40+ and TTC September, come on over!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 659 Old 09-01-2005, 02:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Let's start a new thread for a new season!
CD 4 for me...
#2 of 659 Old 09-01-2005, 08:52 AM

thanks for the new thread velveteen!

cd 23 for me. ovulated early so i think we missed it. but a girl can dream, eh?
#3 of 659 Old 09-01-2005, 08:54 AM

Hey Velveteen

Let's see, CD 13 for me. Tonite or tom. night, that is the question? :LOL

Thanks for the new thread.

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#4 of 659 Old 09-01-2005, 01:34 PM

Hi all-
Haven't posted this summer because we took a break from TTC. So this month is a go to try again. We left off with doing acu for help with LP in May, was great but did not help. The last few months I have been gaining days and in August we had a 13 or 14 day LP (I was counting sorta). I almost thought I might be pg but am still very happy that now we can actually try and have the time needed for implant. So....thats my story. I will try to read the older posts to see what has been going on with everyone.

Just to share what I will do to boost my chances-
I am giving up caffine
Starting up yoga at least 5-10minutes a day
Assorted teas that help (hopefully)
EPO and B6
OPKs

It always helps me to see it writing so thanks for letting me share. Hope to get to know you all better on our journey
#5 of 659 Old 09-01-2005, 01:34 PM

Hi all-
Haven't posted this summer because we took a break from TTC. So this month is a go to try again. We left off with doing acu for help with LP in May, was great but did not help. The last few months I have been gaining days and in August we had a 13 or 14 day LP (I was counting sorta). I almost thought I might be pg but am still very happy that now we can actually try and have the time needed for implant. So....thats my story. I will try to read the older posts to see what has been going on with everyone.

Just to share what I will do to boost my chances-
I am giving up caffine
Starting up yoga at least 5-10minutes a day
Assorted teas that help (hopefully)
EPO and B6
OPKs

It always helps me to see it writing so thanks for letting me share. Hope to get to know you all better on our journey
Oh and CD 4 for me too.
#6 of 659 Old 09-01-2005, 02:40 PM

thanks for starting us up again Velveteen. I've got nothing new - cd 7 but the cycle before this one was only 17 days. I'm watching closely for signs of o - ewcm, cramps, attitude :LOL but nothing yet. and of course tonite dh starts his 3 nights on overnight at job 2. so hopefully it won't be til after the weekend. maybe LABOR day?? how appropriate that would be. hee hee. hey one other sign I have is dh is like a horn toad when I'm about to ovulate. As if his hormones can smell my hormones. He'll even ask me if I'm o'ing cause he's so "distracted." Any of your dh's like that?
Welcome back to school - mine start on the 6th and 7th - and we're all ready, I think! I always mourn the end of summer - I hate winter. Don't know why I live in the north east although right now I'm thankful for not living on the gulf coast anymore.. prayers to all of you who may have experienced any fallout, and to those who are living in that hell right now.
#7 of 659 Old 09-01-2005, 04:14 PM

Yay,
Thanks Velveteen!
To answer your previous question I am a novice charter..this is my first tracking a cycle from start to finish. I have always paid attention to CM since highschool (I had a teacher in a parenting class talk about it way back then) funny/scary to think how long ago that was!So- I started to notice the differences back then-I was about the most innocent teenager ever so I didn't do it for birth control reasons but just for curiosities sake.

Anyway,I have heard about TCOYF in reference many times but never bought the book myself. I have always TTC the day of first sign of surge because my cycles can be short & erratic and I'm paranoid I'd miss O if I waited for a super dark line (and sometimes my 1st positive is darker). I did wonder though if any of the advice or theories changed as you hit your 40's or if the strength of the line had any bearing on the quality of a given ovulation. The way the tests vary it's probably hard to tell. I had thought about the fertilty moniter but didn't want to shell out the money. Is it a one time only cost? How exactly do they work?

Speaking of surges...I am at day 10 and am pretty sure I am there (did OPK this afternoon).

So I guess I(we!) will do my usual day of surge romancing!

