40+ and TTC SPRING on over!! - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-22-2006, 01:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Numnumom! That's so exciting! It was enough to bring ME out of lurkdom!

Another positive note: my sister is 45, has 10 children, and is now 10 wks pg w/ #11!!!

As for me, I'm on cd 30 (!). I usually have 28 day cycles, but the past couple of months have been a little weird. But not this weird. No spotting AT ALL, and a BFN this afternoon. I'm going to test again in the am w/ fmu and we'll see. I thought it was really weird that I had lots of cm way later in my cycle than I usually do (like cd 18 or so). Anyway, I've had some weird symptoms, like going into the dentist's office and feeling hit by nausea at the medicinal smell. But it's way too early for that even if I was pg. So I really don't think I'm pg. But I guess time will tell.

Liz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2006, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numnumom
Hi Ladies. I havent posted here in a while, but I wanted to say hello and let you know some good news. I am now 9 weeks pregnant. I was 47 in March! So, there is hope! We had been trying and not trying for a while. If you want details, I can tell you more and what seemed to have worked.

Anyway, did I read that Lisa in pregnant??? Congrats! WOWIE! Sending sticky baby vibes your way!!!!!!!
I wish you all lots of baby dust........
Caren
OMG! I am SO happy for you! Please, please, please - details!!!!

And Lisa? What did I miss while I was away? Can someone point me to the right page?
Old 07-22-2006, 11:37 AM

Congratulations, Caren, and welcome back. I wish you the best in your 9 month journey!

As for me, I'm on day 14 and still waiting to O.... I'm happy w/my chart so far, as my temps are relatively stable (which, according to TCM, means my hormones are stable, too).

Massaginmom, I've been reading "The Infertility Cure" by Randine Lewis. Last night I came across a section on p.76 that talked about menstrual blood that is pink and watery. It is a Spleen Qi deficiency. You should avoid sugar, refined carbs, starches, dairy, cold drinks and raw foods, and supplement with gingseng (Ren Shen), astragalus (Huang Qi) and Atractylodes (Bai Zhu).
You may want to do a bit more research...but hopefully it's a good starting place to balance your hormones.

Gotta run! Have a good day, everyone.

LegalShield Sales Representative.  (Affordable access to quality law firms throughout the US and Canada...low monthly fee!  Ask me about it!)  Mom to Justice :in doggie heaven (13 yr old Dalmatian), Single, age 47.  TTC'd for years.  Now lurking and rooting on my fellow women friends!

Old 07-22-2006, 05:02 PM

Hi girls, I will catch up later today but wanted to check in. My computer was on the fritz & I just got back online today. I love the full group we have now!
I do have to go but had to quickly say two things.. first, things are well so far with me as I am closing on 6 weeks & second
CAREN!!!!!!: : : : : : Hurray! I am so happy that you are pregnant!

See everyone..it IS possible..we are able to get pregnant as long as we are not in menopause...

Good luck to all,
Lisa
Old 07-22-2006, 07:06 PM

Thank you Ms GB I actually have a tendency to have weak spleen Qi I will take your suggestions and read up on things in my Chinese Med book. I need to call the Acupuncturist Monday and make an appt. too. I started taking Royal Jelly capsules. I am goign to use progesterone cream topically after O and I am going to cut out those things that weaken my Qi.

Laurie (46) Wife to : Mom to 4 Grandma to :
Old 07-23-2006, 12:25 AM

hi all,

haven't posted since last fall, and even then i was more of a lurker than anything else. i was very discouraged for a while and thought i was done trying. but i started accupuncture in february, and with the bfps here, i'm feeling quite hopeful. you're all inspirational.

with all the research i've done in the past year, i feel like a walking infertility encyclopedia. i'm looking to compare what's made a difference so far. for example, has anyone tried maca yet?

also wondering if anyone has shorter cycles (mine are about 24/25 days) and early ovulation (around day 9 or 10)? anyone have any luck lengthening their follicular phase a bit?

congrats on the bpfs. let's keep them coming.

