Mothering Forum banner

What tests should be run to test thyroid?

768 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  CityGirl43 
#1 ·
I went to the doc to test my thyroid just to make sure nothing is wacky (had a bout with postpartum thyroiditis after #3 that resolved on its own) and he only ordered one test. Should I be tested for both T4 *and* TSH?

TIA!

#2 ·
I would want the tsh for sure and an antibodies test too...that way you would know if you have Hashimotos which would mean that your thyroid function will most likely continue to get worse over time. Also, if your tsh comes back way off you could ask for a full test of everything next time they draw blood.

#3 ·
The *general rule*: If you are looking for HYPOthyroidism (decreased thyroid function), TSH alone is fine. If looking for HYPERthyroidism (excessive thyroid function), TSH and some combo of T4/free T3/free T4 are what you want. To follow up on previous/resolved thyroiditis, you would expect the possibility of hypothyroid function, and check TSH.

#6 ·
I concur ... TSH, free T4/free T3 and an anti-thyroid antibody profile.

Just make sure your doc's office is using the reference range that was established in January 2003 by the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists (AACE): 0.3 to 3.0

In the past, TSH levels that fell into a reference range of 0.5 to 5.0 were considered normal, but that has since changed. Amazingly, though, many labs have not yet changed the reference range on their paperwork, and some docs who aren't aware of the change still think TSH levels above 3.0 are fine.

Very informative site if you need additional information:
http://thyroid.about.com

Best,
K

#8 ·
Hi sierratahoe. There's been a lot of talk in the 30+ TTC for Over a Year thread about thyroid stuff. Several of us are dealing with hypothyroid and the obsticals to getting appropriate treatment. You might want to stop by and check out the discussions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.