Good luck to everyone and please give me strength to not test until period is actually due this time. I have a horrible testing habit I need to break.

Take care,
mamaov4
#8 of 659 Old 09-01-2005, 04:26 PM

Mamaov4: maybe if you think of this: save the money you would have spent on all those pg tests and put it toward the price of the predictor! using that, you will be less likely to feel the need to test before af is due.. maybe?? I have the benefit of working at the birth center where my kids were born so I can have all of the pg tests I want! Yet I'm more likely to put it way off, since my period is so unpredictable these days.. when I want to bring it on, I take a test and inevitably I get it the next day!
hang in there!
have fun with the bd!
#9 of 659 Old 09-01-2005, 04:44 PM

Wow - I'm having trouble with all the names that have the word "mom", "moma" or "mamma". Sorry, I'm a bit thick but I keep getting confused at to who is who.
Thanks for the new thread Velvet. Makes it a bit easier I'd say.
Me - I'm on day 18, officially in the 2ww - don't feel a darn thing. I'm still doing acupuncture. I'm also doing a parasite cleanse that my acupuncturist said to do. Already did a liver cleanse.
That's about it for me so far. I don't do the opk's so I can't answer any questions about them. I can feel "o" coming and I do temping which usually tells me I'm right. I seem to always "o" on day 11. Now if I could only get the eggo. And I don't mean the waffle.
#10 of 659 Old 09-01-2005, 04:50 PM

yeah, you are right. I may start signing off a little differently,after all I am more than just a mom, right?
mamaov4 (aka hmmm...chocolatefiend....artistwithouttime...dog walker in paradise....lapsedveggiehead...I'll keep thinking...)
#11 of 659 Old 09-01-2005, 05:31 PM

I'm still here hoping that AF will return this month after 20 mo of bf'ing. I'm feeling more crampy, possibly like I'm close, but I know that it can be like that for a while. One book compared it to "Cloudy skies with no rain." Oh well.

I'm still slow with the ttc abbreviations. I wish there was an on-line translator to speed up my readings!
#12 of 659 Old 09-01-2005, 06:24 PM

#13 of 659 Old 09-03-2005, 10:55 AM

has anyone here done "the chlomid challenge"?

after my tests came back, my doctor recommended trying "the challenge" as our next step.
#14 of 659 Old 09-03-2005, 02:07 PM

I'm waiting for AF for the next course of gonadotrophin injections... Did the last round in July, unsuccessfully. Septmeber 2 years ago, I conceived my tiny baby girl, so maybe September is lucky for me. :
#15 of 659 Old 09-03-2005, 03:24 PM

Checking in.

I'm not hoping for much this mo/ as we were gone part of it & didn't pay attention much to my cycle.

I'm to start all the testing for IUI next cycle but not really excited.
DS turned 2 YO the last 1/2 of August & that was a blast.
I feel like the TTC issue is taking away from him at times.
anyone else feel like that

(((((((((hugs))))))))) & for all of us

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#16 of 659 Old 09-03-2005, 07:33 PM

Polka - I feel like that all the time. My daughter is 15 now and my son is 11 and I become so afraid that I'm missing how important my time is with them. The are growing up so fast. I know that everyone says that - I just didn't realize how true it is. My daughter used to be such a mommy's girl. Tonight she passed up "mother, daughter night" to spend the night at her girlfriends. I can't believe she ditched me. She used to jump for joy on those nights. So, yeah - I feel it all the time.
Fortunategirl - I did the clomid challenge. As I'm sure you know, it gives them a better idea of how your "ovarian reserve" is holding out. Anything below ten is said to be acceptable. They want to see if you can keep the numbers down after you do the clomid. I think mine was 6 before clomid and 7.5 after. So I was o.k.
#17 of 659 Old 09-03-2005, 10:19 PM

Yes,
I definitely agree that TTC can take attention away from the family that you already have. Particularly for us, as we more "mature" women know we have a ticking clock at the least and often complicated fertilty issues.

