Mothering Forum banner

HSG on Monday

720 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Oceanone 
#1 ·
Hello ladies,

I'm having my HSG on Monday to check out my uterine view
Any of you that could spare a thought, prayer, vibe, energy, etc. to send my way 1pm EST (or anytime) - I'd be most grateful.

Part of me is pretty calm about the whole thing, and then there's the wobbly part of me
Not sure what it'll be like, nor am I sure what they'll find. The doc wants to see if I have a uterine septum, fibroids in the uterine cavity, and/or blockage in my tubes. So, calm, comforting, normal healthy uterus vibes would be greatly appreciated ! Hmm, never thought I'd be striving so hard to be normal

Thanks!
Lisa

See less See more
#6 ·
Well ladies, thanks for your support! Weird feeling it certainly was, some moderate cramping, but nothing awful. And my uterus is so special it made my doctor go "wow"
:

Good news - both fallopian tubes are open and viable, only 1 tiny (1cm) possible fibroid in the lining

Bad news - I've got a bunny eared uterus, in a big way. Nothing my doc has quite seen before. He's not sure at this point if it means I've got a gigundo septum that's separating the uterus in half or that my uterine tubes never got together in the first place.

Next step is to go visit an RE. So he gave me 2 referrals and we'll see what their input is. It's really nice that I've already had the MRI and HSG - that gives the RE more information to go by. Other good news is that we have the right insurance - apparently all the REs in this town work for the same company so if you have the wrong insurance you're screwed and have to drive 2-3 hours away.

I'm feeling pretty calm about it all. I just look at it as the next step to take to find out more information. I'm actually really grateful to have found all of this out before I got pregnant and perhaps had various problems.

DH keeps telling me not to worry, that we'll be ok even if we can't have kids, but I don't feel anywhere near ready to assume we can't have kids. Just didn't think it would be quite this complicated! Well, on we go!

Thanks again for your help today!

Lisa

#8 ·
Jerilyn,

The inside of my uterus looks exactly like two bunny ears that are spread far apart at the top and then meet together just above my cervix. It's either a bicornuate uterus which means that the two tubes that form the uterus didn't come together properly and there's tissue with blood supply dividing it, or it's a septate uterus which means the tubes came together to form the uterus but there's still a septum of fibrous tissue dividing the uterus. The problem with either one is that it limits room for the baby. SU is at higher risk for miscarriage because the baby can implant on the septum and there isn't enough blood supply on the fibrous tissue to nourish the developing embryo. Also because of the shape of the uterus babies tend to lie transverse or breech putting mom at higher risk for c-sec.

If it's a SU, they can do surgery to snip the septum which then leaves you with a pretty much normally shaped uterus if they do it correctly. I'm not sure what they do for BU, especially since my division is almost down the entire uterus. The MRI showed 8mm of conjoined space before my cervix. I guess I'll find out more when I get to meet with the RE.

Lisa

#9 ·
Lisa, thanks for the update. I'm glad you got your answers . Hope the RE can fix everything for you & good luck on your journey. Don't forget to let us know how you are doing. Hmmm, you know it's special when the doctor says "wow" .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.