can hypothyroidism affect ttc? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-27-2005, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was diagnosed with a severe case of hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's Disease) 5 months after my daughter was born. It's been under control with medicine for 14 months now. We're planning to start ttc baby #2 in January. Should I get a blood test to test my TSH levels beforehand or wait till I actually get pregnant? Any information would be helpful.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2005, 09:58 PM

It wouldn't hurt to have your levels tested before starting TTC. An underactive thyroid can greatly affect your chances.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:18 PM

yes get tested.. hypothyroidism can affect TTC tremendously...

since ttc i had to have my meds changed 3 times

Seperated, Cape Dress Wearing, Covered, Conservative Mennonite Mama to big girl K.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:21 PM

I also got pospartum thyoiditis after my firstborn. When I got pregnant with the second, I didn;t check the levels right before. I did, however, get checjked very regularly all thrpoug the pregnancy and after ( new babe is 4 months and I am still trying to find the right doasage ).
That being said, it couldn't hurt to find out th at you are within range before you ttc again. I was lucky in that my levels were fine and I got pregant quickly, but I know being hypothyroid can make it hatder to conceive.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:29 PM

I would definitely get it checked before ttc and I would get it under 2. Then re-test as soon as you are pg.

I was diagnosed this summer (hypothyroid and Hashimotos) and got my numbers down to 1.6 and then conceived right away....I had been trying for over a year and a half. I had been taking 100mcg synthroid and my endocrinologist gave me 50mcg to take as soon as I got a positive pg test. That way I would have enough until I could get my blood drawn and adjusted.

Best wishes to you as you begin ttc!
Old 12-28-2005, 04:09 AM

well, you've already gotten several answers, but as i've posted many times w/ questions about this myself i'll tell you what i know! it could and probably will greatly affect your chances of achieving pregnancy. you should try to get your tsh between 1 and 2 in order to conceive successfully and maintain pregnancy. also, your levels can increase by 50 PERCENT w/in the first five weeks after conception, so you should find out where you are and regulate, then as SOON as you get pregnant you should test again. the baby is entirely dependent on your thyroid for the first 12 weeks, so if yours is off it can be very harmful from a developmental standpoint for a fetus. this is definitely something to be aware of and monitor closely...i'm still ttc myself right now, but only started levoxyl in october and my levels are now "optimal" so i'm hoping that will be what i needed! hth and good luck!

mom to 2 pooches, one wild and awesome little boy kid.gif who joined our family through the miracle of adoption, and expecting 2 miracle babies in spring 2013 after 7 years of ttc!belly.gif

Old 12-29-2005, 02:02 AM

It can have ALOT to do with your fertility.. We ttc 3 1/2 years for #3 and my thyroid is to blame.. When we first ttc my levels was off, one dr I seen gave me clomid anyways as I was trying to get my levels regulated and I tried 50mg, 100mg and 150mg clomid and never ovulated.. I took provera to get AF, and my af never came.. A few years later once my thyroid levels got normal I went to see another RE and she gave me clomid to try again, I ovulated on 100mg!!!!! I also started getting regular AF's again.. Five cycles taking clomid I got pregnant!!!!

Good luck!!

~*Candice*~
Wife, Doula and SAHM to six and expecting a new addition July 2012!namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifh20homebirth.gif

Old 12-31-2005, 03:26 PM
Fay

I also have Hashimoto's and am TTC #2. I became pregnant immediately when we started trying in September, but had a m/c at 5 weeks. My TSH has been stable for about 2 years (I take 25mcg of Synthroid daily), but everything changes during pregnancy. I ovulate regularly, and am hoping that this will be my lucky cycle (I say that every cycle, lol). Keep checking those thyroid levels, they can go haywire with Hashimoto's. Be strong!

"Isn't life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?" - Andy Warhol
Old 12-31-2005, 03:55 PM

Yes, check those levels, as with all the previous posters!
Check them during pregnancy as well.

Kate

( )

User Tag List