Last weekend I talked with a lady at a neighborhood music festival, we hit it off & chatted for sometime.Her 10 year old son Zach was playing with my 11 year old Nick.When talk turned to family I learned that she had lost her 12 year old son last fall. It just hit me like a ton of bricks, I offered condolences of course- but as it was a night out,diversion for her & we had just met conversation quickly turned to other things. Since then I have found myself thinking about her frequently and am working on truely counting my blessings-

My son Max had several serious kidney infections a couple of years ago,with hospitalizations,MRIs and exploratory (minor) surgeries to look for a physical cause.
He is stable now, and it may have been a maturation thing as he would have a UTI which quickly progressed to Kidney infection. The whole urinary tract & bladder have so many things that can cause trouble if something is just a little out of whack. Being a boy it is more unusual and sometimes quite serious. He has been just fine over a year now and in his case no concrete cause was ever found.

Anyway, I realze just how lucky I have been. Yes, I have had multiple miscarriages but I have 4 wonderful children. We were lucky enough to have access to a fantastic children's hospital& coverage when we did have a serious problem.I am well aware that this is not always the case in the U.S!

The horrible situation in New Orleans and elsewhere has been on my mind as well. My kids and 2 other families we are friends with had a bake sale for hurricane relief on Friday. We just camped out with our table outside a high end (and friendly,neighborhood since 19340) grocery store. In about 2 1/2 hours we raised 236.00! It was great because the neighborhood has people who can give a lot and also lots of college students,elderly and others who can't donate a big check but can throw a few dollars in a coffee can. I think when people see kids doing something positive they are even more likely to get into the spirit. Many people just gave money without buying and one really nice and cute(shame on me I could be his mother) college age guy paid 20$ for a rice crispy treat which earned him big "WOW, THANKS!" from the kids.I have had such an urge to do SOMETHING(like go down with a truck)that it was a relief! And the bonus was that we couldn't have afforded to personally give that much money. I guess this is another long-winded example of feeling fortunate.

Anyway, life does go on as we TTC and sometimes I need to step back and enjoy my life as is.

Hopeful, I have had that little rejection thing too....my boys deciding to play at a friends rather than take a long nature walk- and I am having to lure my 9 year old back to our book clubs...luckily my 11 year old is such a book worm & fan of the coffee shop treats on our dates that I still have him. I guess it is a natural thing...they have to be able to leave home some day so we must (sniff) become a bit less important. I'm sure your daughter hasn't given your dates up for good though..and she will remember them all her life.

Polka,
Two year olds are so much fun! My daughter Helena is 3 and sometimes I think a big part of my contiuning to TTC is the feel of her little arms around my neck. When I was trying to conceive Max (Nick was 1) I had a had a miscarriage before Nick's pregnancy,bled with Nick for weeks and then miscarried before I got pregnant with Max. That time was so stressful in some ways even though I had this wonderful child. It sounds like you had a great birthday, they are good celebrations of life aren't they? And a 2 year old is really starting to get the idea that a birthday is something exciting, if not precisely what it is!

Well as I have for ages here I should stop now. I do agree with Nanama that I should consider the fertility moniter. Right now though I am going to try to chart and not test for a couple of months then reevaluate everything ion a few months!

Good luck to everyone, I think I have hit O as my temp went up .3 this morning if I'm up a bit more tomorrow I should know for sure.

Take care,
Lisa,mamaov4
#18 of 659 Old 09-04-2005, 12:30 PM

Here it is!
#19 of 659 Old 09-04-2005, 11:12 PM

Since I'm new to this, I don't know much about fertility monitors. Are there certain brands/types that some of you would recommend?
#20 of 659 Old 09-05-2005, 01:26 AM

Hey! Here y'all are! I found it! I will c&p my post to the other thread here. I want to respond to this thread, too. So much to say, and so little time............
Caren
#21 of 659 Old 09-05-2005, 01:47 AM

I am copying my post from the other thread here- I guess most of us feel this way to one degree or another.

