40+ and TTC SPRING on over!! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-10-2006, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
congrats to bjunkie!!! Please keep us posted. I'm encouraged that you ttc'd 3 years before you got pg, and now are pg unexpectedly! wow!

Joan; I am so glad to see you if you know what I mean. I am so very sorry about your losses, they are heartbreaking. Please let us know how the next step of meds goes for you, OK? I've been ttc forever, I don't expect much anymore, but can't give up hope either.

msgoodbuns; I am sorry to hear about spot.....:

still in the wait but also trying to live life and just hope for the best as I go along.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2006, 12:56 PM

Ummmm....
"look at my chart"....she said, very nervously...
:
Lisa
Old 07-10-2006, 01:00 PM

Wow Lisa that is looking really good. :

Laurie (46) Wife to : Mom to 4 Grandma to :
Old 07-10-2006, 01:01 PM

Lisa, you go, girl! Congratulations!!!! Woohoo! Yeah, another over 40 passes with flying colors! Best wishes for a super sticky bean! You give me a renewed sense of hope (just when I needed it most). Thank you.

LegalShield Sales Representative.  (Affordable access to quality law firms throughout the US and Canada...low monthly fee!  Ask me about it!)  Mom to Justice :in doggie heaven (13 yr old Dalmatian), Single, age 47.  TTC'd for years.  Now lurking and rooting on my fellow women friends!

Old 07-10-2006, 02:07 PM

I am a total dweeb I missed that you tested and got Super going out to you. Woo Hoo!!!! You go girl!

Old 07-10-2006, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Lisa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-10-2006, 07:37 PM

Lisa! that's a chart there. Climbing well leading to BFP, that's Wonderful.CONGRATULATIONS

Any things you did difference this cycle will be appreciated by sharing with us.TIA
Old 07-10-2006, 11:28 PM

Thank you for the welcome.

And, Lisa, that's a mighty pretty chart there. Congratulations!

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

Old 07-11-2006, 12:30 AM

Long time lurker here....

Got a question. Spot the dog has shown up 2-3 days before the old hag darkens the doorway for several years now. I was recently told by someone on the ttc thread that that might indicate low progesterone. I've had 4 mc's in the past 4 years, and I'm 42. It never occurred to me that the spotting might be abnormal. I just thought it was sweet of the old lady to let me know when she was going to arrive. Dh and I are not really trying to conceive, but we are open to new life. So I don't really want to do a lot of complicated testing. But if it's something simple I would like to correct it, bc I really would like another baby before it's too late. Any thoughts on this?

Mamaov4, that is so great! Congratulations!!

Liz
Old 07-11-2006, 12:41 AM

Lisa I just thought of something....Did your pee turn purple?

Old 07-11-2006, 05:48 AM

Thank-you so much everyone. I am excited at this new chance at life. It is the first step,right? As far as doing anything different..no, not really other than accidently hitting O spot on.. I did find this really good pomegranite/green tea that I was drinking for pleasure but honestly doubt that made a difference. I take CoQ10 for health but that's not new,otherwise just B Complex. Lot's of exercise? I think so much of this is good old fashioned luck after we do the part that we can control. Now I have to hope & pray that this is a good strong egg. The positive digital is something I never got last time so at least I am off to a better start.
All we can do in this world is live kindly , enjoy life and leave ourselves open to love & joy. This is what I am trying to do, I hope to be lucky enough to share my life with another child.

Liz,
I think spotting is a highly individual thing. It can be perfectly normal. I think the only way to tell is to get your levels checked which I believe they do at 7dpo. The theory varies as to whether the egg quality/pregnancy strength controls the progesterone levels or if the progesterone levels controls the pregnancy.This is HOTLY debated in the medical field. However, I don't know whther a low level to start with is a totally different issue. Many women use natural progesterone creme from 3dpo- strat of AF, but again it's use is debated. I think getting your levels checked is an easy first step,& you always have the choice as to to what to do from there.
Good luck.

Again thanks everyone, I hope that more good news comes soon & as always wish you all the best of luck,
Lisa

P.S...no purple pee Laurie!
Old 07-11-2006, 11:33 AM

Lisa - well done. I hope all goes well.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:21 PM

Ladies I invited Bach4Babies to join us. She is 39 and feeling discouraged. I thought this would be a good place for her. There is such positive support here.

Old 07-11-2006, 03:23 PM

I keep obsessively looking at my chart hoping it gets pretty like Lisa's.

Old 07-11-2006, 04:08 PM

Terrific news, Lisa! I'm so glad I came on the thread today to check it out. Only have a minute do will have to come back and post more later.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massaginmommy
Ladies I invited Bach4Babies to join us. She is 39 and feeling discouraged. I thought this would be a good place for her. There is such positive support here.
: She is welcome here.

