Saw the ob about my miscarriage - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-02-2003, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
She was very very nice. And didn't push a d&c at all, which I had been afraid off. She said that I basically had 2 options, waiting it out or doing the d&c and that it was a very personal choice what would be best for me. I told her that I would prefer to wait it out and she was cool with that.

I asked her whether there were any advantages over doing the d&c versus waiting it out, and she said that basically sometimes the miscarriage won't be complete or you would have very heavy bleeding, and you would still need a d&c. But that is rare.

The complications of the d&c include infection and damage to the uterus, although this is rare too. I have decided to wait it out for now, I can always change my mind if nothing has happened in a few weeks.

I also called my midwife to tell her what's happened and to get some advice about the d&c vs natural miscarriage decision. She basically told me the same things the dr said, and also confirmed that there are herbal ways to get things started if they don't happen on their own. I have told her that I will give it a week, and if it hasn't happened by then, I might try some herbal stuff to nudge things into action.

So it is wait wait wait for now.

Once I start spotting or bleeding, I need to call them and come in to have anti-D. She also wants to measure hcg then and keep an eye on it, to be sure levels are decreasing.

When the miscarriage is over, we'll sit down again and talk about how to go from there.

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2003, 08:37 PM
XM

I am glad that your caregivers are treating you with respect and support. You deserve nothing less right now.

XM
Old 01-03-2003, 01:27 AM

I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of another of your precious babies.

I wanted to thank you for posting what your ob had to say- I was in so much shock that my dr didn't bother explaining anything to me, so the extra information is very welcome (my baby died at 8w4d gestation, about 4 weeks ago, but I haven't had her yet).

I'm sorry if this is selfish of me, but I was hoping that if you did end up discussing herbs to get things started with your midwife, you would post what she recommends. That sounds like a more gentle route then going directly to a d&c.

I know that you have been through so many losses this year that the words have gotten repetitive, but I want you to know that I am thinking of you and your baby, and you and your family are in my prayers.
Old 01-03-2003, 05:53 PM

(((((((((((Karen))))))))))))

I'm so sorry, I've been away and hadn't heard.
You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Kelly

Mommy to girls twins.gif 9/2005, our angel babies stillheart.gif 2004 and stillheart.gif 2005, and our intact, ebf superhero.gif4/29/2010.

Old 01-03-2003, 10:38 PM

Karen,

Like XM said, glad to know the caregivers are giving you lots of space right now, to make your own decision.
I read your last post over on the pg forum, and you are an inspiration to us all.

Peace, love, and harmony,

Mamasoleil
Old 01-04-2003, 03:57 AM

Karen, I'm so very very sorry. I've been away a few weeks, and didn't know any better than that this time everything worked.

I have no words for you. Wishing you all the strength and gentleness youneed

Old 01-04-2003, 07:43 PM

Karen, you will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 01-06-2003, 01:41 PM

Karen, you are in my thoughts and prayers. I had a m/c 2 weeks ago and know how you are feeling.

I was reading some of the replies...and thought that I would add that my OB was also very supportive of me. I didn't know what was happening at first (1st preg). She was ok with letting the m/c proceed "naturally" and it did. She was there for me if the bleeding didn't cease or if it got worse.

I went to the local herbalis (highly recommended by coworkers...) who gave me Lobelia and False Unicorn root to help. I did some research before I took these to "make sure". Hope this helps. Abylite

User Tag List