TTC for #1 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 528 Old 09-28-2006, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hazieluna, you are really lucky to have homebirth the norm where you live. I wish it was that way here. It should be.
#62 of 528 Old 09-28-2006, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Sapphire and anyone else interested - I sewed my first diaper yesterday. It is a little rough around the edges but my DH LOVED it. What do you have in mind for covers? Or were the instructions for covers too? I have this dilemma because most covers are plastic or some type of polyester, and my husband and I both prefer more natural fabrics. That is why we reallly love the idea of diapers out of old shirts. We can buy them at good will which means our money will only be supporting the good will. We love that!

Does everyone here like snappis? See, that is the other thing, I dont like them for two reasons. 1.) synthetic material 2.) I like the looks of pins better. Anyone else feel this way? I feel like most everyone thinks snappis are great. Also, does anyone know where I might find wooden diaper pins. Obviously, the pin part would be metal.

:
#63 of 528 Old 09-28-2006, 05:09 PM

matey -- I intend to knit wool covers. I've got a pattern on its way from Fern and Faerie. Check it out. I think a lot of mamas on here use neither pins nor snappis. Some just put on the diaper and put the cover on over it. Apparently, this option is more prone to leaks. However, if you intend to do any Elimination Communication, this appears to be one of the preferred methods because it is easier to get everything off in time for the potty.
#64 of 528 Old 09-28-2006, 05:34 PM

The problem with natural fibers is they tend to be very absorbent and wick moisture right on through to the surface. Wool works well because it distributes any wetness throughout its surface rather than just leaking through at the point of greatess damp.

Personally, for covers, I'm just going to use polyester and acrylics because 1. it's barely touching the baby's skin and 2. I'm sensitive to the prickels in all wool I've been around for any length of time and 3. with ECing the baby will eventually (or sooner) be in just a diaper a great deal of the time.

I'm actually hoping to be good enough at ECing that I can start using little underpants by 6 months or so. They absorb one pee so they're a good option for once I'm able to catch poops consistently. (okay, dream world, I never have to change a poopy diaper )

Regardless of methods/materials, the key is to change the babies diaper quickly, but we all knew that already.
#65 of 528 Old 09-28-2006, 05:45 PM

Re: Snappis. Having used safety pins (never seen wooden ones, but have own all metal myself) to pin a waistband I can tell you they're *very* hard to use. I had to suck in my waist to put the pins in because that was the only way they wouldn't be much too loose. That's why people love snappis, they're easier. You can just put the diaper comfortably on the baby and attach the snappi with just one hand while the other holds things in place.

I always thought there might be something that could be done with the metal clasps like they have on bandages.

Also, if you're using a cover, you don't need to fasten the diaper.

With fitted diapers you could definitely add snaps if you were so inclined.

You know, if pins didn't work for you, which they will.
#66 of 528 Old 09-28-2006, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I got the most awesome score at the Thrift shop today! A Mother-Ease one size diaper with 3 snap in liners and a small Mother-ease cover - for $4.00!!! And they look like they haven't been used or even washed!

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#67 of 528 Old 09-28-2006, 08:06 PM

I've been sewing my own diapers too and they are so cute and fun! I'm also knitting wool covers-I'm very partial to natural fibers and most especially wool. I have several of the Little Turtle Knits patterns and I love them! They are cute, fast, and the patterns are very easy to read.

I haven't really figured out the snappi vs pins yet since I don't have a wiggly child to try them out on though!

I'm really glad to see other people in my boat making diapers though-I was starting to feel silly making diapers when I don't even know when our first little one will show up!

Jessica-Wife to Tim and SAHM to DS (6/07) and : due 4/10
#68 of 528 Old 09-28-2006, 08:15 PM

TTC #1 here as well. I'm at 13DPO now, had a BFN yesterday and will test again tomorrow unless my temps drop and/or AF shows up. This is my first cycle TTC.

I've been taking Vitex to lengthen my LP, and being at 13DPO right now is either because of that, or from pregnancy, or something else is going on.

I've only told 2 of my best friends that we're TTC. My sister is my best friend and I haven't even told her, because I'm afraid she'll tell our mother. I don't want our families to know because I don't think I could handle other people being aware of our private life, especially if we end up having problems (knock on wood!).
#69 of 528 Old 09-28-2006, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Becky-I do not envy your place in the cycle, only because it is such an up and down time. "I could be pregnant" "I'm not pregnant" :
I believe tomorrow will start my TWW, which is so exciting
My poor DH is getting a little tired of the planned BD, but I think it made him feel better when I told him it was common to feel that way.
#70 of 528 Old 09-28-2006, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