You did great in inviting her.

We're all here to encourages and supports each others.

massaginmommy
Old 07-12-2006, 10:44 AM

Hey Laurie,
I think bach 4 dropped in before but it would be great if she comes to stay!
We ARE a positive bunch most of the time aren't we!

BTW...all charters might want to know that my post O temps this month were actually LOWER by quite a bit then almost any of my charts. Temps are definitely not the end all & be all.

Velvet,hoping for you.

Take care,
Lisa
Old 07-12-2006, 12:41 PM

Massaginmomma said I could join even though I am still six months away from 40 after I posted a very frustrated thread on TTC a first at my "advanced age."

Yesterday I went to a yoga class and I have to say that something about concentrating on my body and the breath and all that just tuned me right back up. I find myself mystically, ahem, energized if you know what I mean! Just the right antidote to all the mechanistic "trying" and charting.

Namaste!
Old 07-12-2006, 01:21 PM

Yea Bach good to see you. I am glad you are feeling better. I think I need to do Yoga.
Lisa good to know on the temps. Check out my chart. I think it looks pretty But then I always think it looks pretty right before the hag arrives. LOL

Old 07-12-2006, 03:18 PM

I saw on the thread that Bach4Babies posted on that MassaginM. posted to her after I posted, naturally. Sorry to repeat.

Congrats to bjunkie also! I know, re: yoga, I was doing it once a week from January to June and it's true, it is a great antidote to the anxiety this TTC can produce. Speaking of anxiety--this week I had a 2:30 appt. with my RE, to which dh came as he finally had room in his schedule, and guess when we saw the doctor? 5:00. It's a two-doctor practice and the other one was on vacation, and the woman who makes the appointments overbooked, so I don't blame the doctor. But I guess the stress of the whole thing came down on me all at once and I started to cry in the waiting room.

I am so not a cryer--I mean I sat through that Amy Tan movie and shed not one tear--but the thought of having taken a whole afternoon off of work, which is very stressful because this TTC thing is eating up so much time in terms of personal days, sick days, late for work or leaving early for appointments, just made me lose it. Dh was great so thank god he was there and ds was OK in nursery school. Doctor whipped through the consult at warp speed so that we could pick ds up in time. She promised to see me for a sounding next week at 8 am so that I can have it done before it is past day 11 of my cycle.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:03 PM

Oh, I so hate dealing with docs and I am totally there about how horrible it is to take the time off the job and then to have them make you wait more than TWO HOURS!!!

Hugs to you, as they say around here.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

jempd; this happened to me once also, and I turned into a deluge of tears! Sorry that happened to you.
Actuallty, you can blame the doctor. they should have discreetly told you that they had a major scheduling problem and had you come back at your convenience.Or, not charged you for the visit.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:03 PM

Welcome Bach4Babies I hope you get the supports you wants here.

And have a short stay here.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:41 PM

Speaking of dr. appts, I went in for a clomid check (day 4 - to see if ovaries are ok after the last round), and saw a different dr than my regular ob/gyn - a male dr (since mine had the day off). He read thru my file and said that, since my FSH was high (13.2), he doubted that I would get pg through IUI, BD, etc. Said that I should do IVF (which I would consider more seriously if I had insurance coverage for infertility / meds). Very depressing. I came home angry at the world, really needing a good cry to relieve the anger & stress.

Does anyone else have high FSH (ie. above 9)? Has anyone gotten pg with high FSH?

He made it sound like I shouldn't waste my time or money on ICI / IUI with donor sperm. He also said that IVF would give me a 50% chance of pg on the first try. I'm not so sure that I believe him, or agree with his analysis, and interestingly, my other dr. didn't give me such a poor prognosis.

Thanks for listening.:

LegalShield Sales Representative.  (Affordable access to quality law firms throughout the US and Canada...low monthly fee!  Ask me about it!)  Mom to Justice :in doggie heaven (13 yr old Dalmatian), Single, age 47.  TTC'd for years.  Now lurking and rooting on my fellow women friends!

Old 07-12-2006, 11:19 PM

Ms GB,
Hi..
I know nothing about FSH numbers so did a lttle search on FF. They have a forum called TTC With IUI, IVF or Medical Assistance. Within that forum is a buddy group called High FSHers. There are quite a few women there & probably a lot of knowledge. I skimmed a bit & it seems like your number while high is not as high as many are dealing with. Also..it can vary from cycle to cycle so you might want to have it checked again before worrying too much. IVF does seem to be commonly recommended (although some there are trying naturally) but again I'd get my levels rechecked. You might check for experts here too...I recommend FF only because their forums are larger so you will get faster & more responses.
Knowledge is power & Dr.s often make assumptions about women over 40..so you are wise to arm yourself with facts,
Good for you!
Lisa
Old 07-13-2006, 12:09 AM

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the info. I joined FF, so I will look for that group. My dr's won't re-test, as they say that, once you get a high FSH test level, you are always considered to have diminished ovarian reserve, etc. They say that the highest level governs over all others. It's like getting an "F" in school, and being labeled a failure for the rest of your educational career!