Hi Ladies.
Jempd- thanks for the info on the insurance. Its lucky for you that your insurance covers even that part of it. I dont imagine mine would cover anything. Im interested to hear what happens with the next FSH level. Then I guess its a decision you will have to make. I have a gyn appt for tues and Im hoping to see what is going on hormonally with me.

Momov4- I also have always used opk. We have bd'd before the darker line and then when it it appears darker we do it more often. We have also gone the route of waiting until a day after the surge. In the past (which seems to have little bearing on what is going on now!), when we bd the day it turns pos (and those few days following) I get preg.

I also am coming to believe that possibly 46 is not as young as I would like it to be. I have really been fortunate to have had my children in my late 30s and as late as mid-40s, but I want to be prepared for the possibility that it might not happen. I know some of you here are dealing with primary or seconday fertility issues and its a pain that I cant even imagine. My heart and prayers go out to you. I know the longing for a baby is so intense and heartbreaking. Im sure we will keep trying, but I cant see myself putting so much effort into it and always feeling disappointed or jealous of younger women with younger eggs. I like who I have become, I like my age and I like taking good care of myself. Its a matter of appreciating the blessings I have and the family I have been given.
Ok- now, that said, Im very well aware that Im at cd 12 and will o in about 6 days (of course, when I have family visiting from Calif staying with me..........). It would be so much nicer to be able to bd without having to concentrate on the b. But, Im not quite there yet............

Also- I'll add more (of course!). Momaov4 and Hopeful- The more I begin to accept what might be, it seems the more I can also appreciate my children. They are growing up so fast and need me so much.
When Im ttc and feeling disappointed, I find that Im not taking a step back to appreciate my wonderful family. Im not giving up ttc, but when I get so disappointed that it didnt work that month, it takes some of the joy out of my relationships with my children. Does that make sense? I really am a joyful person and I appreciate what I have been given. I dont want to live month after month with this heaviness hanging over me.
#22 of 659 Old 09-05-2005, 02:49 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, your here!

HELP, I'm getting a bladder infection. I had one years and years ago, my only one. Suggestions?? I just had dh run to the natural foods store for pure cranberry juice. :
#23 of 659 Old 09-05-2005, 11:00 AM

Have you tested? AZO brand makes test strips to let you know for sure-we always have them because of my son Max's past UTI's and kidney infections.
They also have tablets to take to relieve that must go all the time feeling. They are just to be used for a short time because as I am sure you know you don't want to let a UTI go on too long.

I have had success with the cranberry and LOTS of extra water combination when I've caught one early. (I had many post-partum). Also as you drink- empty your bladder frequently. Good luck!

Numnumom,
I absolutely understand what you are saying,
People would also describe me a s a joyful person & I am but do have that feeling each month-that let down. I know I will be reevaluating continuing TTC in a few months. I know that my motivation right now is all tied up in how much I do love my children..having that one more so I/we can experience it longer..and that my children would love to have a baby in the family as well . l, like you was fortunate to have some of my babies later- 38 & nearly 41.,
I think that keeps the hopes going because "we did it before!". I am trying to figure out if I have just reached my personal point of infertility. I had a MC in march and am reasonably sure my body tried but didn't implant last cycle (+ HPT at 8-9dpo, negative 2 days later followed by AF right on schedule. I am going to give myself until the end of the year charting to get a good look at my cycle to give this a shot.

Meanwhile I am getting back to fitting art in, looking for ways to bring in household income (perhaps teaching art, working on a children's book) and at least taking my obsessing down a notch...these last 2 days NOT a good example because I am cleaning the office & have too much time to log on!
A single mother firend of mine is starting a "Candlelite" (I think it's called) business -home sales of candles. I have to hostess for her Thursday night because she needs to give 6 parties her 1st month. SO>>>I am frantically cleaning so the candles look pretty!-Not so much next to a bunch of lego's,books,dolls etc! Not my favorite distraction!

If anyone is interested maybe we could talk about something non-TTC on occasion. Since I like to
I will start. What do you do in your spare time?

