What other factors... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-21-2003, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What other factors aside from timing and ovulation, contribute to not getting pregnant in any given month? Would it be lack of "good" CM? I'm very interested in finding this out.

Let's assume that everything is a-okay as far as CM and O go. I have a 28-29 day cycle typically. I am trying to coordinate with my traveling DH the best days to be home (he travels about 50%) and since I am new to charting and not sure exactly what is going on with my cycle in terms of O time, CM, temps, etc.

Last month, during mid-cycle, we BDed CD 11 -- hiatus due to stomach flu & travel -- and then again 16, 17, 19 and nothing happened, that's why I was not surprised when AF arrived. This month DH has to be out of town CD 11-13... UGH! We will BD the morning of the 11th and he will try and catch the red-eye back on the 13th so we can get in that night as well.

Do you think we will fare okay? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 02-21-2003, 12:18 PM

I think you are baby dancing too soon. My cycles are usually 28-29 days and I tend to ovulate on day 14-16. It sounds like you are missing your ovulation time.

I would suggest charting, because it's the only way to get a good idea of when you ovulate, unless you always have a sharp pain when the egg leaves the ovary. Charting can tell you which 1-3 days you probably ovulated.

The other concern I have, is that you are having annovulatory cycles, where no egg is released and your period is actually annovulatory bleeding. The only way to know for sure if this is happening to you is by charting.

Also make sure you are counting the first day of red blood as day 1. Most women do not know that their period is actually at the beginning of every cycle, because in a birth control pill pack your period is the last set of pills. If you are miss counting your period, then you would be BD one week too late.

I would get a copy of Taking Charge of Your Fertility asap, if you don't have one already. The author mentions that a lot of couples she worked with who were having trouble getting pregnant were never BD near ovulation, because most women do not ovulate on day 14.

Charting is a wonderful thing, and tells you so much about your cycle.

Good luck. Let me know if you have any questions.

Jennie
#3 of 10 Old 02-21-2003, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The other concern I have, is that you are having annovulatory cycles, where no egg is released and your period is actually annovulatory bleeding. The only way to know for sure if this is happening to you is by charting.
Just wondering why you thought that. I am thinking I might be too. I will be 34 in April. Is it possible that I am pre-menopausal? I started charting this month. I am on CD3. I have had normal cycles in terms of length since 7 months PP. But, they are rather heavy. I was having some mid-cycle pain until November (ovulation/cyst?) but it stopped in December. I am a little scared that maybe I am not ovulating now. Maybe I have been reading too much, or maybe not enough, but I wonder if I might have PCOS. I guess only time and charting will tell me for sure.
#4 of 10 Old 02-21-2003, 12:45 PM

Anyone can have annovulatory cycles. Sometimes you are stressed out and your body decides not to release an egg.

If your temps do not rise after ovulation, then a cycle is annovulatory.

I wouldn't stress about your cycles until you've charted for a few months. The stress might also keep you from ovulating.

Do you have TCOYF?
#5 of 10 Old 02-21-2003, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I wouldn't stress about your cycles until you've charted for a few months. The stress might also keep you from ovulating.
I could scream! It's like a bad catch-22!!!

I did get TCOYF and have been reading it. It eases my mind a bit and then I get stressed here and there. I have a compulsive personality and I think TTC has become my compulsion. I just want another baby.
#6 of 10 Old 02-21-2003, 01:23 PM

I think how much info you will want depends on how many cycles you've been charting. There are many factors besides O'ing and CM that can prevent conception/implantation--but if you haven't been "trying" that long, they may not do more than unneccessarily scare you.

My biggest gripe with TCOYF is that it mostly only focuses on O'ing and CM. That's great if you're fertile and "timing" is the only thing holding you back, but I've seen women hang on to charting way too long thinking that they must not be timing things right when there are other problems.

Other factors affecting conception:
your dh's sperm count
endometriosis
blocked tubes
poor quality eggs
your body can be too acidic and kill off sperm
low progesterone

and many more, but I can't remember them right now.
#7 of 10 Old 02-21-2003, 05:44 PM

To add to Laurel's post, you could be ovulating and have a uterine polyp (like I just did) and that could prevent you from conceiving. I knew something was up when I began having very minor mid cycle bleeding. Voila - the polyp! Which basically shot 8 months of TTC down the tubes. Now post-surgery, we TTC again.

Good luck!
#8 of 10 Old 02-21-2003, 05:50 PM

When I was ttc number 1 I read the statistic (in several different places) that even if you time everything perfect, you still only have a 25 percent chance of conceiving. Depressing isn't it.
#9 of 10 Old 02-21-2003, 06:12 PM

I am reading an interesting book, Fertility, Cycles and Nutrition by Marilyn Shannon. She discusses many influences on fertility, dietary and supplemental.
I definately think charting will help you figure things out, at least you should be able to see whether or not you have a 'normal' temp/CM pattern. I have a 28-30 day cycle and a short LP, so even though my cycle length is normal, I don't ovulate until days 19-21. Post your charts here, there are lots of really experienced charters who will help you understand them.
Good luck, my Dylan was born March 23, 2001 And I'm ready for another baby, too!!!
#10 of 10 Old 02-21-2003, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the information ladies. I am hoping it's nothing serious. I would love to have some of you seasoned charters check out my charts once they get rolling. I am only on CD3.

Quote:
When I was ttc number 1 I read the statistic (in several different places) that even if you time everything perfect, you still only have a 25 percent chance of conceiving. Depressing isn't it
beth - I've read that too, but I thought (hoped!) it was only if you didn't time it right. Yes, very depressing....

I remember when I was a young gal I thought you could get pregnant sooooooo easily. I guess that's a scare tactic for abstinence. :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page