Nursing Mamas TTC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 214 Old 03-04-2003, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Before I was hoping for AF because we weren't trying, but now I'm hoping to catch that very first egg so I'm hoping for no AF.

Who else out there is in this boat? Anyone?

Here's a little scoop on me:

I'm Chrissy, married to Brian, mother of Noah- who is almost 16 months old. I've not had a period since I had Noah, which was just fine with me until right around his first birthday when I started feeling like I was ready for another baby. Since then I've had all kinds of signs that my fertility was returning- except a period!

Now that we're trying, I've started charting so I'll hopefully have some idea of what's going on.

Anybody else?

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 214 Old 03-04-2003, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi Chrissy,
I'm still nursing my 17 mos old pretty actively (6x per day) but I've had AF back since she was about 9 mos. This surprised me since she was still actively nursing and even once at night. I always thought those mamas that didn't get AF back were lucky, but now that I'm TTc I'm glad all is back to normal.
Can't help with any advice but my good friend said she was feeling all the signs of O as well but no period. She got her first period and bang-she was pregnant! (this was 2 weeks after they decided to wait for another year to TTC for another LOL)
Just wanted to wish you luck!
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#3 of 214 Old 03-04-2003, 10:20 PM

FYI I am nursing a 13-month old and got my first postpartum period when she was about 10 months old. I got pregnant after my third postpartum period.

My understanding is that once babies start sleeping longer at night (and thus reduce their nursing), your fertility is much more likely to return! So perhaps if you would like your period to return, you could reduce night nursing? (Just a thought...I don't know what your night nursing practice is now!)
#4 of 214 Old 03-05-2003, 05:16 PM

Hi Chrissy,

I am nursing my 18 month old, but only morning and night. He still loves nursing and mama hugs at night. I got my period back 5 months after he was born. It is really irregular though, between 24 & 36 days! so, I think bf'ing is affecting my o, but I still am O'ing. Impossible for me to chart due to waking for mama hugs....

Mama to 13, and 10 and 4.
#5 of 214 Old 03-05-2003, 06:52 PM

Oceanone,
Mine has been regular but it alternates between 28 days one month and 32 the next. It's been like this for about 9 mos. I know for sure when I O in the 28 day cycle but the 32 day one is a little iffier. Wierd, huh?? I'm nursing a 17 mos old OFTEN.
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#6 of 214 Old 03-05-2003, 07:13 PM

Hey, Ann, that is weird, but it's a nice rythym. My trouble is , I have no idea how long my cycle will be and when to expect O. As I can't chart I am just using the other two signs and my intuition. Last time I was much more scientific about it, but I am ok going with this for now.

#7 of 214 Old 03-06-2003, 02:32 AM

i'll join you all. i'm also trying to catch the first egg. i have had one pp at 13month. now it's 18 months and counting.

i had some spoting 29 days ago. light bleeding (no gunk) for 2 days. I was so sure it was implantation bleeding. but two tests came up BFN. maybe the spotting was af that had second thoughts?

i do have af symptoms: pimples, bloating, weight gain so i'm hoping that it will just show and then i can get it over with.

i have no pg symptoms. frustrating.

i've cut down on the day feedings (nothing from morning until late afternoon) and dd went four hours last night without wanting to nurse! this is extraodinary for my little milk junkie. she normally cannot go 30 minutes.

Chrissy, didn't you post on another thread that you had pg symptoms. are you sure you didn't already catch that egg?

~jen
#8 of 214 Old 03-06-2003, 04:19 AM

I am currently ttc #3 and bf my 28 month old dd (mostly just at bedtime and in the morning), AF showed up (finally) when dd was 24 months old and was erratic the first month (36 days), but has been 28 days like clockwork since. With my first two kids I got pg so easily that I guess I am spoiled, I just got AF today so another month to wait, I guess maybe bf is messing with my cycle too, but I just can't bring myself to wean dd before she is ready so I guess wait and hope and wish is all I can do. Good luck to all of you waiting for a +.
#9 of 214 Old 03-06-2003, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Jen,
Yeah, I was thinking that I was having pg symptoms but who knows. I bought a 2-pack of tests yesterday but I'm going to wait a week and see what happens. I'm actually thinking I might have o'ed last Thursday. I've been pretty dry with a low firm cervix since then. I just started temp'ing this week so I'll see what my temps do and if I haven't started a period and haven't had a big temp drop by next Thursday I think I'll test then.

Good luck to us all!

#10 of 214 Old 03-06-2003, 02:26 PM

Hi all - Ds is almost 14 months, no AF yet. We are TTC - if you can call it that. Sex is pretty random around here!! I wonder when AF will return, but I don't really miss it. I don't have much optimism in catching that first egg though... it took up 9 months the first time, after a little help to lengthen the lp. But, I'm not worrying about it.

