Mothering Forum banner

Clomid vs. injectables

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  blueridgewoman 
#1 ·
Can we discuss the pros and cons of Clomid and injectables? I'm waiting on a call from my doctor to see if I ovulated last month or not. If not, he wants to put me on Clomid.

However, I've been researching and don't know if I'm as comfortable with Clomid as I am with injectables. Seems like Clomid has a lot of emotional side effects and it has an anti-estrogen effect, which can mess up your uterine lining.

I don't have a problem giving myself injections and cost really isn't an issue since I have fabulous insurance, but what other factors should I consider?

Thank you.

See less See more
#3 ·
I've used both. Not many side effects to either for me, but if you use injectibles, you MUST MUST MUST have regular monitoring through your cycle to fine-tune the dose since you can easily overstimulate. In addition, there is a much greater risk of higher order multiples, so be ready to cancel a cycle if you overrespond. Though with Clomid, I also feel that an ultrasound before ovulation is important since some women (not me!) do produce multiple follicles with Clomid and need to know the risk of proceeding with the cycle.

Are you seeing an RE or an OB? I'd personally only do injectibles with an RE, since they have the technology (high quality vaginal ultrasounds) and process (e.g. bloodwork with same-day results) to monitor an injectible cycle properly.

#4 ·
Forgive the bad analogy....but....

Clomid is like a handgun.
Injectables are like a machine gun.

They have quite different uses really. There is, as a pp mentioned, a much higher risk of multiples (clomid only 10% at most for twins), much more monitoring (vaginal u/s and blood work potentially daily depending on how you progress), most docs won't do injectables unless you are doing an IUI as well.

Clomid doesn't have a negative affect on your uterine lining until after several cycles. The research I have done seems to agree that three back to back cycles on Clomid has no affect, and after that you should take a break. If you are seeing an RE - they probably won't do more than that anyway.

Injectables have hormonal side affects as well - anything that messes with egg production does. In addition, they carry the risk of OHSS (ovarian hyper stimulation syndrome), which is very hard to get on the primary dose of Clomid.

I agree with Lori - I WOULD NOT do injectables unless I was under the care of an RE. Frankly, if you are going to get into drugs at all, an RE is a better bet than and OB/GYN. Even on Clomid you should have some monitoring.

#5 ·
Thanks for your responses! I am under the care of an RE- I'm getting IUI and trying it naturally right now.

Actually, after I wrote this, I got the results of my progesterone test back and it was 18. She said that they liked to see at least 10 without drugs and 15 with drugs, so I'm above both of those, which is great. It doesn't look like I will need to do drugs after all, which I'm pretty happy about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.