As you can see, I wasn't too happy with them. Perhaps I'll take mega antioxidants and see if my PCP will send me for a retest in a few months.

Old 07-13-2006, 04:12 AM - Thread Starter

msgoodbuns;
I highly reccomend reading 'Inconceivable' by Julia Indichova. Read it right away! It is the true story of Julia's battle against high FSH and her ultimate victory over it, by giving birth to a healthy 2nd baby girl in her 40's. It is very inspiring, I've probably read it 3 or 4 times.
There are things you can do to get your FSH down. I am assuming mine is high since I have a fibroid, which also means I am probably estrogen dominant, and you probably are too with that FSH level. Briefly, you can cut out dairy, eat organic and stay away from plastics that may leach out zenoestrogens.
Do not underestimate how healthy food can contribute towards your fertility.

You might also enjoy 'Wise Women for the Childbearing Years' by Susan Weed. I take herbs reccomended by her and she is well known and very knowledgeable herbalist.

I assume you already own a copy of 'Take Charge of Your Fertility' which is the TTC bible. It is sooo good!

Another essential read is 'Stay Fertile Longer' by Kittel and Metzger. This one you gotta have too. Everything in there; important resources you won't want to be without.

High FSH, although an additional challenge, is not a death to fertility statement as your Dr. would have you beleive. Women with high FSH get pg and stay pg all the time, despite their Dr.s dire predictions.
It does mean that your estrogen is probably elevated, and balancing your hormones is essential. That is what I have worked on this past year. Although I am not pg (yet) my cycles are so regular, I have stopped 'flooding' like I did a year ago, and I do feel like I have really cured myself of clotting and problems like that.
Arm yourself with knowledge, and these books have helped me immensly.

FF has also helped me a lot, their are buddy groups for different challenges, and I used to belong to a high FSH group on the net, but lost the site. Women got pg on that site, and we rejoiced with them.

Also, check out fertileheart.com which is Julia Indichova's website, dealing with more natural methods of coping with challenging fertilty.

One more thing, is that Momma Kath's website, which has TONS of info on it, including lots of herb help is very good. I've bought herbs from her, but once I knew what to take and how much I bought them myself and saved a lot of money.
I have also bought herbs, specifically False Unicorn root, which is VERY hard to find from Blue Turtle herbs, I think that is the name. Good price compared to Momma Kath's, wish I had found them earlier.

Good luck!
Old 07-13-2006, 09:27 AM

Thank you, Velvet. That's why I love being on this forum. You're wonderful, supportive, and full of valuable information.

I am already trying to balance my hormones with chinese herbs from my acup. and with vitex, but will read Julia's book and perhaps others, as well.

All my best to you!

Old 07-13-2006, 11:25 AM

Oops- I see you are on the eastern medicine path already!

I supposedly had diminished reserve. I was PG 3 weeks after my consult with the RE who told me that I did and clomid wouldn't do me any good.

I can tell you what seemed to work for me. Weight loss and eating more veggies. If you are not fluffy this advice may not help you at all. I was in serious need of a lifestyle change. TTC set me on the right path.

A very good friend also got dinged with a dimished reserve label recently. She is a bit younger than me. She had a pregnancy loss after IUI. After she had some time to heal she started working out. She wasn't feeling good and after not losing any weight she saw her regular doc who found high cholesterol and that she was insulin resistant. She has seen an accupuncturist who is prescribing herbs for fertility. After 6 weeks she is suddenly thinner and she feels tons better. She has kept up her exercise regime in the meantime. She is cutting out wheat and dairy on the advice of the accupuncturist. I have high hopes for her to conceive again.

Not sure if my novel is helping or not. I am suspicious of RE's now. They just seem to treat the reproductive organs and not the whole body.

Amy at Stone Fence Farm
:
Old 07-13-2006, 12:01 PM

Amy,
I am on TCM and acup., plus exercise regularly and eat lots of fruits and veggies. Did you write a novel? What is it called?

Velvet, which Inconceivable book should I get: the 1998 Winning the Fertility Game version or the 2002 A woman's triumpth over despair and statistics version?

Same question for "Stay Fertile Longer". Apparently there are 2 versions. Can you check yours and let me know the whole title? EVERYthing you need to know to get pg now...., or planning now for pregnancy when you're ready - 20's, 30's, 40's...

Thanks!

User Tag List