-moni
Old 07-23-2006, 11:21 AM

Everyone is still sleeping so I thought I'd try to catch up! Wow, did we have a lot of posts, I went back two pages & stopped so hopefully I caught everyone!

Jempd..Belated Happy Birthday! Did you do anything special to celebrate?

Laurie, It sounds like you are really in research mode, information is always
good & I am hoping for you this new cycle.

Joan,How is the Clomid treating you? I have heard everything from "no big deal"to complete craziness as far as the mood swings go. Fingers crossed for good results.

Noordinaryspider, Welcome! Wishing you success this month & thanks for the nice quote. We always can use a reminder that babies post 40 have been the norm for a long time..we are not naive & know it may be more difficult but it is happening & everyday.

Liz,
Do you think you might have had a later O? Good luck in any case!

Summermom,
Welcome back! How did everything go? How is your sister?

MsGB(Susan),
A nice chart is a good thing. I am glad that you are seeing the evidence that
your FSH is not so terribly high. If you think about all the variables..cycle length, sperm quality, hormone levels..you know that people are getting pregnant all the time with less than "perfect" circumstances.

Bach4,
Did you figure out if your "blues" was O related?

Folaboye,
How is this cycle going for you?

Fortunategrrl(Moni),
I have been Oing day 10-12 (usually 10) since I started charting last year (my first time to do so). I have always had short cycles..23-25 days & now realize that the longer ones were when I O'd day 12, shorter when I O'd day 10. I think that 10 days while on the short side is probably an O.K follicular stage. The bigger concern is the other end. I did try soy supplements to boost the egg but other than higher temps it didn't seem to change my cycle (Soy, the theory goes, is supposed to act as a natural Clomid. I don't know whether I believe it does anything! Anyway, I'd guess that an RE would try you on Clomid if she/he thought your follicular stage was an issue. On a side-note: I have had 4 kids with the short cyles-early O thing and am currently pregnant from a day 10 O.

Hey Caren..what's with the big tease? Where are these details!

EXHALE... ,
Hello also to my friend Velveteen, how are things going?
Hi to Anamom..we miss you & to Polka..come back again! And to anyone else I unintentionally missed..apologies!

take care everyone,
Lisa
Old 07-23-2006, 02:49 PM

Hi everyone! Thank you so much for all of the great wishes. Liz- that is amazing about your sister...I wish her all the best. Wow! 11!

I got preg this time exactly the same way I got preg the last time with my dd! We were not really trying for the last couple of months- we would bd only when I felt I had ovulated- no testing or anything. When I felt mittleshmetz pain (spelling?) we bd. Not before at all. We were only doing this for a couple of months. The same thing happened with my last dd. We had stopped trying, took a break from the pressure and bd only when I felt I had already ovulated.
Another important thing I was doing, but not for ttc, was I changed my diet somewhat. And I had done this 1 month before I had conceived my last dd, too. I was eating mostly macrobiotically. Very limited foods. I was doing it for health reasons. I always feel better and more energetic when I eat this way. I was eating oats, nuts, bean soups, brown rice (mountains of it!), miso soups, tofu, lots of nori sea vegetable, wild salmon (this would not be on a macrobiotic food plan, tho), tons of greens and fruits. That was pretty much it. I was eating this way for a couple of weeks/months before I got preg this time and for about 1 month before I got preg last time. I was careful about everything I put into my mouth. Im older, I have small children, and I want to live a healthy life- hopefully a long one! I did not expect to get pregnant! But I was really doing the same thing the last 2 times I got preg. I think probably there is a connection. Im trying to be careful now about what I eat, but many of those foods dont appeal to me at all, but once this nausea subsides I plan on going back to that kind of diet.
What do you think about this? Probably diet plays a big role in fertility. Has anybody tried this kind of thing?
Caren
Old 07-23-2006, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunategrrl
also wondering if anyone has shorter cycles (mine are about 24/25 days) and early ovulation (around day 9 or 10)? anyone have any luck lengthening their follicular phase a bit?

