle day 8 :yawning: so things should get rolling this weekend...I hate the nothing to do part so I am concentrating on not getting sick! Nick is still hacking and feverish but Lily is back to school & everyone else is fine!
I am hoping to actually get multiple attempts going at the right time this cycle...& up our chances! I am trying to stay positive but know that even if I do get PG there is always that MC possiblity lurking for me..sometimes I can't believe I have been pregnant 9 times! 2 mc at 7 weeks, 1 at 6 wks, 1 at 12 weeks, & 1 at 5 1/2 weeks. They don't seem to be age related as 4 occured before Lily but still for me getting PG is definetly only half the battle so if it happens I will need much support! We all have our battles though don't we?

Anyway-much good luck to us all,
take care,
Lisa
#89 of 659 Old 09-21-2005, 08:41 PM

Lisa- that was very interesting info. I didnt know hcg and lh were identical twins. Hmmm....my opk shows a slight (very light) pos line. I found some early preg tests here and it was neg. I also ended up calling the chinese med center. The woman there told me that she thinks my body needs to rest after nursing and the pregs so it may be why I didnt ovulate. I disagree-Im almost positive it was the herbs. It was the only thing that I did differently. There is the chance it is just a coincidence and I would have an anovul cycle anyway- but I dont think so. She thought I didnt ovulate before this cycle. I know that I was ovulating. I could feel it and my opk showed a clear surge with a thermal shift afterwards.
The strange thing is all this ewcm! Not only that- I feel twinges and things as if I would ovulate soon- but then it doesnt seem to happen. It IS driving me batty!
I have had long cycles before, but not in this situation. I had been having exact cycles of 27 days since I got my period after dd birth at 14 mos.

Im just going to wait- stay positive- and really count my blessings for the beautiful and thank God healthy children that I have been blessed with. And honestly, there are times when Im even overwhelmed with what I have now that the school year has started- homework with 4 of them- karate, piano, studying, playdates, helping neighbors etc......and then keeping my 18 mo dd happy and then shlepping her around with me on errands in the car. I sometimes DO wonder why Im ttc. Am I nuts????

Im so sorry about all of your m/c! IKWYM, getting preg is only the first (huge) hurdle. I have had 3 m/c and even if I did conceive- I wouldnt believe it until I saw the lil babe! That one you had at 12 weeks must have been very difficult? Was it until 12 weeks that you discovered it wasnt ok- or was the preg ok until 12 weeks? I had one of those, too. I thought that it was the end of babies for me.

So- when do you ovulate??? What cd, I mean? Coming up this weekend????
Hoping everyone else gets better real soon!
Caren
#90 of 659 Old 09-21-2005, 10:19 PM

Right back at you!
I would think that you are right..if there is a cause other than your body having a wonky cycle it would likely be the herbs. I am leery of everything...in my mind if it actually changes something physiologically then it is a drug,herbal or not. My mom was a nurse- & we never had more than aspirin in the house-I give my kids very little meds NO cough medicine because the labels scare the heck out of me! So- while I certainly believe that "natural" herbs can be very beneficial I also believe that they may often come with the same risk vs. benefits of any pharmeceutical if you know what I mean. I would love to know what the "Bible" is for information on herbal/natural remedies...something with a lot of hard science behind it as well as open mindedness! Right now I think you are doing exactly what you should do...relax, enjoy your wonderful family & wait for things to get back to normal. You might want to temp if your mucus dries up but hopefully sooner rather than later your cycle will straighten itself out!

I also KWYM about the "What the heck am I thinking ?" feeling when overloaded by all the family goings on! But then that moment comes when I look at that little face or get that sweet hug & think "Please,one more time"! I know I have the love & patience just need the luck. If we don't conceive I may foster parent at some point. The only reason I have had concerns about that is wondering if I could handle the emotions of letting a child go!

As far as my 12 week miscarriage it was AT 12 weeks...I found out at 10 1/2 weeks that the baby had died at about 8 weeks. It took about 1 1/2 weeks to miscarry. That was my first pregnancy- I then bled for several weeks during my second...cramps, big clots & was SURE I had lost it too but then saw that great heartbeat on the US. That was Nick! So...I have never had that relaxed pregnancy or ever counted on one happening. BUT I have been very blessed in spite of that.

I should be OPK + any time within the next couple days. I really need a nice date with DH! It's just hard to get people to watch 4 kids especially when Helena really only seperates witha few people- no regular sitters right now!
So right now we get the once in a blue moon out of the house date-most are in house which just isn't the same! Oh well...it will have to do!

I hope that everyone else is doing well-i don't mean to hog the thread..please tell me if I get obnoxious!
take care,
Lisa

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page