On diapering--
I have looked into this so much, and now I feel like I am completely starting over. Oh well, at least I have time!
#71 of 528 Old 09-28-2006, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matey View Post
Hi Becky-I do not envy your place in the cycle, only because it is such an up and down time. "I could be pregnant" "I'm not pregnant" :
I believe tomorrow will start my TWW, which is so exciting
My poor DH is getting a little tired of the planned BD, but I think it made him feel better when I told him it was common to feel that way.
I asked DH if he wanted to know when I was Oing and when would be a good time. I hadn't really been saying anything to him because he tends to get stressed out when he feels like he is under pressure. When AF showed last month, he was sad and said he didn't understand why we were having such a hard time. I explained that 5 months, especially when I was just coming off BCP, was not a long/hard time to get pregnant! Anyway, it bothered me how sad he seemed, so later I brought it up to him. He said, no don't tell him -- just jump him This worked fine this month!
#72 of 528 Old 09-28-2006, 09:58 PM

And by the look of your chart it worked very well indeed. Oooo, I wish it was already next week, are you going to POASaturday or be good and wait?
#73 of 528 Old 09-28-2006, 10:24 PM

I'm thinking I'm going to POASaturday. I am in a situation, for the 2nd cycle in a row, where I will not be in the same place as my husband during the latter half on the tww. I am flying to CA next Wednesday, along with about 10 members of my extended family, for the 88th birthday of my great-aunt. So, I'm kind of hoping to get a BFP before I go, because I'm thinking all these family members will figure it out if I am around them, and I'd like to have some time to talk with DH about it before I talk to anyone else!
#74 of 528 Old 09-29-2006, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenegirl View Post
I asked DH if he wanted to know when I was Oing and when would be a good time. I hadn't really been saying anything to him because he tends to get stressed out when he feels like he is under pressure. When AF showed last month, he was sad and said he didn't understand why we were having such a hard time. I explained that 5 months, especially when I was just coming off BCP, was not a long/hard time to get pregnant! Anyway, it bothered me how sad he seemed, so later I brought it up to him. He said, no don't tell him -- just jump him This worked fine this month!
That's what I plan on doing. Just jump DH and see where it takes us. He knows about the time I'm O'ing because he reads my chart as well as I do! I think I've trained him too well in the world of womanly things...No, seriously I like that he knows my chart.

As for the birth, DH and I are totally going for a homebirth. In VA, CPMs are legal as well as waterbirths, and we're moving to VT anyway and they are very homebirth friendly. I'm so blessed to have that. After all the stories I've told DH about clients in our office and also online with really crappy birth stories and c-sections and epidurals gone wrong (two women told me that they were numb to the top of their heads and lost all bodily control, another had to have the catheter from the epidural surgically removed and I've seen the scar days after in our office!!! : ) so he doesn't want me anywhere near a hospital or an OB unless there really is a problem and I agree. We want to do cloth diapers and I thought that making them would be nice, but since I don't know how to use a sewing machine and buying one and learning to use it wouldn't be cost effective for us, I've decided to just buy the prefolds, covers (either Imse Vimse or Bummis) and some of the BumGenius! diapers (they're pocket diapers that are one-size fits all!) for night time diapering. That is my wish for birth and diapering...:

Kemi wifedreads.gif to Jeffdh_malesling.GIF mommy to Rohan h20homebirth.gifROTFLMAO.gif 1/3/09 and Narenhomebirth.jpg(transfer to hospital) blahblah.gif  10/22/10. Pregnant with stork-girl.gif

****5****10****15****20****25****30****353rdtri.gif***40 (Hospital BC w/CNMs due to GD)

#75 of 528 Old 09-29-2006, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

It has been really hard for me to guess on ovulation. One month I oed on day 15 and the next month I oed on day 19! The previous norm was the 17 or 18. So, this month I didnt know what to do, so I jumped him around the 15, but I think I wore him out. I didnt drop as low this month as usual at o and didnt really know if I was oing, and so last night he was just like, I have nothing left, and I was so sad. And then this morning I took temp, and SO sad, it did go up, so I guess I oed yesterday officially. We did bd the night before at like midnight, and I told him maybe we could try today, so there is still a chance right? I feel so bad! But then I think, well the last two months we did it on o day and nothing. But we havent done it the day after ever, so maybe that is where the magic is. What do you guys think?????
#76 of 528 Old 09-29-2006, 10:11 AM

Could be. It takes a while for the egg to leave the fallopian tube after O so theres a chance more spermies could get to the egg if the first few batches aren't already there.
#77 of 528 Old 09-29-2006, 02:37 PM

Hello everyone:

Mind if I join in? Dh and I are ttc #1 and have been on and off for our entire marriage (5 1/2 years) - more to the point we haven't been preventing that whole time. Have tried the conventional medical route to some extent and we HATED it. Right now we're seeing a naturopath and we absolutely love her. She's the first doc who has helped us tailor a plan to our needs and I feel like some real progress is being made, finally. Dh is a ff/paramedic who believe it or not is the driving force behind our going more organic and to a more natural lifestyle. The one hang up that we have is that when we get pg - I would LOVE a home/water birth and he wants me to be as close to medical intervention as possible 'in case.' Having a bunch of people yelling at me to push and holding my legs up over my head is not at all appealing so, it's a discussion we're going to have to have when the time comes. I want our childrens' births to be given the respect and dignity they deserve, not to be treated as a medical non-event for the dr. delivering his 5th baby that day. : Anyway, I digress, we still need to get that bfp before any of this is an issue.