-moni
Forgive me for not being up to speed on who's tried what yet--I was having some short cycles, 24/26 days with O around cd 9 or 10. Even though I was getting a temp surge and a postivie opk, my ob & midwife felt that I wasn't ovulating consistently. Basically, although there was an Lh surge, it wasn't enough of one to make a difference.

(Which is why I'm on clomid this cycle.) I did try vitex for about a year. Apparently, that didn't do the trick for me--but maybe it's something to look into.

Lisa, no problems with the clomid until the end of day 2. Now I'm getting hot flashes, nausea, had a huge fight with dh last night, which would have been a small issue otherwise, I believe. Feeling weepy. If I had to make a decision right now, I'd say I'm not doing this again, but who knows what I'll be feeling in a few days/weeks.

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

Old 07-23-2006, 08:51 PM

Hello All,

I finally got my coverline today3dpo, after I have loose up of Oing. It's nothing to be happy for but to keep the : for and :

Old 07-23-2006, 11:24 PM

Checking in....

CD 32, no af, just a little cramping and a barely visible bit of blood on the tp (I had to really focus to even see it!). This is so weird for me. I had cm late in my cycle (around 18th day) which is unusual for me. And we just so happened to dtd about that time. But those 2 bfn's Fri afternoon AND Sat morning don't look too good. If I ovulated late, and did get pg, how long before I could expect a pos pg test? I can't test tomorrow am bc I am out of tests. I've been feeling weird pains down there, and feeling very bitchy, and feeling fat, but of course all those things could be either af or pg. Guess I'll just wait.

Numnumom, . Great job with the diet--I don't think I could do that. My life is too crazy as it is to try to change anything that major. But I am so glad to hear about your pg!

Mamaov4, congrats to you too! How old are your other kids?

Liz
Old 07-24-2006, 12:15 AM

Wow! I had checked in before but somehow not figured out that Lisa was pregnant. Lisa, that is so wonderful. Congrats to you. I will be thinking good thoughts for you. You so deserve it (don't we all).

Caren, thanks so much for posting your encouraging news! Wishing you the very best also.

My mom was born when her mom was 46 and (grandma had her brother when she was 43). Since my mom had her last period at 56, I am really hoping long-lived fertility is in my genes.

Meanwhile, I am frustrated by an ovarian cyst this cycle. I went in to have an ultrasound hoping to get the all clear to start injectible meds and they told me I had a cyst. I felt so discouraged! Not until I started fertility treatments did I have any issues but a luteal phase defect. Now I've had two anovulatory cycles and now a cyst. Has anyone had a functional cyst that you knew of (you usually don't even know unless you're being monitored with ultrasound). how long did it take to go away. RE office said it may go away when period starts, or I may have to wait a cycle or so. Very frustrating since I haven't ovulated for about 2 months now and I just go off BCPs they put me on. I will go in tomorrow (Mon) to see if it has resolved and if not I will have to wait another cycle at least. Grrr.

On the other hand, I am delighted with the good news around here.

Hello to everyone.

Take care, all!

AnaMom
Old 07-24-2006, 12:01 PM

Anamom, sorry, no help here about the cysts. Now if you wanted info on miscarriages, I'm an expert : unfortunately.

I'm trying to think about something else besides myself, but it's a little difficult right now. I'm on cd 33 . Last night right before bed I got red blood on the tp--no mucuous, just plain blood. I wiped a few times and got a streak each time. So I was sure I'd be gushing in the morning, but nothing except some brown mucuous after straining a bit going to the bathroom (sorry tmi ladies). I'm still getting cramps off and on, but nothing serious. Does this sort of thing happen in beginning menopause? I'm only 42, but I know it's possible. I did have cataracts in my 30's, and have had foot troubles for years, so maybe I'm just aging early? This has really got me stumped. I guess I'll go out and buy some more pg tests, but I keep thinking I won't bother since I think af is about to come any second. It's kinda tricky bc you have to ask at the counter for pg tests at our $ store, and I don't want my kids to know or the clerk, if it happens to be someone I know (small town, you know). Isn't it stupid you have to ask at the counter? As if you're going to use them for some evil purpose. I wonder if they have a limit as to how many you can buy .

