Color of the cervix - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-20-2006, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know that during pregnancy the cervix becomes a bluish color. Does anyone know when this starts? And what color is the cervix normally? Is it the same color as the surrounding flesh or is it lighter?

With my last child the midwife did a pap at 9 weeks and mentioned that I was "nice and blue". She said that even if she didn't know I was pregnant she'd be able to tell from how blue I was. So now I'm sitting here with my temps taking a leap of more than half a degree starting at 6 dpo. And I'm wondering, if I could get a look at my cervix would the color tell me anything? Especially at only a few days past possible implantation.

I'm not really obsessing too badly, mostly just wondering if anyone has tried anything like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2006, 07:15 PM

I'll be watching to see what you find out! I've wondered about this also, and just this morning was thinking of calling a good friend who's a midwifery apprentice to ask if I should get a speculum I'm pretty sure it's the same color as the surrounding tissue, or similar, when it's not blue. what I don't know is, how blue does it really get? without having looked at lots of them (ok none at this point ) will I be able to tell? and like you said, when does it happen? I'm sure it's gradual... I'll post again if I find out anything!

Julia, treehugger.gifintactlact.gif homebirth.jpg  mom to jumpers.gif blogging.jpg lefthandedinarighthandworld.wordpress.com

Old 10-20-2006, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I actually got some time to do a little research. It seems the blue color related to pregnancy is called Chadwick's Sign, after the physician in the 1800's who first noticed it. It can also happen if the uterus is "congested" (though I'm not sure what that actually means), but the usual cause is pregnancy. It is usually seen by 6-8 weeks, but I couldn't find anything about if it appears earlier. I suppose no one is generally looking earlier .

I also read that the cervix is usually pink or red, depending on the person's age. So I guess if I can get a look at it and it's more blue than pink, maybe there's someone in there. Or my uterus is congested . Maybe I can get dh to check for me. He likes to help .

But if anyone has any experiences with checking the color early, feel free to chime in.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I was wondering this, too, when I was pregnant this past spring. I am a doula, so went onto the midwife/doula/childbirth educator's forum and asked. The midwives told me that Chadwick's sign is seen at it's earliest at about six weeks. The uterus gets a different feel, too, when palpated (oh, heck, I knew that name, too, and now I've forgotten it...I think it starts with an "H"). My OWN midwife told me this with my son's pregnancy. As in, "well, if the test hadn't already come back positive, it sure does FEEL like a pregnant uterus...nice and soft..."

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

Old 10-21-2006, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've never heard of Chadwick's earlier than 6 weeks either. Unfortunately. Your cervix is a slightly different (deeper) colour than the surrounding tissue. If you do get ahold of a speculum, you are going to need some practice to see your own cervix while manipulating the spec and the mirror while not blocking any light and contorting your body. I still haven't got the hang of it. My first attempt resulted in a spec flying across the room. While, not quite, but it popped out, snapped shut, and both surprised and hurt me. So, yeah, don't let go of the spec, even if you do need a third hand to grab the mirror. Number one tip: go *way* posterior/towards your tailbone with the speculum. It is interesting to see.
Katia

For greater things are yet to come...

User Tag List