I make jewelry and try to fit in art..Nick is interested in art so we are going to start sketching together..later today we will go to the river and try to find a Great Blue Heron..yesterday the kids and I saw 4 and I went out in the river to take a photo and they ALL followed me! It was very shallow but mucky so we were quite the mess. Then the dog got out of Nick's hands and ran around chasing all the wading birds as I may have had shot of a fleeing Heron! i am thinking of taking up rollerblading but am scared I might have
"Falling issues". I am definitely going to start knitting this winter, I half started last winter but will get lessons this time rather than learning from a book...O.k NEXT!?

My chart looks good..does anyone know how you post a fertilityfriend chart if I wanted to share one? It says I ovulated on the 2nd. So..no testing for me until AF is due which for me is 12dpo.I am going to do my best to wait until the 16th the day before Lily's 6th birthday-so just test only if neccessary that's one big step for me as I was an insane early multiple test taker - it makes no sense whatsoever & keeps obsessing going nearly all cycle.

Take care,
Lisa(mamaov4)
#24 of 659 Old 09-05-2005, 10:27 PM

I'd love to talk some non-TTC sometimes

Lisa, what kind of jewelry do you make?

We are involved with animal rescue alot.
we are down to 2 German Shepherds (as opposed to 5 this time last yr).

We love sports of all kinds (both Dh & I are former Jocks)

DS keeps us really busy as we are trying to enjoy EVERY spare minute as he may be the last

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#25 of 659 Old 09-05-2005, 10:37 PM

Lisa- I so understand you. I also want another one for those reasons. I love having a baby in the house and my kids love taking care of a baby and enjoy their smaller siblings. I want this stage of life to last just a little longer. My children were at each of my births and my girls even caught their (now 4 1/2 yo ds) baby brother (with the midwife behind them guiding them). I want them to experience another birth. We have had so much fun with this last baby. We taught her to sign and its so amazing how easily she picked it up. I dont want it to be the last. But it just might be- even tho I did it before- it doesnt mean I can do it at 46. sigh.

In my spare time??? Hmmm.....I dont have alot of it, and I had everyone home this summer (no camp) so we've been at the beach and the pool all summer. I love photography. I used to have a darkroom, but that kind of thing is obsolete these days! I bought my first digital camera last year and I love trying new things with it.
I also do crafts. All kinds. We do alot of painting, too. I would love to get back into biking. I used to ride alot when I was younger but I dont even have a bike now. Dh doesnt want me to get a bike with a seat in the back for my dd- he thinks its too dangerous, but Im not sure.
Wow! Where were you wading for the Great Blue Heron? That is so amazing! Is it a rural area that you live in??? I live next to a bird sanctuary/nature reserve and we get to see all kinds of birds- especially in the fall we seem to see the prettiest ones.
#26 of 659 Old 09-06-2005, 02:04 PM

Hi all, Just wanted to jump in and say I hope everyone had a good and restful Labor Day weekend. I am feeling energetic enough to get back into the ttc groove, I think by the change of seasons around the corner, and I welcome the new thread to start the season off.

Read about light affecting women's cycles in The Garden of FErtility and am wondering if anyone here has tried sleeping in complete darkness and then having a low light on around when you think you might be ovulating? I think it's fascinating.
#27 of 659 Old 09-06-2005, 06:07 PM

blech - :

#28 of 659 Old 09-06-2005, 07:29 PM

Rats,Polka. I hate that. I think the smilie is a "Crap" smilie which is actually what I say each month I see that AF come. I wish you good luck for the upcoming cycle.
That is so cool that you are involved in animal rescue,my dogs are humane society mutts, we have a no-kill shelter here and adopt out a lot of dogs from out-of state. we are in Milwaukee and our dog came from Kentucky. He is a year old now and a Australian Shephard/Smooth Collie mix. He is beautiful- he has a soft tan/gold/red coat and gorgeous amber eyes. He is a sweetie and funny. Very tall and still a bit clumsy. Doesn't swim but loves to leap through the water like an overgrown bunny!.

