Pre-TTC - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-13-2003, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there! DH and I are planning to start TTC in about a year. In the meantime, we're trying to get informed and change some of our habits so that we can be ready to get pg.

We don't smoke at all, and very rarely drink, maybe one drink every three weeks or less, so that won't be hard for either of us to give up. DH likes his caffiene in the morning coffee, but is willing to cut back. I drink diet soda occasionally, but should be able to cut back.

What we do need to do in the next 12 months:

-eat better We've both done WW and had success but are definitely off the wagon right now.
-exercise We've got a great YMCA right next door but haven't been going much. Need motivation!
-stretch! Want to start Pilates again or learn yoga.

Any other advice for that pre-conception time? What would you have done differently? Books to read? Anybody else out there not yet TTC?

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
#2 of 12 Old 04-13-2003, 04:25 PM

Have Fun! Don't worry if it doesn't happen exactly when you want it to. See a chiropractor to get your body ready of course and start informing yourself and your dh about things such as vaccinations, medical interventions, circumcision, etc. There is a lot of information out there.

Good luck!

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

#3 of 12 Old 04-13-2003, 10:39 PM

You're definitely on track for getting healthy-great for you! I'm not sure about specific books in the health area but specific to TTC you should get the book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" by Toni W...? It's the best book out there IMO about TTC and understanding your fertility. And a yr in advance is not too early to read this book!
Good luck!!

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#4 of 12 Old 04-14-2003, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
For eating better, the thing that made the biggest difference for me was planning meals around the vegetables instead of the meat or the starch. You can motivate this by buying a lot of fresh produce, so that you have to use it before it goes bad!

I think this is a good time to start reading about parenting and thinking and talking about things like daily routines, discipline, birthing options, schools, etc., etc. This way you have plenty of time to discover any disagreements w/DH now and work thru them before you have a baby. Also, it's just fun to plan ahead!

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#5 of 12 Old 04-15-2003, 11:24 AM

Welcome, Thalia! I am in my final 2 month stretch before *officially* TTC. You should visit our "Not Mamas...Yet" Tribe thread over in Finding Your Tribe.

I've really been trying to work my exercising into high gear (of course, not too high). I'm kind of an adrenaline junkie when it comes to sports, so trying to get my fill before some of that becomes not an option. I want my endurance to be pretty high so I can continue some stuff into pregnancy, and not fall off the wagon cuz I can't hang.

Well, enjoy your next year, it will go fast!

-Sheryl

Mama to DD 8 blahblah.gif and  3rdtri.gif EDD 5/21/13 joy.gif

#6 of 12 Old 04-15-2003, 12:10 PM

I read this article once in my local paper about a woman in England who had this amazing success rate with couples who had previously been considered "infertile." (Since you're not yet TTC, you obviously aren't in the "infertile" category, but I think this info is really interesting.) She had them eat organic foods exclusively and NO caffeine and NO alcohol. I think she had something like a 90% success rate.

Then again, I get pregnant with a single try! So what do I know from trying to conceive?
#7 of 12 Old 04-15-2003, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice, everybody!

adventuregirl--Thanks! I've been wondering where all the not-yet-mamas were hanging out! I asked about that in the Pleased to Meet you forum but no one knew where to point me...

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
#8 of 12 Old 04-15-2003, 08:23 PM

if you haven't already, start reading about the *birth* and looking into what your options are and what kind of care you want. the health issues go without saying, though i will say i am a firm believer in exercise, exercise, exercise for an easy pregnancy, birth, and postpartum experience.
lots of luck!
#9 of 12 Old 05-03-2003, 11:44 PM

I recommend interviewing midwives or OBs, while you still have plenty of time. That way you won't feel all rushed to find someone with the stick turns blue!
Good luck ttc!
Katie
#10 of 12 Old 05-05-2003, 07:17 PM

If you have anything you need or want to do that's incompatible with TTC, pregnancy, or breastfeeding, do it now! I updated my tetanus shot before TTC, and I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it now while bfing. Other examples: dental work and x-rays, raw fish (sushi), fish with high levels of methylmercury, dangerous physical activities (rockclimbing and such), painting (fumes), alcoholic beverages, etc. As a first-time mom I was really really careful about these types of things; it would have been good to have a last hurrah though before TTC!

Also, I've read that high-fat diets a year pre-pg have been linked to morning sickness. I didn't have a particularly high-fat diet and I had terrible morning sickness for 5 months (couldn't work or do anything really), but hey, it's worth a shot!
#11 of 12 Old 05-05-2003, 07:19 PM

Just thought of another thing, related to picking out an OB or midwife. Pick out your hospital or birthing center (unless you want a homebirth)! Usually OBs and MWs are affiliated with one birthing center or hospital, so that was my first step in picking my care provider.
#12 of 12 Old 05-06-2003, 09:31 PM

Eating right and taking pre-natal vitamins (at least get 400mg/day of folic acid) are important.

Also since it took me a year and a half to conceive, I would definitely suggest you start keeping track of your cycles to see how regular they are and if you can spot your ovulation signs. Taking Charge of your Fertility is an excellent resource.

Good for you looking into this so early!
Good luck!

Alaskan Mom to 2 boys

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page