Weight loss before TTC????? - Mothering Forums
Trying To Conceive > Weight loss before TTC?????
kewpie-o's Avatar kewpie-o 10:31 PM 06-04-2006
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this question, but here goes.....

DH and I are planning to start TTC #1 at the end of this summer/early fall. We made this decision back in March and I told him that I'd like to get down to my "ideal weight" before getting pregnant because I want my body to be fit and healthy for growing a person.

About a year ago I started eating healthier and excercising and I have lost approx 30 lbs (I was 213 lbs and now I hover between 175-180 lbs and I'm 5'6")

I'd like to get down to 150 - 155 lbs or so before getting pregnant. I don't want to be miserably heavy throughout pregnancy, increasing my risk of gestational diabetes and other problems. I've seemed to hit a plateau with my weight loss , but I think if I really buckled down, adding more to my excercise routine and paying closer attention to what I eat, I could lose 25 lbs in the next few months.

My question: Would losing weight at that rate just before trying to conceive be in any way unhealthy? Would it mess with my chances of conceiving somehow, or maybe cause some shock to my body by losing 25 lbs in 3 months and then suddenly being pregnant?

I know I'm in no "race" to get preggy, but I'm excited to start trying and both DH and I would like to have a Spring baby.

Any stories/suggestions/experiences to share?
Thanks!
Tara

kerikadi's Avatar kerikadi 11:24 PM 06-04-2006
Tara,

First of all congratulations on your weight loss to date - that is awesome
I think trying to get closer to your 'ideal' weight is a good idea - I am doing the same thing. This is our second month ttc and I am hoping to lose a couple more pounds before I actually get pregnant.

I was a personal trainer for several years and losing weight safely without any of those wonky 'supplements' with a good diet and good exercise program is a GREAT way to get in shape before, during and after getting pregnant The better shape you will be in the better you will feel for your pregnancy and the easier it will be to recover afterwards. Keep up the good work

Keri
J-Max's Avatar J-Max 11:24 PM 06-04-2006
Congratulations! I am not much help with your questions, but am in about the same place you are. I am 5'6 and losing weight so that I can get pregnant. This will be our 4th baby. For the last 2 I have had high BP durring the whole preg with caused many problems, ending in a c-sec . I started at 218 and have lost 22 lbs so far. I hope to be 150-160 by Jan 1 and start TTC after that.

Maybe we can be wieght loss and preg buddies
nettehead's Avatar nettehead 12:58 AM 06-05-2006
Just to add my two cents.....
My sister in law tried for months TTC #2.. She was on clomid but she swears the reson she got pregnant was because she went on the Susane Summers diet and lost alot of weight.. . So good luck
meggles's Avatar meggles 02:12 AM 06-06-2006
I started really working out about 6 weeks before becoming pregnant. I probably lost a few pounds in the process, but I was of normal weight both before and after-- in the 140s and I'm 5'7.
Kharen's Avatar Kharen 02:41 PM 06-06-2006
Congratulations on your weight loss, Tara!

I am basically in the same situation as you -- losing weight over the past 18 months or so to TTC #1 in the late summer/early fall. I started out much heavier than you at 5'7", though. I've lost about 65 pounds and have kept it off, but still have about 60 to go, and I've hit a very substantial plateau. Mentally and physically, I am having a hard time getting beyond this point.

I keep telling myself I should get off at least another 20 pounds before TTC in a few months, and I do think it's healthy if it's done in a moderate way -- eating a wholesome diet and exercising consistently (but not excessively). I've heard some sources say it's safer to TTC after maintaining a weight loss for a while, but I've read an equal number of sources who say there should be no complicating factors if you weight loss results from a healthy regime.

In my case, I really think it would behoove me to get another 20 pounds off -- or whatever I can accomplish by the time we're ready. I used to have high blood pressure, but it's now normalized with the weight loss. Still, I really think it would be smarter to start a pregnancy a bit lighter.

Good luck to you!
K
brianasmith's Avatar brianasmith 02:58 PM 06-06-2006
I havent had any babies yet but every cousin sister in law and friend has had a baby except for me so i have seen alot of them. Most of them got pregnant trying to loose weight. My sister in law and my cousin both wanted to loose weight before getting pregnant so they started working out and eating EXTREMELY healthy. both of them got pregnant the second month of working out. im not sure how much my cousin weight my cousin lost but my sister in law lost 11 pounds right before. actually i think she was like 4 weeks pregnant when she stop exercising so much because the doctor said that she needed to quit focusing on loosing weight and start focusing on just being healthy. so in my opinion (which is not to educated) i think it would be fine as long as when got pregnant you stopped trying to loose weight and just tried to be healthy.
Kirsten's Avatar Kirsten 03:28 PM 06-06-2006
I was heavier with my first pregnancy (170s/180s?) and had some borderline high blood pressure, and some slight issues during childbirth. When dd1 was three, I lost 60 pounds through diet alone (going from 186 to 126) over the course of six months.

We got pregnant the first month trying (few months after my weight stabilized) so I don't think my recent weight loss caused an issue with fertility. Dd2 weighed a little less than dd1 (dd1 was 8-5 and dd2 was 7-10) but both were fine. I didn't have any pregnancy issues with dd2 or dd3.

I have recently lost some weight I'd put back on over the years. Started exercising consistently in late December - going to the gym five or six days a week. Eating healthy but with treats - I figure I deserve to have a treat here and there when I'm working out most days! I am within 10 pounds of my ideal weight. It is nice - after being all over weightwise over the years. I had always hated exercise but now I'm hooked and it has been great!

I'd go ahead and work out (finding a buddy IRL to work out with really made the difference for me) and eat healthy and get close to what you want to be weightwise pre-pregnancy. When I was pregnant, I craved stuff that wasn't necessarily great for me. But I think you can lose some now and some after baby too - it isn't all or nothing. Good luck on the TTC!!!
kewpie-o's Avatar kewpie-o 02:09 PM 06-07-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by meggles
I started really working out about 6 weeks before becoming pregnant. I probably lost a few pounds in the process, but I was of normal weight both before and after-- in the 140s and I'm 5'7.
Gee thanks, that doesn't help me any. : Hee hee hee Just kidding. Glad you're at a healthy normal weight.
Up