Numnumom,
Although we live in the city we are about 4 blocks east of a river and west of Lake Michigan. Lake Michigan is suffering from huge stinky algea problems due to zebra mussels which infiltrated the Great Lakes on the hulls of ocean vessels.In the lakes, the mussels actually clean the water (eating small critters) too much and the sun shines through the extra clear water creating vast amounts of algea. It's particularly bad here because our beaches are natural. In Chicago, there is lots of landfill at the downtown lakefront at least..so the water depth is greater-less algea build-up. . Anyway, we have had to rediscover our river for nature walks. We have lot's of nice trails & and a great nature center nearby. We have seen frogs,turtles,beaver,fox & lots of Great Blue Heron among other birds. When Sparticus,our dog runs through next to the thistle he can scare-up a couple dozen Goldfinch. While we don't have the number of birds you'd have in a warm weather climate we do pretty well.

Velveteen,
I hope your UTI was manageable. I just hate them! I had a couple of doozies this winter complete with high temps.

GeemiesMommie,I conceived my firstborn in Sept too!

Jempd,
I think the light factor is interesting-what are the theories? Being in the city I couldn't completely blackout my room w/o serious curtains which wood freak the *&$@ out of my daughters who are still in bed with us some of the time!

Cheesedreams & fortunatgrrl
I cant comment on fertility moniters or Clomid-no experience!
I can say that of all the OPK's I liked the Cleearblue Easy happy face one because I had a definite yes/no answer. Too expensive though!

nanamama02,how are you doing?

Let's here some more about us!

As far as my jewelry goes,right now I make beaded jewelry primarily..I am starting to experiment with silver wire,making my own clasps,chain,bases for chandelier earrings etc. I hope to reasonably soon learn to cast metal so I can make my own settings. I will always be working in silver & semi-precious unless I win the lottery. I got into jewelry because it is so easy to pick up & put down- more family friendly. Right now my goal is to get back to fine art as well,I don't want to lose all my drawing & painting skills! Lately murals are all Ive done,fairies etc!

If anyone needs to kill cycle time I gues I can just post often. There should be a superwomanblah smilie just for me.

Good luck to everyone,
Take care,
Lisa,mamaov4

Thank goodness for the preview button I am queen of typos!
#29 of 659 Old 09-06-2005, 11:35 PM

Momov4- the lake you live near sounds so wonderful and full of life! The bird sancturay near me is next to the a Bay which, although pretty with beautiful sunsets over Manhattan, has alot of mosquitos. Its a problem here. Once they disappear in the fall, you have really inspired me to take my kids on more nature walks!
And the jewelery making sounds like a craft we would love! How did you get started? We have a great craft store near us (Michaels- I dont know if this is a national chain store) and could find just about anything to get us started.

Jempd- Id love to hear more about light and ovulation. What have you read? :

Polka- I know that feeling. Yuck! Sorry.
I went to a very strange gyn in the hope of having some blood drawn to see where i was holding. No luck. I got this doctor's name from my insurance- I had never seen her before. She gave me absolutely NO fertility info, refused to draw bloods for hormones because she said my nursing would make the results all crazy (oh, baaaa-loney!). She asked me what kind of birth control I was using and I told her I was trying for another baby- she then proceeded to say to me "Well, just how many do you want? Children are very expensive, college is expensive, dont you think you have enough, its time to do something for the government (I have no idea what in the WORLD she meant by this), dont you realize how old you will be when your children are teenagers? You will be in your 60s! I asked her about fertility at 46 and she said "Sure, go ahead and try- you'll come back here pregnant, but you really better keep in mind just what you are doing."
Can you believe this? Well, if nothing else, Im surprised by her thinking Id come back there pregnant (as if I would come back there at all!) The bottom line is- not everyone who has an MD after their name knows what they are talking about. She was nuts!
#30 of 659 Old 09-06-2005, 11:44 PM

Another question- if anyone knows- I had a fractured and dislocated pinky finger in august and my Dr. wants me to have an MRI. Is this not safe when ttc? I would only have the test when I was sure I wasnt preg, but is it safe when ttc anyway- would it affect my eggs? Anybody know?
Caren

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page