Recommended pre-conception health resources - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-03-2003, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can anyone please share some favorite pre-pregnancy health resources? I'm looking for websites, books, tips on the fly, whatever ... all applying to preparing your body for another pregnancy. I'm aware of the basics such as detoxing, Kegels, repairing abdominal diastasis, taking folic acid and so on, but I'm curious about tactics I might be less familiar with. I'm interested not so much in preparing for and facilitating conception as in preparing for the actual pregnancy itself.

Thanks!
#2 of 7 Old 02-04-2003, 02:18 PM

what's abdominal diastasis and how do i repair it if i've got it?

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#3 of 7 Old 02-07-2003, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Abdominal diastasis is the separation of muscles in your stomach from pregnancy. You can repair it to some degree through exercise.
#4 of 7 Old 02-12-2003, 01:55 PM

Hi
I'm in the same space ~ the only resource I have is Susan Weed's Herbal for the Childbearing Year. But, she doens't really have much on pre-conception prep except for things to avoid "tetragens". Most of the info is on fertility ~ but I'm drinking my red rasberry leaf tea every morning and cutting out the bad habits (at least trying) that have returned since the last pregnancy. I'll be interested to see what resources folks give you!!!! Oh and what have you been doing for detoxing?????

#5 of 7 Old 02-12-2003, 02:29 PM

I like Dr Christiane Northrups book 'Womens Bodies Womens Wisdom', the aforementioned Susun Weed book, and there is a great tape called 'Welcome Babies' that is a guided meditation to welcome the new soul during conception, very sweet.
Our bodies are made for birthing and conception with few exceptions so I would focus on your overall spiritual and physical health. I personally just cut out soda, alcohol and other things that were going to be bad during pregnancy so that I would have gradual change instead of a sprint to shape up so to speak!
#6 of 7 Old 02-13-2003, 03:04 PM

Yeah Keays Mama ~ I'm on the cutting things out path also!!! Just quit coffee for the second time but this time I only went back to decaf, so not a real biggie. My most difficult one is chocolate. I didn't quit that last time until I was actually pregnant and I'm hoping I can do it this time without that soon to be mommy need to be healthy vibe that I got last time, but its chocolate afterall, so maybe that will be the one that holds on until the babe is actually settled and needs that healthy space to grow (we aren't really going to try until April so I guess I have a bit of time). I can do it, I KNOW I can : :

#7 of 7 Old 02-16-2003, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your responses. I'm still nursing an avid nursling, so most of the "common" things we do when we're pregnant are things that I'm already doing. Still, it's good to think about doing things right and focusing on things ahead.

Peace ~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page