Surrogate Mothering - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-14-2003, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Does anybody have any info about this?

I'm seriously thinking about becoming a surrogate mother. I just feel that I need to do this. I don't know anything about it, though... I've read a couple of books, and have done some limited research, but it's all so repetitive.

I would LOVE to speak with somebody who has gone through this, on either side...

I don't have a family in mind, so I'd need to know how to get myself out there so that I can "chose" parents to carry a baby for... I have stipulations on my end, if that's "allowed"...

Anyway, anybody? Anything??

Warmly,
Emily

#2 of 5 Old 01-14-2003, 12:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
have you tried http://www.surromomsonline.com/ ? I have run into quite a few moms here and elsewhere who are thinking of it...and a few who have done it...to help them SAH and to give a gift to a family who needs it. I myself have considered the option for future children...either traditional surrogacy with a surrogate or donor egg/ivf for me. Most moms are interested in gestational surrogacy...for legal reasons that seems more common.

just wanted to add...the surrogate having conditions and selecting her family seems pretty normal. I would think you'd have to interview them as much as vice versa...it's not like egg donation where people are usually matched anonymously. there are a lot of circumstances to arrange not just $$...contact during pregnancy, whose at the birth, medical decisions, complications, if selective termination is an option if IVF results in higher order multiples, contact with the child, etc.
#3 of 5 Old 01-14-2003, 12:52 PM

Emily

Have you given birth to children of your own? Pregnancy and birth are powerful experiences. I think it would help if you knew what you were getting into.

It really would be a wonderful gift to someone if you could do this.

peace, Beth
#4 of 5 Old 01-14-2003, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
I have two beautiful little boys. I am a single mother who really enjoyed pregnancy and childbirth, but realy can't/doesn't want to have another of my own... However I would love for somebody else to feel the wonderful feeling of being a parent...

I know the bond, and know how to differentiate having my own child, and carrying a child for somebody else...

I'm very excited to think about this...

Warmly,
Emily

#5 of 5 Old 01-15-2003, 12:22 AM

I think that's such a generous thing you have done! I would do it for a family member, and dh and I are considering it for my SIL if she can't have a baby by the time we are done with kids. But it can be so emotional. I would want to keep track of that child and know that he/she was being raised well and treated well. You form a bond with that child even if it's not biologically yours.

Best of luck!
Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page