Fallopian tube HSG testing - Mothering Forums

#1 of 9 Old 11-02-2006, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
has anyone undergone this test? I am having one today and the Dr. told me I might have some cramping. Did anyone else have this occur, and how severe were your cramps if you did?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 11-02-2006, 02:05 PM

I had one done on Tuesday - it *was* crampy, but not too bad. The worst part was the pinchy feeling as the tube is inserted, and the speculum, which I always hate. Think of it as your annual exam, with a pinch, followed by a crampy, semi-constipated feeling. At least thats how it was for me. The nurse who was in the room for mine said when she had hers, she noticed the same things as I did, but that a woman they'd had in for the same thing earlier that morning said it didn't hurt at all. It really wasn't as bad as I anticipated though. I took 2 aleve at about 9am, and another 2 at 12:30, right before I left for the test, and I felt alright. You'll be alright - I'll be thinking of you, and let us know how it was for you when you get home. :
#3 of 9 Old 11-02-2006, 02:05 PM

Not gonna lie, it hurt really bad for me. Some people barely have any cramping. Take some Tylenol about 45 minutes before you have it, that will help a lot. Also bring a sanitary pad with because you will have some blue colored fluid leaking from the dye. I went right home and rested in bed. A heating pad at home also helped. Try to relax when they inject it, I was really tense. Good luck.

#4 of 9 Old 11-02-2006, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for the input guys. I was asking mostly because I have a lacrosse game tonight and I wanted to figure out before hand if I would have a chance of playing in it. The doctor did give me some Advil and warned me to bring a pantyliner or a pad. I'll be sure to take the Advil before I get there.

I'll be sure to add my feedback after the test so others might also benefit from this thread.

Thanks again.
#5 of 9 Old 11-03-2006, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

So for the sake of others that might take this test as well, it wasn't THAT bad for me. The entire procedure took like less than a minute, and YES, it was uncomfortable. The worst part was that I was spotting afterwards and had to wear a pad for about 6 hours afterwards.

It was a pretty cool procedure, though. I watched it on the screen and it was very interesting to see inside and watch my fallopian tubes fill up!

Everything was good and, to quote my doctor, "You passed!"

So now we are ready to find our donor and start with our first IUI. We have narrowed down to 10 donors, now we have to pick one!
#6 of 9 Old 11-03-2006, 10:13 PM

Mine was not bad at all. Just 2 quick cramps and it was over

Good luck to you!!

Wife to Hank , Mommy to Gabriella 6.5 yrs Anthony 28 monthsand 3 angels wait for me in Heaven Praying to be a Proverbs 31 woman!!
#7 of 9 Old 11-07-2006, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Did anyone else experience cramping and/or spotting days after the exam?

I have had periodic cramping/spotting since the exam on Thursday, and it is now Tuesday morning. I called Telehealth Ontario and spoke with a nurse who recommended I see my doctor, but is this a necessary thing do you think? Last night (overnight) was the last time I have seen any spotting. It was just a brown colour, not bloody, so it's not heavy.

Any input would be appreciated.
#8 of 9 Old 11-07-2006, 12:28 PM

I did on and off for a few days. Unless it was severe I wouldn't worry, I *think* my Dr. said it was normal to spot for a while.
#9 of 9 Old 11-07-2006, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I asked a friend that also had the exam and she said the same thing. I think the nurses at Telehealth were giving me a "worst case scenario" recommendation and didn't want me to take any chances.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page