I also post on the ttc 12+ months thread, hope it's ok to join here as well.

~T | head-strong ap mama to 2 fur-kids | TTC since 2001 | remembering angel2.gif 8/00, angel1.gif 5/04, angel1.gif 1/07 & fur-kids, Apollo (04/03-12/09) & Bella (04/06-06/12)
#78 of 528 Old 09-29-2006, 02:43 PM

Nonsense, start on him now. Dh wasn't too sure about homebirth when I mentioned the idea to him, but now he's got no problems. Never even had to argue with him or have him read anything, I just started telling him I wanted a homebirth the first time kids came up when we were dating.

Just keep mentioning how you want a homebirth from time to time. Then when you get pregnant (soon!) the groundwork will be laid for a more concrete discussion.
#79 of 528 Old 09-29-2006, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Find a good book about it. That stats are there to support you and hospital horror stories help too. Home birth is the way to go and after he reads about it, he will see how it is actually better.
#80 of 528 Old 09-29-2006, 07:41 PM

Make him read Birth as an American Rite of Passage by Robbie Davis-Floyd. It is very interesting in the way it treats general hospital procedures. If he knows what normally happens in hospital birth then he might be more inclined to stay away from it. I honestly didn't know there were so many standard procedures (even for "natural birth") until I started researching.
#81 of 528 Old 09-30-2006, 09:04 AM

Hi ladies,

So I'm on 15DPO right now. I tested negative on 12 and 14DPO. Anyone want to check my chart (in my signature) and tell me what you think? I'm taking Vitex to lengthen my LP so that's why I could be going this long ... or it could be something else. It's kind of making me crazy at this point... I either want my BFP or I want AF to hurry up and show up so we can get started on next cycle!
#82 of 528 Old 09-30-2006, 12:09 PM

Yeah, it's the vitex. I had the same problem with progesterone cream.

I'd wait until Wednesday morning to test again.

Nice clear ovulation there, and you're temps look great.
#83 of 528 Old 09-30-2006, 01:01 PM

Becky, I agree with Sapphire, it's the vitex. Anything that supports/supplemetns progesterone production will do that. If you are taking it to lenghten your luteal phase, it's good. It messed with my head this past cycle too. Good luck!

Selectively vaxing, extended breastfeeding WOHM to Cjoy.gif (2/09), who was conceived naturally after TTC for 3 years and failed IVF.  TTC #3 in '11. Married to my best friend A love.gif.  Baby #2 angel1.gif (1/2011)
#84 of 528 Old 09-30-2006, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

How do you know if you need to lengthen your LP? I read somewhere over 12 days is normal, or good, but what is too short?
#85 of 528 Old 09-30-2006, 03:17 PM

Under 10. 10 is borderline and if you've got other signs of progesterone deficiency, for instance, temps not increasing much after O, then you'd want to consider boosting your LP.

Even with help, LPs should only run to 16 days at most. Any more than that means that ovulation didn't happen or didn't happen when you thought it did.
#86 of 528 Old 09-30-2006, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

According to FF, I did ovulate. This month has been all screwy and I am not impressed with my chart temps at all. I cant tell when I ovulated on my own chart at home, but could someone look at my chart and tell me if the FF ovulation prediction seems correct?

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/162979

Sapphire - You are so knowledgable all this stuff. I am so glad you are on here.
#87 of 528 Old 09-30-2006, 03:45 PM

Looks more like you O'd on CD19. My guess is that with either tomorrow's temp or the day after, FF will move the crosshairs.

Try not to go insane in the TWW!
#88 of 528 Old 09-30-2006, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

That is what i thought too (day 19 that is). This is my first time using FF, so I dont really know what all it does, so thank you. Do you have a membership with FF sapphire?

I dont think I will go too crazy this time. I am not very hopeful, since we missed O day and the day after. My dh feels bad. He has been off and on sick with cold and allergies, amd he thinks this played into feeling drained this month. Oh well. I guess we will just wait and see. There is always next month (and all the following months).

My brother-in-law get married in march and I told him I wanted to be pregnant by his wedding. It feels like that is not going to happen, and I am sad. I think i am just feeling down today from missing vital bd days, but I guess people get pg all the time and it doesnt HAVE to be on o day. I hate the overwhelming sadness every month more than anything. It always feels like I failed.
#89 of 528 Old 09-30-2006, 04:31 PM

And the hormones post O don't help matters any either.

My chart's in my sig if you want to see some loopy temps.
#90 of 528 Old 09-30-2006, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
Yeah, it's the vitex. I had the same problem with progesterone cream.

I'd wait until Wednesday morning to test again.
*sigh* You're probably right. I was hoping this was it. Oh well.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page