clomid and nursing? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-31-2003, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, this is a cross post. I am posting for a computer-less friend. She is 38 and has an 18 month old, who is still nursing. She wants to have another child before it is too late. She needed to take Clomid to conceive the first one. She is anticipating having to take it again. Her fertility doc said she should just wean. You take the Clomid for five days each cycle. She is wondering if she will be able to just pump and dump during the five days. She is afraid her 18month old will not be able to cope and will stop nursing altogether. Does anyone have any data on whether Clomid is safe during nursing? How realistic is it to expect her toddler to stay interested if he is booted off the boob for nearly a week each month? Thanks from us in advance.
#2 of 8 Old 02-01-2003, 12:48 PM

I don't know the answer, but I am going to copy this over to TTC. They might know over there!

Warmly~

Lisa

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
#3 of 8 Old 02-19-2003, 09:00 PM

Location: Anywhere and Everywhere, but mostly in the foothills of the Cascades
Sorry... I just saw this post. Taking Clomid while nursing - the issue is not the Clomid present in the milk, that part is OK. I suspect that the doctor told your friend to wean because nursing is a contraceptive. But night weaning should help... more later... my 2-year-old is climbing up my leg...

Patti
#4 of 8 Old 02-20-2003, 01:17 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Well - I don't know as I just got my first prescription filled...however - it does say that it is not known if it is secreted and not to breastfeed on the insert. I would imagine the doc is being safe.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#5 of 8 Old 02-20-2003, 02:47 PM

Wow, Adina, my insert doesn't say that! And I just read the whole thing again just to make sure. The insert that I have is 3 years old (I didn't get one this go-round), and I wonder if they have updated the insert. I have been nursing through 3 rounds of Clomid, and the doctor had full knowledge that I was still breastfeeding. Yikes!!!

Patti
#6 of 8 Old 02-20-2003, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Yeah - it says, "IT IS UNKNOWN IF THIS MEDICINE IS EXCRETED in breast milk. DO NOT BREASTFEED while taking this medicine."(caps from insert)

I am sure it is just their way of saying - we told you not to now you can't sue us. My insert for my asthma inhaler says the same thing....and I know momw who have breastfed while using their inhalers.

Anyone out there with a Hale's?

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#7 of 8 Old 02-20-2003, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Physician's Desk Reference says the same thing as Adina's insert. It also says Clomid may reduce lactation.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#8 of 8 Old 02-20-2003, 07:17 PM

Aye-yi-yi!!! And I won't know for years if it has effected my daughter!!! AAAARRGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!

I don't think it reduced my milk, but it sure made my nipples sore, which made for very uncomfortable nursing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page