I've had a few times where at night I feel crampy, and wonder if I'll see AF in the morning, but I never do. I've also lately had something that feels like O pain, but nothing has come of that either.

What a waiting game! Ds still nurses 4 - 6 times a day, and anywhere from 2 to 8 x a night.
#11 of 214 Old 03-06-2003, 04:35 PM

Hi there - I was on the 'wanting AF' thread a couple of months ago, and then found out that AF didn't appear because I was pregnant (nice surprise).

I had absolutely NO pregnancy symptoms prior to AF not showing, however...which was one of the main reasons why I thought I was just having weird cycles and didn't think I was pregnant.

I was a week late before I started to have those PMS-type symptoms that are actually pregnancy symptoms.

So...I thought I must have ovulated a week late or something. But when I went in for my scan, it turns out I ovulated a week EARLY.

So I didn't have ANY pregnancy symptoms at all until I was 2 weeks late (so 4 weeks past ovulation).

With both of my previous pregnancies, I knew I was pregnant before I took the test, because I'd had all those pregnancy/PMS symptoms.

All of that to say...you just never know. Our bodies can do strange things sometimes...

Lots and lots of baby dust to you all!
#12 of 214 Old 03-06-2003, 04:55 PM

I'm nursing ds (turns 4 next week) but usually only at night, once in a while in a.m., too, but that's it. I'm pretty sure that nursing isn't causing any of my fertility problems, though (thought I NEED to get my prolactin levels checked just to be sure ... I've been forgetting to do that!)
#13 of 214 Old 03-06-2003, 08:13 PM

I've taken two pg tests over the last 4 months or so because I felt weird - they were always negative though. Guess sometimes I am just tired, extra cranky and nauseous for no reason!!
#14 of 214 Old 03-06-2003, 11:23 PM

carolyn, thanks for dropping in to share your story. i was actually thinking of starting a thread to ask those with 2 or more pregancies if each one was more different than similar.

but i didn't because i'm trying to beat this waiting game by putting this thing out of my mind. (yeah, right)

i'm even getting anxious about you testing, chrissy. i think that the fatigue is the key symptom for me. there seems to be no getting around that one.

i know how you feel owensmom about having symptoms. i feel waves of nausea now and then which only gets my hope up. then i go days with feeling chipper. what a drag...
#15 of 214 Old 03-08-2003, 02:01 PM

Can I be in both groups? I'd love to catch that first egg, but I'll take af!

We are getting ready to try nightweaning. I think we're going to start next Friday or Saturday night. I had a talk with ds (22mos) a couple of days ago and he agreed to try it. I'm really hopeful that this will be what works and he has really been exhibiting signs that he is ready to try it, regardless of my fertility hopes.

I do think my body is gearing up to O. I've been having a revisit of some of the symptoms from last month--I'm broken out, O pains, etc. Plus, I keep thinking just how long can I go without my fertility returning??? I've come across VERY few people who have gone longer than me--the 24 monther on this thread makes me hopeful!

Maybe I'll get there in time for a Christmas baby...

Tracy

Tracy, doula and Army wife and homeschooling mama to A and E
#16 of 214 Old 03-08-2003, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

I'm anxious about me testing too Jennifer! Even though I am pretty sure I will get a BFN. Just wishful thinking I am sure. My nipples are only sore when he is nursing lots. If I got a period I would certainly be psyched!

My temp'ing has been so odd. I've gotten the exact same temp- 97.7 the last 5 mornings. Isn't that odd? I don't even get up at the exact same time- somewhere between 6 and 7. I was sure my thermometer must be broken so today I used a brand new one- 97.7! My cm is still very scant so that and my temps give me hope that I might have o'ed (because since November I have had mucho mucho cm), but then I am afraid that I am just getting my hopes up only to be dashed once again.

Citizenfong, you sound so positive right now! Good for you! I hope your nightweaning goes well and brings O too!

I hope it's sunny where yall are,

#17 of 214 Old 03-11-2003, 08:02 PM

add me.....

i haven't had a period since march of 2000! i had a dd in dec of 2000, and then didnt have a period before i was pg with my other dd, who just turned a year old! no af yet!

mel
#18 of 214 Old 03-12-2003, 01:23 AM

TTC #3 while both of my boys are still nursing..

