Low progesterone and TTC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-01-2006, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I spot for about a week before AF - enough for a panty liner but usually not enough for a tampon. My OBGYN says it is due to low progesterone. Low progesterone can also make TTC a problem and the likelihood to MC. Has anyone else had this issue? What did you do? Is there natural progesterone vs. synthetic. My DH and I have decided to TTC#1 (YEAH!) as of this week so I haven't been to my doctor yet. Any imput is welcomed. Anything else I should do to prepare my body?
Kat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 05-02-2006, 06:08 PM

The problem with progesterone is that it's created by the corpus luteum after you ovulate - so if you have low progesterone it could be you aren't ovulating, or your ovulation isn't 'strong' enough, so that should be looked at first. Do you chart? That can be an independent way to check ovulation.

My progesterone was never technically 'too low' and I do get a great temp shift, however I was having lots of other signs of estrogen-dominance. Yes, there is natural progesterone cream, or the synthetic pills or suppositories. Pharmacists will tell you there is no difference chemically between the Progestin and the natural version - I'm not sure what to believe there - although you need to take a lot more unless you are using the cream, because it's fat metabolized. I still spot 2-3 days pre-AF, even on the cream. Could be dosage, could be timing, could be something unrelated. I'm pretty sure you need to take the synthetic versions for strong doses though.
#3 of 4 Old 05-02-2006, 10:05 PM

I would highly, highly recommend picking up Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler which will give you a primer in understanding and charting your cycles. I know that I run low in ovulation because the time from ovulation to my period (luteal phase) is only about 6 days, and my hair falls out quite a lot. I know I'm low because I chart! Usually a simple progesterone cream will help, you would take it after you ovulate and then for 12 or 14 days. If you're not pregnant, your progesterone would increase after you ovulate (and you'd see higher temps), until nothing implanted and then your progesterone would drop, (lower temps), and your period would start. Progesterone is the hormone that supports the pregnancy when you concieve, so if you were to get pregnant, you would continue to have higher levels of progesterone in your system. Hope that makes sense.

I hope this helps!

Kristina in Kitsap County, WA
Doula, Student Midwife, Mama, Wife & More
http://redspiral.blogspot.com
#4 of 4 Old 05-03-2006, 08:34 AM

I *think* I have low progesterone...I say *think* b/c at some point after ovulation (not sure if it was exactly 7 or 8 DPO, it may have only been a couple of DPO, so it was still rising ) I went to the doctor and got it checked..it was 7.64. My doctor was not at all concerned and thinks I'll have no problem TTC.

I noticed on Fertility Friend when looking at charts that there are women with low progesterone, on no meds, who achieve and maintain pregnancy. I did a search for "low progesterone" and "no meds" and looked at the pregnancy charts....and they're there. So it makes me feel better to know that it's not a *definite* that one cannot get and stay pregnant even with low progesterone.

As for me, I'll give it to the end of this summer, and if still not pregnant, I'll go back to the doctor (although maybe not the same one, not sure).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page