Well, I do keep track of you ladies, even though I post rather erratically. Sorry I'm into so much navel-gazing, but I'm having trouble thinking about anything else.

Take care everyone. Keep us in the loop, Caren and Lisa. We want to know how you're doing.

Liz
Old 07-24-2006, 12:05 PM

Anamom,
Hi! Thanks for the well wishes. I am sure you are frustrated. As far as the cyst thing goes I know I have had them within the last year or so. In my case I really felt them & the whole area was tender. Mine resolved themselves
by the end of the cycle (I actually think I had one during my last cycle).I hope that yours resolves itself & you can move on.

Good luck Liz!

Folaboye..congrats on getting your cover.

Joan..
Hugs to you. Our own hormones can play enough havoc,I am sorry Clomid is treating you roughly. I hope you reap the rewards.

Caren,
Hmmm...I though I was being good by cutting my chocolate consumption way down & getting rid of sugar in general. I don't think I am capable of that diet...I eat lot's of fruits & veggies but love my pasta..just keep it brown. Also I live in Wisconsin so can't give up cheese!

Here's hoping for more good news soon...
Lisa

Just saw your post Liz...the end of a cycle can surely drive you batty. I have wavered so many times about to HPT or not. Everyone at my local pharmacy undoubtably knows me as "that crazy HPT lady".
Old 07-24-2006, 01:37 PM

Hi Numnumom! You may not remember me, from this thread way back last late summer/early fall, but I remember you. Anyway, I'm thrilled for you! How do you feel?

I have heard of red clover, and thanks for the site link. I'm going to check it out. Have ordered some infertility-related books from Amazon. My mother had her last (4th) baby over 40, so I had always thought this was not as rare as it's often made out to be.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:57 PM

Anamom the only cyst I have ever had (that I know of) was discovered at my 15 week ultrasound with DS. They said it would go away on its own and it did but I have no idea when. The midwife said I probably tried to release 2 eggs that cycle before I got PG. ??? Who knows. I wouldn't let it bother me. When do you go back?

Old 07-24-2006, 11:12 PM

Hi all. I know, I know, it isnt an easy diet. I usually keep it up as long as I can before I change my eating habits again. I go on and off the macrobiotic wagon. : I am a vegetarian wannabe- dh is a veg. I just cant do it.

I remember you, Jempd- youre in Brooklyn, right? I go to the Bklyn Birthing Center on Ocean Ave. (its near T) How are things going? I think over 40 isnt so rare- but everything you read would make you think so.

Anamom- that is pretty good news about your mom having babies in her 40's.
I would think it would be good news for you. How old are you now?

Liz & Lisa- you crazy hpt lady! I have read that there are sites that people buy them in bulk on the internet. I almost started doing that, but those hpts make me a crazy person.

Caren
Old 07-25-2006, 12:12 AM

Hi everyone. Anamom, sorry to hear about the cyst. I've never had one and don't care to, either.

Good luck, Liz. I hope it's not the dreaded start of "m", but instead that you are pg. :

I have a question for you gals. When should I start taking Prometrium? I finally surged (OPK) this am and had my IUI this afternoon. Do I wait for 3 days of higher temps to confirm O? The pharmacist put on the bottle: "Do not take this medicine if you are pg or trying to become pg". Hmmmm? That must mean don't take it during the follicular phase?:
Please advise.

LegalShield Sales Representative.  (Affordable access to quality law firms throughout the US and Canada...low monthly fee!  Ask me about it!)  Mom to Justice :in doggie heaven (13 yr old Dalmatian), Single, age 47.  TTC'd for years.  Now lurking and rooting on my fellow women friends!

