Questions/tests for TTC after miscarriage - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 12-31-2002, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am going in for my first midwife appointment since my miscarriage and I'd like to know what type of questions and tests to ask for.
She is a CNM that works in a hospital so she can order any tests that I want/need.
Just a bit of history, I've had 2 pregnancies, one was uneventful and complication free and ended in our son, the other ended this month at 5.5 weeks. I realize this was probably "just one of those things" and there were chromosomal problems but still...

I also know that there is (most likely) nothing she can tell us about the miscarriage. What I would like to know is what to do about future pregnancies. Should I get more advanced and even earlier prenantal care. What kind of testing should I get through the next pregnancy. I've always been hands off and pretty intervention free but after the miscarriage I'm a bit gunshy and don't want to leave anything to chance. I also don't know how I'd relax until week 14 when we hear a heartbeat (that is when we heard ds's).

Any advice on your feelings, what you've done, what you think should be done would be appriecated

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#2 of 2 Old 01-01-2003, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sure your midwife can inform of you of any tests needed but I don't think there's much different you can/need to do unless there's a history of miscarriage. After my miscarriage the dr said to wait 3 mos before TTC and then all should be well. I made sure I stayed as healthy as possible, etc. and while it took about 6 mos to conceive the pregancy was normal and I didn't get any extra tests. In fact, I turned down everything offered since I was healthy and the baby seemed healthy. A beautiful baby sister was the result! (she's now 15 mos)
Sometimes, tests are not a good thing, but that's another thread...
Sorry for your loss. Even when it is "one of those things" it doesn't make it any easier!
Good Luck,
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page