Can someone help me with Progesterone levels? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-05-2003, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a progesterone draw done on Monday--- 9 days after the LH surge according to the OPK. My level came back as 19.9. The doctor seemed very pleased with that. My mother works in a different city for another OB/GYN and she asked the doctor there what he thought. He said that "19.9 is good, but something like 22 would be better." He recommended progesterone suppositories or cream if I am pregnant, or a higher dose of Clomiphine next cycle if I am not. I want to do as much as I can-- and at the same time, I would ideally like to be on as little meds as possible. Does anyone know about progesterone levels-- is 19.9 good for 8 days after ovulation?
#2 of 6 Old 02-05-2003, 12:23 PM

Waldohood.
I'm not sure how accurate this site is, but I pulled the following off of www.fertilityplus.org It gave all sorts of listings for appropriate hormone levels. This was what it said for levels of Progesterone tested 7dpo.

"A progesterone test is done to confirm ovulation. When a follicle releases its egg, it becomes a corpus luteum and produces progesterone. A level over 5 probably indicates some form of ovulation, but most doctors want to see a level over 10 on a natural cycle, and a level over 15 on a medicated cycle. There is no mid-luteal level that predicts pregnancy. Some say the test is more accurate if done first thing in the morning after fasting."

Again, I have no idea how reliable this site is but if it's even close to accurate, I'd say your levels look pretty great! Don't be afraid to call your doctor and press for more info about why he/she does or does not use suppositories, that might help you to decide what you'd like to do. Hope this helped a little. I wish you the very best.
#3 of 6 Old 02-05-2003, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! We called the MD and got the same info-- I really appreciate your research!

And the VERY best to you, too!
#4 of 6 Old 02-06-2003, 10:28 PM

That sounds like a great number to me. With my blighed ovum last summer my first draw was an 18.5 which the RE said was fine (although she REALLY prefers to see it over 20) she wasn't ready to supplement with progesterone on just that number... yes this is the same woman that now has me on progesterone and baby aspirin (since we're going through all this trouble with Clomid we'd better make sure there's not a simple reason it wouldn't stick) .... the short of that exchange is that she can be conservative.

So, anyway, 19.9 is great, especially given your history.

What do they have planned for you next?

I'm scheduled for a beta on Tuesday am on cd12... a little early I think so they can schedule the hysteroscopy asap if I'm not pg. Mike's off to Scotland tomorrow am for a week and a half so I get to face the news, good or bad, by myself this time.

Take care,

Alaskan Mom to 2 boys
#5 of 6 Old 02-06-2003, 11:23 PM

I showed 17 on my first blood draw when I was pg. My dr put me on progesterone for the first couple of months and I have a lovely dd now
#6 of 6 Old 02-07-2003, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your replies. If I am not pregnant this month (I hope to find out Sunday-- one minute I think I am and then the next minute I think I am not), I will do another cycle on Clomiphine plus a post coital test to make sure that the cm is what it should be. I will keep you posted!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page