Old 07-25-2006, 12:21 AM

mamaov4 - thanks for the encouraging info about short cycles working just as well. and congratulations on your pregnancy. i remember you from this thread last fall. nice to come back to see your success.

joan - i've been seeing an accupuncturist since february and she doesn't think clomid is a good idea for my body type. i take a supplement (one of many) that has some vitex in it, but i think i read somewhere that vitex was good for luteal phase defects, not follicular phase issues? at this point i've experimented with most everything, so i thought i'd give soy a try. my temps did do a very odd, high jump recently, but i thought it was due to the fact that it's cursedly hot in minnesota and i haven't turned the air on (until today. can't take it anymore).

numnumom - i've completely changed my diet according to the tcm diagnosis from the accupuncturist. sounds alot like what you're eating. basically brown food (brown rice, whole grains), green food, fermented food (miso, yum), no dairy (supposedly especially bad for cysts), and absolutely nothing cold. in other words, the cold pizza for breakfast diet had to go. now it's lots of cooked vegies, especially yams (i'm so sick of yams i could choke), lots of oily fish, lots of olive oil, etc. and black: black rice, black sesame seeds, etc... i have to confess, i cheat though. i can't NOT do ice cream every once in awhile. it's too hot. and we're right next door to wisconsin for goodness sake, so cheese is necessary every once in awhile too. and that's probably just the reason i haven't gotten pregnant yet.

does anyone else do that? the "jinx myself, if i could only do everything perfect, and i'm sure i'm doing something wrong" thing? i'm so torn between being zen and knowing in my heart that the universe has a plan for me that could very well include more children, or uber-angsting about every little thing i might be doing or not doing wrong since time is not on my side. thank goodness for yoga. now if only i could get myself to do more than just WATCH the dvd...

-moni
Old 07-25-2006, 12:49 AM

Quote:
now if only i could get myself to do more than just WATCH the dvd
At least you got yours out of the box...

BTW..if only "perfect" people got pregnant I would fear for the human race...
you are doing just fine...

Lisa
Old 07-25-2006, 12:52 AM

MsGB,
I would think you could follow the 3 day rule, just to make sure you have actually O'd. Good luck!
Lisa
Old 07-25-2006, 11:24 PM

Hello there...
Didn't want us to get lost. I am starting week 7 tomorrow, historically this is make or break time for my pregnancies. Feeling nervous but trying to continue taking each day as it comes. I am one of those women who never has morning sickness & my breasts haven't ever hurt since pregnancy # 1 so..no great symptoms for comfort. I do have a nice little pooch so hopefully that is something. I need to find a midwife or OB..just haven't been in a rush as I am not eager to see that "geriatric" label on my chart ...I am hoping not to automatically be termed high risk but given my history that may be nearly impossible.

Continued great luck to all of you.
Lisa
Old 07-25-2006, 11:28 PM

Sad news--my 45 yr old sister (mother of 10) just miscarried her 11th at 11 wks .

CD 34 for me, still just light spotting and light cramps. Yesterday afternoon hpt was bfn. Is there any possible way I could be pg and still getting a bfn at this late date? Spotting has been going on for about 48 hrs, either brown or watery pink. Does anyone have any idea what could be going on? I'd appreciate any input.

Liz
Old 07-26-2006, 12:26 AM

Liz- Im sorry about your sister's loss. So sad. I have to admit- it makes me more than a little nervous to hear about it. But- Im more than a little nervous about this to begin with. Im happy to be in my 10th week and watching, no, staring nervously, at every pg symptom I have.

Moni- I also think youre doing great. And with the diet, too. Youre right, I was eating alot of food. Its sounds restrictive, but its a ton of food. Im not eating that way now. I hope I can go back to it later. Also- lots and lots of green tea.

Lisa- boy to I hear ya. That 7 wk point- from the beginning until about 12 weeks Im a wreck. I have very positive feelings for you for this one. Are you posting on any preg boards?
Caren
Old 07-26-2006, 03:21 PM

Hi!