Dispite Breastfeeding only for the first year (NOTHING, NOTHING, NOTHING but Breastmilk for the first yeat) I still managed to get AF back at 6weeks PP with #1 and 6 Months PP with #2 (and that was nuring 2 kids)

so not on the SAME SAME boat.... but almost there
Liz
#19 of 214 Old 03-12-2003, 02:31 AM

OK, this is it-the 2 week wait. I hate this part! I think we hit the "window" dead on according to all the signs so hopefully...
I really don't think nursing has affected ovulation at this point since I've been regular for at least 9 mos-but I can't help but wonder sometimes with the hormonal differences and since we're still nursing a lot (6 x per day)???
Let's hope some of us end up at the pregnancy forum soon!
(I have not visited there so I don't jinx myself! )
Ann

#20 of 214 Old 03-12-2003, 11:46 AM

Hello, all! I am officially officially TTC as of today. In just an hour, I'll have my IUD taken out. It's non-hormonal and so my Dr. told me I could concieve the night it was taken out. But...I'm not really counting on that.
DS is 15 mos and nursing ... well, I don't think I can really count. Hmmm, during the night it's down to just 3 or 4 times. I have not gotten AF back. So, I, too am trying to catch the first egg.
I'm trying not to put pressure on myself, but I feel like I have just a 6 month window to get pregnant. I teach at a University & i can take off the Jan Semester, but can not take off the September Semester. So, baby by June of 2004 would be great. We plan to stop trying at the end of September. I reallly hope we get pregnant by then. I don't really think I could stop trying once I started!
I'm temping right now & hopeful that cycles will return. Christy, I shrieked when I read your last post. I get up anywhere from 7 to 10 in the morning and my temps have been 97.7 just about every morning!!! Crazy coincidence. Guess i won't go buy a new thermometer. I've been interpreting the temp to mean that I have not O yet, but that it will come. I have had creamy, then egg white mucus then sticky or scant, but no O yet. I've read in Tony Weschler's book Taking Charge of Your Fertility, that while lactating, your body works up to O over a series of weeks, trying and trying until all the hormones line up. The good news is, we are no longer having annovulatory cycles. It's just a matter of time, I figure.
Best wishes

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#21 of 214 Old 03-12-2003, 01:52 PM

Hi Ladies! I've been gone a while, but I'm back now.
DD will be two next month, still nurses 3-4 times a day, some days much more, depending.
I got first AF at 15 months. First two cycles were anov (I am charting according to TCOYF rules).
Doc thinks I am getting fertilized, but don't have enough progesterone to sustain a pregnancy. I haven't decided whether to get bloodwork done or not, as I'm terrified of ever messing with my hormones again.
My LP has stabilized at 13 days, but doc said that you can have low prog without LPD (luteal phase defect) and that you can have LPD without low prog. he also said I might just have to wean completely before I can get pregnant, even though I am ovulating and all...
Any of you can have my AF when she's supposed to come (sometime in the next week, if I'm not pregnant)!
#22 of 214 Old 03-12-2003, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Well I am just totally depressed today. I was really thinking I might be pregnant or that at the very least I had o'ed and would get my dang period. But no. Yesterday my temp spiked up so that threw out the period theory. I was so excited and took a test (it would've been 12 dpo) and got a BFN. Today my temp is back down so that throws out the pregnancy theory.

So basically I am just still totally infertile.

I am starting to really consider nightweaning. If I am honest with myself though the main reason I would consider it would be to get my fertility back. The uninterrupted sleep would just be a nice side benefit. I really don't think Noah is ready, even though he is just about 16 months old.

I just wish I didn't want to be pregnant now. I am totally obsessing about this and it sucks.

Stafl, how depressing that your doc said you might have to totally wean to get and stay pregnant.

I will come back when I have something cheery to say. Sorry for the total downer post.

#23 of 214 Old 03-12-2003, 02:14 PM

Don't give up yet, Chrissy! Temps can do weird things in a pregnancy chart... I've seen so many of my buddies at ovusoft think AF was on her way when they got their BFPs!!!! As long as you are above coverline (one day below cl doesn't mean anything unless AF shows up) there's still hope! ((((HUGS))))
#24 of 214 Old 03-12-2003, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the encouragement Stafl. Unfortunately I really don't have any hope. I just started charting a week ago (before my possible O date) so I have no idea if I did even O. Does that make sense? I still haven't had a ppaf even though I have been having lots of hormonal stuff going on for over 4 months now.

I am in such a self-pitying place right now. I promise I will cheer up though and be back to support you guys.

#25 of 214 Old 03-12-2003, 03:25 PM

Good luck everyone. Chrissy! Don't lose hope. Today is CD 5 for me, and at least a couple of weeks before I O, which I think I am. 19 month old babe is sick this week and has been nursing, nursing, nursing. I am so glad to be able to offer him this comfort. I wonder though if it could throw things out a bit. Sometimes does. I should be wise enough not to, but I find I am pinning a lot of hopes on this month....

#26 of 214 Old 03-12-2003, 05:29 PM

Nothing major to report here, but a theory to float.

First, I am getting a little EWCM for the second time pp, so things are finally revving up, at least a little.

