I don't know if I'm posting this in the right spot... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-19-2003, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I apologize if this isn't the right forum to post this mess in.

I can not stop thinking about TTC #2. Ds is 17 mos old. But my crazy thoughts are holding me back.

I want to lose weight before I get pregnant again, and I seem to be putting this restriction on me, that I HAVE to lose something before getting preg. My mind is playing awful games with me. One mintute I think, if I lose some weight b-4 getting preg I will feel so much better while preg. Then the next minute I think who cares maybe I will never lose the weight and then what? never have another child.....I don't think so!

And I find my mind doing this on and off all day long and what is does is actually make me eat more???!!!! I get so stressed out about wanting to lose weight that I find myself just eating. Vicious cycle. I have been stuck at the same weight for about a year now, so what on earth makes me think I'm going to get rid of it. I guess I should tell you all what I weigh I am 5'8" and weigh 174. I know I'm not horriblely overweight, but I just feel unhealthy.

Am I being silly for wanting to shed some lbs before TTC?
#2 of 8 Old 04-20-2003, 12:21 AM

i don't think its odd at all. I wanted to lose weight before I had any children...but I got pg first......

Then my goal was to lose about 40 pounds before having another...well, I'm doing what I can to shed some pounds but if I get pg before that 40 comes off...oh well! Then I only have to worry about losing the weight once!!

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#3 of 8 Old 04-20-2003, 04:27 AM

You may want to consider that women who have recently lost weight tend to gain more weight during pregnancy than women who are overweight but steady.

This is something I have struggled with, because I think the stress of ttcing has been partly responsible for the 70 lbs I've gained since I started ttc. Personally, I've made the decision that having a child is more important than my weight (but NOT my health, I'm doing my best to improve my diet and get more excercise, without focusing on my size). I understand you might choose differently--you are in a different place right now.

174 lbs at 5'8" hardly qualifies as "plus-size' but I still have to recommend www.plus-size-pregnancy.org which has a lot of great information.
#4 of 8 Old 04-20-2003, 04:53 AM

Also keep in mind that you can strive for better health while pregnant. Dieting and restricing calories and abnormally rigorous excercise are no-no's for sure....but choosing more healthful foods and walking daily and doing strength training are all great things to do while pregnant.....I actually lost fat while pregnant with #2 and was healthier after he was born than when I got pregnant wtih him....just from trying to make little healthful food choices and taking a daily walk.
Of course with all that being said, I am currently in the beginning stages of loosing 60+ lbs so that I can have another baby. but I am obese, which puts me at risk for gestational diabetes and some other stuff so I feel I need to loose the weight (or at least a big chunk of it) before I get pregnant again.

Heidi : Married for 15 years, expecting our 8th baby in July!

#5 of 8 Old 04-20-2003, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your input, I really appreciate it.

younghappymama I think I will take your advice and make some food changes I LOVE sweets and get more exercise...all while TTC, because who knows how long it will take to conceive and in the mean time maybe I will take off 10-15 lbs or not but at least the changes I make will be good for me and hopefully a bundle of joy growing inside of me

Thanks again!
#6 of 8 Old 04-20-2003, 05:53 PM

happy ttc and happy health!

Heidi : Married for 15 years, expecting our 8th baby in July!

#7 of 8 Old 04-20-2003, 09:53 PM

I think having a weight goal is a great thing to be doing in conjunction with TTC. It is much better for you and the baby to have a heathier way of life. This past month I have shifted my ttc obssession to lossing weight and I am not so stressed about not being preggo yet.

I am actually THINKING of not trying so hard anymore at TTC and become more fit and heathy. I would love to loose at least 15 lbs.
#8 of 8 Old 04-21-2003, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
One thing to consider is whether your cycles are nice and regular now, or not. If so, a change in your weight (in either direction) may throw you off, because body fat level affects estrogen production. If your cycles are not perfect, then GRADUALLY attaining your target weight might help.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page