Just sneaking in from other forums to say Hi!

I'm 41 and currently pregnant for the 4th time. Just wanted to send support and encouragement to my sister-mamas who are 40+ and TTC. I was beginning to think I was in peri-menopause through the winter and then suddenly in April, a positive test! I'm 19 weeks along right now and sooooo very grateful.

What did I do to get my cycles in order?

Well, I was dealing with a short luteal phase (typically 11 days but occasionally as short as 8) and still nursing my 2 1/2 year old son.

I had read about Vitex and had my thyroid levels tested by my family doctor. But what I think finally made it possible for me, by getting my cycle back on track, was taking homeopathic treatments for vaginal dryness and being treated for my life-long migraines by my doctor, who is also an accupuncturist. The last piece of the puzzle fell into place when I gave up coffee. Once the migraines were gone, I was noticing that I had a headache anytime I had coffee.

A month after all these things, I was pregnant.

I believe that it was a necessary process for me to go through to get my entire system into balance and ready for this baby.

Anyway, don't want to suck up all the time in your forum...just wanted to be supportive...

Maryhippie.gif

Old 07-26-2006, 07:54 PM

Hello Ladies

mary3mama Congrats on your pregnancy. And thanks for sneaking here to give us some supports of hope

Your words really encourages me and put my mind at rest. And I hope it will do to others. Thanks.

Liz Hey, I'm so sorry for your sister loss. Here is sending her huge

And sending you one too

Me I'm 6dpo today. If you are chance check my chart and tell me what's going one.TIA

: and
Old 07-27-2006, 09:21 AM

Fortunategrrl - welcome! I wouldnt worry so much about dietary perfection. It sounds like you're adhering to the suggestions that your acup. recommended for the most part. They say it takes several months to achieve the body balance thru TCM etc (although I suspect that we are never truly 100% in balance).

Mary3mama - hi and congratulations! It's always good to hear of another success story. We would love to hear about your journey, so please drop by and keep us posted.

I had a revelation today. I had been really pleased with my pre-O temps being stable (97.3 to 97.5 mostly), then I had my positive OPK, and the temps weren't going up, up, up, as I had expected. So this morning, I get a low reading (97.2) and think, uh, oh...this was an annovulatory cycle. Well, I pull out my other thermometer, and it reads 97.9, then 97.8, then 97.7 - but I get no "beep" confirming the temp readings. I know that I've dropped those poor things on the floor a few times, so perhaps the first one (the "stable temp" one) is broken, and the other one may not be working too well, either. So I"ll have to pick up a new one, but charting this cycle may not be accurate! I put in the 97.9 temp in my chart this a.m., and got a crosshairs from FF. I'm just hoping that I did O, and that, of course, my "new boyfriend's" sperm did the trick (Mr. Cryogenic Lab!).

Anyone taking homeopathics? I'm on UNDA 1, 10 and 48.

Finally, on a different note (you can see that I'm in a novel writing mood!), my poor pooch last night hurt her leg last night on our walk. She spotted a cat right near a parked car we were passing, and lunged...and fell (which happens a lot due to her arthritis). This time it looks like she dislocated something in her R hind quarters, so I'm trying to move up our doggie chiropractor / acupuncture visit from Saturday to either today or tomorrow, to ease the pain. (We both are taking the holistic / TCM route for our medical treatment!)

OK. I'm done for now! Wishing everyone a wonderful Thursday!
Ms GB

Old 07-27-2006, 10:34 AM

Ms GB here's hoping your "new boyfriend" is the right match for you. :
Sorry about your doggie. I hope she feels better soon

Old 07-27-2006, 11:44 AM

Thanks, Laurie! I do think that my new guy is "the one"!

Old 07-27-2006, 11:17 PM

Liz,
I am so sorry to hear of your sister's loss. Hard for you too, I am sure.
Good luck with your "new guy". MsGB. Congrats to Mary..
Best luck to everyone,
Lisa
P.S Hugs to your pooch!

User Tag List