Ds has a cold, but assuming he's better by the end of the week we are going to start trying nightweaning on Friday night. I'm nervous but a little excited, too.

Here's my theory: my playgroup mamas and I have finally been able to begin a workout schedule this week. I'm wondering if that will have a positive effect on getting fertility to return. I mean, I know it won't have a negative effect, but after all this time I wonder if an increase in my activity level won't jump start my system a bit. The other idea floating around in my head that maybe increasing the amount of sex you have could have a positive effect. I mean, all those prostaglandins that soften up the cervix before delivery? I wonder if it couldn't have a similar effect? Just a thought. I'm sure no one really knows.

BTW, Claire--My sweet Aidan was born on his Daddy's birthday too! Isn't it neat? I've secretly fantisized that I'll have a girl on my birthday next time.

Tracy

Tracy, doula and Army wife and homeschooling mama to A and E
#27 of 214 Old 03-12-2003, 06:22 PM

So sorry about the BFN, Chrissy. I keep checking back here to see if anyone if pg...

I'd like to offer some encouragement if you're still considering nightweaning. I don't personally know your baby, but I think now would be a good age to nightwean.

I just nightweaned my 2yo about a week ago. She's doing great (the extra sleep is wonderful) and it wasn't that hard, but I often thought that it would have been easier if we had nighweaned before she could talk. Somehow, crying seems to be easier to tolerate than your poor baby saying over and over again, "nurse! nurse! please? please? please? ok? ok?" etc. It is just beyond pathetic .

Anyway, just my $.02. Good luck everyone! I'm still making daily deliveries of baby dust to you ladies!

peace, Beth
#28 of 214 Old 03-12-2003, 09:16 PM

chrissy, i was there yesterday too. i was so depressed and had the thought to test again, thinking that a positive would lift my spirits. (don't laugh) fortunately i distracted my self by picking up dd and going to the park. (i hear you on the exercising, tracy!)

this morning i noticed some spotting. it's been 35 days since my last spotting episode and (let me count) 4 months since my last af. i started day weaning my 18 month old 2 weeks ago hoping that might jump start things.

beth, i'm glad you came to visit us. i agree with you about the weaning. i decided to wean during the day because i thought it would be easier. she was wanting to nurse almost ever 15 minutes. it was like an uncontrollable nervous tick. however, since i started holding back something wonderful has started to happen. when she comes over to me (still every 15 minutes) instead of going straight to tugging on my shirt, she looks at me. *looks at me*!!! sometimes she even says hi, or sits in my lap, or gives me hug, or points to my nose, or even kisses me.

anyway... now starts my obsession with looking at my underwear every hour to see what's happening with the spotting this time, lol...

~jen
#29 of 214 Old 03-13-2003, 12:04 AM

jen

that's so sweet about your dd! A friend of mine, who weaned both kids at 2 1/2 said they always got cuddlier after they quit nursing. I love that I can just rub my dd's back now in the middle of the night and help her get back to sleep.

You all are in my thoughts all the time!

peace, Beth
#30 of 214 Old 03-13-2003, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

I am in much better spirits today. Thank you all for your support. It means a lot to know I'm not the only person in the world going through this confusion.

I decided to give the nightweaning a go. Beth, your story about your sweet dd made me so sad but also hopeful that it could work out. Can you give me some details of how you did it and how long it took? It sounds like it took less than a week. That would be awesome!

We decided that dh would sleep next to Noah and try to deal with the wanting to nurse wake ups. Turned out this was a mistake for us. Noah had his last nursing around 7:45 and was asleep by 8. I went to bed around 9:30 and he was sleeping soundly so I didn't nurse him. Dh came in to sleep at some point and slept next to Noah. Around 11:00 N woke up and wanted to nurse, dh tried to comfort him. He was pissed!! So after about 10 minutes and no calming down at all, I took over and tried to soothe him without nursing him. It took about an hour to get him back to sleep. It was very sad but not awful. He seemed more mad at me than sad, so that kind of helped. He woke up a few more times during the night and each time it took me just a few minutes (10 max) of gently patting his back and saying "shhhh" for him to get back to sleep. Really it was much easier than I thought. We'll see how tonight goes.

Jen, I too am obsessed with the contents of my underwear!

Citizenfong, I like your theory about sex and exercise. I hope it works here b/c I'll be getting a lot more exercise now that spring is here and a lot more sex now that we aren't using condoms!

Oceanone, I agree that nursing is such a wonderful help when babe is sick or sad. I know I will be so sad when it is gone for good- hope it won't be for a while yet though. Let us know when you O so we can all stress over the 2ww with you!

Hey Stafl, So what is your plan of action? Are you going to see a specialist or continue with your regular OB/GYN? I hope this is your month and you don't have to do either though!

Sorry for the epic,

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page