another question about progesterone cream - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-15-2005, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all -

I did a search thru this forum last night but didn't get a real clear answer so I figured I post something ....

I believe I o'd this past Sunday - my OPK was + on Friday and my cf seemed to coincide as well. my temps were a little screwy this month but they have been on the rise since Sunday as well. Now I had a very early m/c back in June and some blood work I've had done with my ob indicates I have low levels of progesterone. So I asked about prog cream or a prescription and she suggested a prescription. She then called me back and said try the cream (so I need to get a clarification on why not a prescription - my progs hover around 4 so in my mind I would get more bang for the buck with a 'script, if ykwim).

Anyways, until I talk with her I did pick up some cream (FemCreme - who names these things :LOL ) that is a high % prog but there really aren't any directions on how often to apply the cream to possibly sustain a pg? 1/4 tsp once a day? 2x a day? more? less?! I'm not going to bother asking my ob since she didn't seem real familiar with it (which leads me to think I need to find another ob, but that's another post).

Thanks!!

Mona
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2005, 01:55 PM

Hey I am using emerita's progesterone cream and took this from their website, you can check it out if you want, most of these creams are the same. www.emerita.com

"Women in their reproductive years: Pro-Gest® is best used during the second half of your menstrual cycle, for the two weeks prior to menstruation.
Days 1 (first day of bleeding) -13: do not use Pro-Gest®.

Days 14 - 21: use ¼ teaspoon twice a day.

Days 22-28: use ¼ to ½ teaspoon of Pro-Gest® twice a day.
The suggested use is based on a 28-day cycle. If your cycle is shorter or longer you may need to adjust the timing of use, earlier or later than day 14, to fit with ovulation. If your period begins early, STOP using the Pro-Gest® while you are bleeding. Count the first day of bleeding as day one, and begin the cycle again. "

you can apply it to your inner arms, inner thighs, abdomen, or chest, rotating the areas where applied

I make a little chart so I remember
Left inner thigh - Mon morn
right inner thigh - Mon eve
left inner arm- Tues morn
right inner arm
abdomen
chest
right bum/hip
left bum/hip

and then repeat

Hope this helps!
Old 09-16-2005, 02:53 PM

I also use Progest E after ovulation until I can test for preg. on cd28. One thing you really have to be careful with is to wait about 3 days following the LH surge or temp rise. Progesterone, if used too early, can actually STOP ovulation from occuring at all so be careful to chart or use OPK to determine when to start using. I rub in a 1/2 tsp, twice per day to my tummy and forearms.

The other biggie is, do not stop using cream once you become pregnant. You need to sustain the adequate progesterone levels to maintain the pregnancy through 10-12 weeks (the placenta takes over production of progesterone after that).

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-20-2005, 04:29 PM

I'm in the same situation as you but my ob was more helpful. She said the over the counter creams were the same as the ones she would prescribe, just cheaper. The key is to make sure you take 200 mg prog. a day. She told me this. Some packaging isn't helpful with the amount in the cream, but the website will usually tell you.

you have to figure out how much is in the jar and then try and figure out the dosage, but it's not hard.
hope this helps.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:58 PM

200 mg??? I looked at the Emerita website for the brand I have, Pro-Gest, and it says it has 450 mg in the entire tube! You're supposed to use 1/4 to 1/2 tsp per day, and they say it has about 20 mg per 1/4 tsp, so that is only 20 to 40 mg a day. Is that enough to do anything? I've heard several people found this brand worked for them, but now I'm worried it's not strong enough. Is there any OTC cream that's better? I thought this was one of the strongest ones.

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

Old 10-01-2005, 05:37 PM

I hope you read this, sorry so late in replying.

That is what my Gyn told me, this is what happened to me.

First month:
uses a low cream (20 mg per pump) no change in cycle. then Gyn told me 200 mg.

2nd month:
Bought new cream, used 200 mg a day. NORMAL cycle!!! 14 day luteul phase, (it had been 8-10). sadly not pregnant.

3rd month:
Was lax in using cream, screwy brain i guess. DID NOT use 200 mg. had a 8 day lutel phase and 5 days of spotting before period.

4th month:
Waiting to O and will definitely use 200 mg. From my experience that is what i needed.

Good Luck!
Old 10-02-2005, 09:38 AM

Where did you find a cream with that high of a concentration?

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

Old 10-02-2005, 11:38 AM

yeah what brand is it?
Old 10-04-2005, 03:56 PM

bumping to find out what brand the high test stuff is.
:LOL

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
Old 10-10-2005, 10:11 PM

The first cream i used was bought at VITAMIN WORLD (don't know if it's a chain)
the label reads

Progeterone Cream
Menopause Formula
480 mg of progesterone per ounce

back label
www.vitaminworld.com
800-228-4533
for ordering

now i have Femgest
there are 980 mg per jar (2 oz. jar)
so i use 1/5 of the jar a day.
sounds crazy, but it was a BOGOF so it was a good price.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:29 PM

I know I tend to be cautious but without a diagnosis of low progesterone by OB or midwife I'd hesitate to use it in large doses! I posted recently( if you scan down or search previous posts it's here somewhere) a pharmacology magazine article about these OTC creams..they really do produce the same concentrations in the blood as the prescriptions if taken in the same amounts so in turn really can effect your body. It's one thing to try out the 20-40 milligram dose but to ramp up to 200...personally I'd think it over! Just my worrywart two cents butting in....
Lisa
Old 10-11-2005, 10:18 PM

I am so so surprised that your dr won't prescribe progestone when your level is only 4. OTC creams are extremely weak and will not bring your levels up enough to sustain a pregnancy if your baseline is that low. I would discuss it with her again. Prescription progesterone is a much higher dose. BTW, Prometrium is the best Rx for maintaining preg because it's chemically identical to your body's own progesterone and has gone through an ionization process to allow it to pass through the liver.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:56 AM

Hi, I have researched progesterone for 4 years due to a m/c with first pregnancy and almost losing my son as well. I recently found this link which was the best, most comprehensive info on progesterone I have ever found. I thought someone might find it helpful.
I also wanted to mention that placing the cream on the belly, abdomen, thighs, or bum is essentially wasting it as absorbtion is difficult over fatty tissue. It is something I didn'tknow for a long time.

http://www.heranswer.com/PDF/10-things-HerAnswer.pdf

hth

User Tag List